ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone know how much NIL money GW was rumored to be getting?

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
It's my understanding that GW was Schiano's first big pay recipient when NIL was legalized in the summer of 2021. Does anyone remember or know what the rumored amount was?

I ask because I wonder if that weighed into GS'd calculus for telling GW he wouldn't be starting in 2024. It's not a good use of re$ources to pay relatively large amounts (for RU) to a backup QB. Perhaps GS was motivated to repurpose that money for keeping projected starters or pulling in some people when the portal quiet period ends.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
images

It's my understanding that GW was Schiano's first big pay recipient when NIL was legalized in the summer of 2021. Does anyone remember or know what the rumored amount was?

I ask because I wonder if that weighed into GS'd calculus for telling GW he wouldn't be starting in 2024. It's not a good use of re$ources to pay relatively large amounts (for RU) to a backup QB. Perhaps GS was motivated to repurpose that money for keeping projected starters or pulling in some people when the portal quiet period ends.
Don't know the amount. But I'm curious how that works when they leave. I assume if he stayed he'd keep his NIL even as a backup. But if he leaves what happens? Doubtful his next destination gives much if any NIL.

Don't know the amount. But I'm curious how that works when they leave. I assume if he stayed he'd keep his NIL even as a backup. But if he leaves what happens? Doubtful his next destination gives much if any NIL.
It works just like an employment contract. If you leave, you forfeit any bonus coming your way. To be clear, he voluntarily entered the portal; so he quit his "job".

He'll get a lower-G5 offer if he's lucky. My guess is that he ends up at a C-USA school (Middle Tenn, W Kentucky, FIU) or a good FCS school like Austin Peay, Chattanooga, Richmond.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
It works just like an employment contract. If you leave, you forfeit any bonus coming your way. To be clear, he voluntarily entered the portal; so he quit his "job".
How it works is however the contract says it will work, and contracts can very widely. I've never seen one of these NIL contracts. I don't even know if NIL contracts tend to be the same or if there is a lot of variance. Is it structured more like a signing bonus? Guaranteed money up front? Or is it based on showing up to donor and advertiser events during the course of a year? Being at Rutgers required or not? No idea.

Reactions: RU Cheese
How it works is however the contract says it will work, and contracts can very widely. I've never seen one of these NIL contracts. I don't even know if NIL contracts tend to be the same or if there is a lot of variance. Is it structured more like a signing bonus? Guaranteed money up front? Or is it based on showing up to donor and advertiser events during the course of a year? Being at Rutgers required or not? No idea.

I can’t imagine that a Rutgers collective sponsored NIL contract wouldn’t include a clause that voids the deal for any player who electively chooses to leave Rutgers and enter the portal. A contract with another entity might be different depending on the company. I don’t think Jersey Mikes, for example, would want to feature Gavin wearing a different team’s uniform in a commercial designed to appeal to NJ folks unless it was another local team.

I can’t imagine that a Rutgers collective sponsored NIL contract wouldn’t include a clause that voids the deal for any player who electively chooses to leave Rutgers and enter the portal. A contract with another entity might be different depending on the company. I don’t think Jersey Mikes, for example, would want to feature Gavin wearing a different team’s uniform in a commercial designed to appeal to NJ folks unless it was another local team.
At one level that makes sense and you are probably right. But you never know. For example, if I didn't know it to be the way it's done I would have never imagined that the standard for head coach contracts is to re-sign them for 6 year deals 2-3 years before their current contracts end, with big guarantees, just so they could project confidence and strength to recruits (so they can say to recruits: I'll be here for all 4 of your years here). Guaranteed money is more valuable than contingent money and in a contract you negotiate what you can get.

He'll get a lower-G5 offer if he's lucky. My guess is that he ends up at a C-USA school (Middle Tenn, W Kentucky, FIU) or a good FCS school like Austin Peay, Chattanooga, Richmond.
This.
Most likely an FCS Team if he wishes to start.

At one level that makes sense and you are probably right. But you never know. For example, if I didn't know it to be the way it's done I would have never imagined that the standard for head coach contracts is to re-sign them for 6 year deals 2-3 years before their current contracts end, with big guarantees, just so they could project confidence and strength to recruits (so they can say to recruits: I'll be here for all 4 of your years here). Guaranteed money is more valuable than contingent money and in a contract you negotiate what you can get.

The coach doesn’t get the money if they leave on their own. It’s very different. If the contract was structured they way you described, Gavin could’ve collected a check, come to RU for his frosh season and then transferred to UK and collected another check as a double down. There must be a retention element to it otherwise it makes no sense. When a coach leaves on their own the previous team isn’t responsible for paying out their contract.

The coach doesn’t get the money if they leave on their own. It’s very different. If the contract was structured they way you described, Gavin could’ve collected a check, come to RU for his frosh season and then transferred to UK and collected another check as a double down. There must be a retention element to it otherwise it makes no sense. When a coach leaves on their own the previous team isn’t responsible for paying out their contract.
The parallels aren't perfect. GW did lose his job. The HC doesn't lose his job and become the backup head coach. Regardless, I'd really like to know more about how NIL contracts are structured.

If the NILs are smart there are payouts on a monthly basis. It doesnt seem like a good idea to drop $500,000 into a 18 yr old's back account on Jan 1.

Regarding GW's pay I was just told that a couple of years ago, GW was getting low to mid 6 figures. I'm not sure if that increased for 2024 given that starting centers get $500,000 a year and starting guards get $250,000 these days.

Reactions: Eagleton96
If the NILs are smart there are payouts on a monthly basis. It doesnt seem like a good idea to drop $500,000 into a 18 yr old's back account on Jan 1.
I agree. But it's all supply and demand. If there are 5 schools begging for a kid, and the kid wants guaranteed money, and the kid has an experienced agent, I wouldn't be shocked to see some stupid stuff in the contracts. I've been surprised over and over again by the size of these contracts and how much leverage the players have right now.

I'd imagine this is great opportunity for legal language to take advantage of young players w/o representation. E.g., contract for $1M / year for five years but if you leave school for any reason you must forfeit 200% of payments, etc.

Another NIL thief

My people are coming for their money back

I'd imagine this is great opportunity for legal language to take advantage of young players w/o representation. E.g., contract for $1M / year for five years but if you leave school for any reason you must forfeit 200% of payments, etc.
Word spreads fast. And I think most have agents.

Word spreads fast. And I think most have agents.
No doubt, but the idea of tying a financial disincentive isn't a bad idea. Could forget the penalty and just make the 4x1 structured as 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc.

No doubt, but the idea of tying a financial disincentive isn't a bad idea. Could forget the penalty and just make the 4x1 structured as 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc.
At some point the colleges and the leagues need to swing the pendulum back so the players don't have all the leverage, then we will see more balanced deals.

The problem with that is in most cases the player would probably just get a better deal elsewhere.

Just some tangential news with NIL.

... until the star high school kid says, "No" ... and all the top schools still fall all over themselves to get them on the team anyway. It's not the backup kicker opting out of Bowl games. It's the kids who think they are going to get drafted. The schools can't get together and agree to enforce the clause nationwide because then you're back to collusion and anti-trust issues.

I think I remember reading when he first committed that a Louisville based business was responsible for his NIL payment. Not sure if that changed in the subsequent years.

Reactions: Scarlettplumber
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT