ADVERTISEMENT

Driving Right Hand drive in Turks and Caicos

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Just arrived here in Turks and Caicos, a British Territory, and drove to my hotel using a rental car from Hertz. Much to my surprise, it's a right hand drive small Toyota. Never driven right hand drive before and it feels weird, but I'm enjoying the experience. Driving slow till I get used to it. Thankfully, the Toyota is easily manueverable, thanks to its diminutive size.

A few questions:

- in right hand drive, do you pass on the right?
- the roundabouts have two lanes, when is it appropriate to use the inside lane?
- do you signal when exiting the roundabout?
- is it ok to use no name gas station or should I use Shell?
- Gas is advertised as being 5.19. Is that for a gallon?

Thanks in advance.

Ps: If you know of any great restaurants in Turks and Caicos, please share.

DON'T DRIVE THERE if possible! In the least, be very very careful. Everything is backwards. You go on red light and stop on green light, you pass on the right, you go on circles clockwise. You are bound to get into an accident.

Just left Japan about a year ago, after 4 years there I was pretty messed up. All I can say is good luck! Stay safe, definitely do not drink and drive!

Just arrived here in Turks and Caicos, a British Territory, and drove to my hotel using a rental car from Hertz. Much to my surprise, it's a right hand drive small Toyota. Never driven right hand drive before and it feels weird, but I'm enjoying the experience. Driving slow till I get used to it. Thankfully, the Toyota is easily manueverable, thanks to its diminutive size.

A few questions:

- in right hand drive, do you pass on the right?
- the roundabouts have two lanes, when is it appropriate to use the inside lane?
- do you signal when exiting the roundabout?
- is it ok to use no name gas station or should I use Shell?
- Gas is advertised as being 5.19. Is that for a gallon?

Thanks in advance.

Ps: If you know of any great restaurants in Turks and Caicos, please share.

I've spent a cumulative total of nearly a year in Ireland and loved driving there on all the small, twisty-turny roads, with awesome scenery. Driving on the other side of the road took about 20 minutes to get used to. The foot pedals were identical, but the clutch was operated with the left hand instead of the right. What made it easy for me was advice I had gotten and give to everyone who asks: just remember that regardless of which side of the road you're on (US or UK), as the driver you want to keep as close as possible to the center line - the other thing is rights are easy in the US and lefts are easy in the UK-ish countries.

In right hand drive, you usually would pass on the right if it's a multiline highway (very few of those in Ireland and lots of slow drivers/tractors, so passing by going into oncoming traffic on narrow, twisty roads takes some skill and craziness). For roundabouts, just like here, the inside lane (towards the center of the road is for going straight or further around the roundabout. I never signaled exiting the roundabout. Lastly, you better hope the gas price is per gallon, because if it's $5.19 per liter, you're paying about $20/gallon.

DON'T DRIVE THERE if possible! In the least, be very very careful. Everything is backwards. You go on red light and stop on green light, you pass on the right, you go on circles clockwise. You are bound to get into an accident.

Thankfully they don't have lights here. Instead they have roundabouts. Not a lot of traffic here, so they can get away with it.

I've spent a cumulative total of nearly a year in Ireland and loved driving there on all the small, twisty-turny roads, with awesome scenery. Driving on the other side of the road took about 20 minutes to get used to. The foot pedals were identical, but the clutch was operated with the left hand instead of the right. What made it easy for me was advice I had gotten and give to everyone who asks: just remember that regardless of which side of the road you're on (US or UK), as the driver you want to keep as close as possible to the center line - the other thing is rights are easy in the US and lefts are easy in the UK-ish countries.

In right hand drive, you usually would pass on the right if it's a multiline highway (very few of those in Ireland and lots of slow drivers/tractors, so passing by going into oncoming traffic on narrow, twisty roads takes some skill and craziness). For roundabouts, just like here, the inside lane (towards the center of the road is for going straight or further around the roundabout. I never signaled exiting the roundabout. Lastly, you better hope the gas price is per gallon, because if it's $5.19 per liter, you're paying about $20/gallon.

Thx ru#s and nj canes. Thankfully the island isn't that big, so I shouldn't be using a lot of gas. 2 gallons max.

About 20 years ago flew to Jamaica, and rented a car for the ride from Mo Bay to Negil. Not 2 miles from the Airport rental counter I hit a giant pothole and flatten all 4 tires. Tow truck comes and we ride back to the Airport and proceed to say 'no mas' and we jump in a taxi van and light up a giant Spleef and drink Red Stripe for the 2 hour stomach turning drive to Negril.

Moral of the story....if a taxi isn't much more costly.. that's the way to go.

Just went to T&C in March and rented a car. The scariest part is the first few times you go to pull out of a parking lot and think its safe to pull out and you don't realize/ remember which lanes traffic is flowing . We almost got T boned . Also stay off the scooters saw a lady with a really bloody knee after hitting a car.

T&C is beautiful Hope you made your restaurant reservations already some places are booked earlly.

The Somerset on Grace Bay has a good restaurant and is a fabulous hotel. Charter a private boat and the captain will take you to great spots and cook the conch you drive for.

Driving on the "other side" is a lot easier in England / Scotland / Ireland because you are driving cars that are built for it - the driver's seat is on the right & almost everything is flipped from what you are used to - so if you can mentally make the switch - it is a fairly consistent adjustment - because your entire driving environment is different (except for gas pedal & brake)

Driving on the "other side" in many of the Caribbean islands can be a bit more challenging & weird - in a lot of places you are using regular US-style cars with the driver seated on the left - but you have to drive on the left side of the road - so, the driver has to make sure that they really, really hug the curb - so that the passenger's side of the car is not riding in the oncoming lane!
Since you are sitting in a car that is "normal" to you - in terms of configuration- you need to keep on your toes to stay alert to the fact that you need to be on the 'other side of the road' -

Round-a-bouts are challenging - but what is even tougher are weird - unconventional intersections - like one where 5 roads come together & you have to cross through - figure which road you need to be on - and which side of that road to aim for!

Yeah, several years ago we were in Tortola where they drive on the left but rent out regular American type cars (well used ones at that). Fortunately there wasn't a heck of a lot of traffic.

The bottom line message of the story....investigate snd fo your treat ch in advance. You have a college degree or two Al so many of the questions you ask could have been answered before you even got on a plane. Honestly, unless you are joking with us, one cannot believe some on the common sense daily living this you present to this forum. Are you really an alien ftom another planet. Do the research beforehand! It runs any credibility you may have. Most of the time it is very funny and hard to believe.

The bottom line message of the story....investigate snd fo your treat ch in advance. You have a college degree or two Al so many of the questions you ask could have been answered before you even got on a plane. Honestly, unless you are joking with us, one cannot believe some on the common sense daily living this you present to this forum. Are you really an alien ftom another planet. Do the research beforehand! It runs any credibility you may have. Most of the time it is very funny and hard to believe.
Just went to T&C in March and rented a car. The scariest part is the first few times you go to pull out of a parking lot and think its safe to pull out and you don't realize/ remember which lanes traffic is flowing . We almost got T boned . Also stay off the scooters saw a lady with a really bloody knee after hitting a car.

T&C is beautiful Hope you made your restaurant reservations already some places are booked earlly.

+1 om being careful in parking lots. It's fairly easy to get the hang of driving on the left with road markings and signs. But, in unmarked parking lots, it's easy to find yourself tempted to veer to the right.

What's the over/under on how many tickets Al gets? The guy can't properly operate a car in the US. Oversees is a disaster waiting to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT