ADVERTISEMENT

Duggan spoofed by Fake Nova Twitter account

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
Duggan tweeted a link to a story he did yesterday, only to learn later he used a fake nova Twitter acct. as his source. what ever happened to picking up the phone or texting "hey I am writiting an article on you". Makes you wonder about his sources in general.

Who the heck makes a Gary Nova spoof twitter account and then keeps it active?

There is something very odd about this.

Serves him right. This is hilarious. :) Pretty sure 33% of the posters on this board could do DG's job better than he does. At least this didn't become a national negative story before DG's shaky source was outed. What else has this Twitter account fueled in the past? I'm all for traditional media houses adapting to the digital age, but speed should not compromise baseline accuracy.

Reactions: redking
Duggan tweeted a link to a story he did yesterday, only to learn later he used a fake nova Twitter acct. as his source. what ever happened to picking up the phone or texting "hey I am writiting an article on you". Makes you wonder about his sources in general.

Just curious, how do you know it's fake? Btw, Baum was always good at letting everyone know rather quickly of a fake twitter account.

Nova contacted him after Duggan published his story and told him that while he supports the NYPD a lot, the twitter account Duggan was using as a source was fake.

Also agree with DJ Spanky, journalistic standards have fallen so far these days. I mean just a cursory check would have probably snuffed this out. Just take whatever is out there at face value without the slightest bit of digging. Obviously, he hasn't learned his lesson from the past.

Baum was notifying people of the fake Nova account frequently last season, and possibly beforehand. Reminds me of when the Ledger claimed Mulcahy never disclosed his son's affiliation with Nelligan despite an article themselves about it a couple years earlier.

Duggan uses twitter or this board for about 75% of his articles. If you ever actually read most of his articles they are quotes from other articles or sources.

Reactions: redking
Nova contacted him after Duggan published his story and told him that while he supports the NYPD a lot, the twitter account Duggan was using as a source was fake.

Also agree with DJ Spanky, journalistic standards have fallen so far these days. I mean just a cursory check would have probably snuffed this out. Just take whatever is out there at face value without the slightest bit of digging. Obviously, he hasn't learned his lesson from the past.
Interesting. Looks like it fooled a lot of people if you look at who retweeted & favorited it.

I'm sure it did but the standard for john doe on the internet versus a journalist printing a story aren't the same. If you, me or whomever fell for it that's fine, we're not journalists at a paper writing a story about it so it's not a big deal. Duggan is a journalist, although I should use that term loosely these days, so it is a big deal for him to get his facts right.

There are so many instances of Duggan doing shoddy reporting, it's pathetic.

I just took a look at the fake Nova account- I must admit it would have fooled me. Kinda eery. There are some weird people out there.

Duggan is a journalist. .

nxkih3.jpg.gif

Calling Duggan a journalist, is like calling my weed dealer a pharmaceutical sales rep. IF I had a weed dealer.

There is a fakeGaryNova Twitter handle out there as well though it seems to be inactive since the end of the season. It was pretty funny.

Duggan uses twitter or this board for about 75% of his articles. If you ever actually read most of his articles they are quotes from other articles or sources.

Noticed that this message board will start a topic, then Duggan will have an article about it...he is clearly lurking around on here being a coward.

The best is when he writes an article headline as if he interviewed so and so then you read the article and its quotes from someone elses radio interview...what a joke...

As far as the Nova twitter, why is that even a story? Kid sends out a tweet sympathizing about a cop being shot...Dugan was trying to stir the pot on a controversial issue, why would that be news on a god dam football website!!!!

So the Gary Nova that called him was fake and lied about the twitter being fake so now Duggan got duped twice

GaryNova10 was shut down by twitter yesterday. They are pretty good about this once identified. If you mark as a parody acct they will allow them to stay open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT