ADVERTISEMENT

Duke 5* signee Mackenzie Mgbako (Roselle Catholic c/o 2023) potentially reopening his recruitment

kcg88

Heisman Winner
Aug 11, 2017
Duke is getting some of last year's class back and is pursuing transfers so it sounds like a top-10 prospect from New Jersey may be reopening his recruitment. Pretty crazy landscape out there these days.

(To be clear I'm posting this because it's interesting CBB content, not because I think Rutgers has a chance)

Last edited:
Kentucky, Memphis and OSU were his other finalists, all with significant NIL collectives and the latter 2 will have plenty of playing time.

FIND NIL MONEY NOW!!!!

This is where we need one of our heavy hitters to jump in (again). I am not attempting to spend someone else’s hard earned money but $25/month contributions aren’t going to cut it here until we have 10,000 people (like me) on the books. Hopefully one of the bigguns has another arrow in their quiver.

This is where we need one of our heavy hitters to jump in (again). I am not attempting to spend someone else’s hard earned money but $25/month contributions aren’t going to cut it here until we have 10,000 people (like me) on the books. Hopefully one of the bigguns has another arrow in their quiver.
Saw a list of previous suitors that maybe he did not visit the first go round, then throw in St Johns
Based on that, the NIL will be crazy and probably beyond RU
We cab hope that his Jersey roots is a plus

ricky GIF

Saw a list of previous suitors that maybe he did not visit the first go round, then throw in St Johns
Based on that, the NIL will be crazy and probably beyond RU
We cab hope that his Jersey roots is a plus
Louisville too. They have a war chest and former Duke assistant Nolan Smith now on staff

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Wonder if he actually talked to the coaches before posting this…never know with this generation.
This was directly related to two player’s returning that were considering leaving

The announcements of them returning and this recruit wanting out were almost at the same time

Reactions: MiloTalon13
He’ll wind up at the highest bidder. College sports recruiting isnt much different than a cattle auction these days due to pay for play.

So what do you guys think this kid gets for a NIL deal? For example, he has on his IG and post with GFuel (A decently well known energy drink company) - What do you think that got him?

I don't blame him for asking out, just because you have the best or most talent, you still have to make it work on the floor for 40 minutes.

It wasn’t me who said it, but Duke was also Duke this season, and Scheyer couldn’t get them out of the first weekend.
By composite ranking - class of 2022 Duke had: #1, #2, #4, #22, #61 and #91
Class of 2023 from Rivals they have #12, #13, #18 and #19 - after losing #6

Didn’t someone just say “Duke isn’t Duke” anymore? That they were only appealing because of Coach K and recruits aren’t signing up to play for HC Scheyer?
I wasn't one of them, find an instance when I did. I've said Coach K has bought his players by shady dealings since the early 90s, maybe even the 80s. You can stick a monkey in a suit as coach and Duke alumni will still buy plenty of 4 and 5 ⭐ all American recruits to play there today. Scheyer didn't change that fact, it's just a wait and see if Scheyer becomes a good roster manager and good head coach like K. Coach K had his years where he figured it out and years where he couldn't make it work despite the amount of talent.

I just don't like Duke or Coach K, never have never will. Didn't like Danny Ferry teams, Didn't like Hills and Laettner over Tark's bought UNLV teams, didn't like them vs Pitino and Kentucky, the Fab 5 and Michigan, didn't like when Coach K quit on the season in 94-95 for an undisclosed surgery when he knew his team was going to miss the NCAA tournament, 11 in a row up til that year, and he could blame it on his interim guy because he missed on recruits he wanted and finished 13-18 that year, 9-3 while coaching, 4-15 after, other tampering stuff like Lance Thomas, Jay Williams, Dahntay Jones, list goes on and on.

Didn’t someone just say “Duke isn’t Duke” anymore? That they were only appealing because of Coach K and recruits aren’t signing up to play for HC Scheyer?

That was me. I still stand by it. It will take a year or two but eventually Scheyer will be exposed. In fact, what does it say that Duke has three 5* players coming back from last year? I thought 5* are one and done players. Are some believing that Scheyer is so good he convinced these kids to stay? Or perhaps Scheyer doesn’t have the chops to prepare the one and dones to go pro. Based on the talent last year they should’ve easily won the ACC, made a deep run, and put all those 5* at the top of draft. They went 0-3. They should be even better next year. So let’s see.

That was me. I still stand by it. It will take a year or two but eventually Scheyer will be exposed. In fact, what does it say that Duke has three 5* players coming back from last year? I thought 5* are one and done players. Are some believing that Scheyer is so good he convinced these kids to stay? Or perhaps Scheyer doesn’t have the chops to prepare the one and dones to go pro. Based on the talent last year they should’ve easily won the ACC, made a deep run, and put all those 5* at the top of draft. They went 0-3. They should be even better next year. So let’s see.
Duke had 4 5* guys according to 2022 Rivals.
I've only ever seen 3 Duke guys in the 1st round all season (Whitehead, Lively and Filipowski).
2 of those 3 are gone with Filipowski returning. But it's not for lack of "being prepared". If Filipowski declared - he's a likely 1st round pick. Look up any mock draft you want.
So yes, it was something or someone that talked him into staying - not sure that’s the HC though.

The 4th guy Mitchell was never on 1st round mock drafts. He was also only rated #21 overall (which is lower than Gavin and some say Gavin could never be an early draft entrant).

He “developed” them exactly on track as expected preseason.

As for team results, not really relevant to a recruiting argument.
And as for 2023 - looks like he got another 5 5*? So some kids are drinking the Duke kool aid still.

In my opinion, I think it has more to do with NIL than lack of preparation. It changes things when the opportunity cost of staying in school includes a guarantee of 7 figure income. Not if your a guaranteed lottery pick, but if there’s any chance you might dip to round 2 taking the money and enjoying another year of college could be a safer bet.

I wasn't one of them, find an instance when I did. I've said Coach K has bought his players by shady dealings since the early 90s, maybe even the 80s. You can stick a monkey in a suit as coach and Duke alumni will still buy plenty of 4 and 5 ⭐ all American recruits to play there today. Scheyer didn't change that fact, it's just a wait and see if Scheyer becomes a good roster manager and good head coach like K. Coach K had his years where he figured it out and years where he couldn't make it work despite the amount of talent.

I just don't like Duke or Coach K, never have never will. Didn't like Danny Ferry teams, Didn't like Hills and Laettner over Tark's bought UNLV teams, didn't like them vs Pitino and Kentucky, the Fab 5 and Michigan, didn't like when Coach K quit on the season in 94-95 for an undisclosed surgery when he knew his team was going to miss the NCAA tournament, 11 in a row up til that year, and he could blame it on his interim guy because he missed on recruits he wanted and finished 13-18 that year, 9-3 while coaching, 4-15 after, other tampering stuff like Lance Thomas, Jay Williams, Dahntay Jones, list goes on and on.

Can’t stand Coach k for same reasons

Biggest reason though:no bigger hypocrite in college sports. The whole world knew they were paying players $$$$$, giving family members jobs etc yet coach k/ Duke was touted as this clean program that “did it the right way”.

Made me want to vomit every time the likes of Dukey V sang his praises.

Coach k had the most pompous self- righteous demeanor. Just a total douche of the highest order

Last edited:
I get I’m on an island here — and I could be wrong. Duke’s class last year and this year are great. But I’m looking 2-3 years down the road. I just don’t think Scheyer is the type of rare young guy who comes out of nowhere and becomes an elite head coach. In fact, most of the guys like him fail. So, while he’s shown he can recruit in the NIL world, I don’t see it lasting.

I’ll bookmark this one for me and check back in 2 seasons.

I get I’m on an island here — and I could be wrong. Duke’s class last year and this year are great. But I’m looking 2-3 years down the road. I just don’t think Scheyer is the type of rare young guy who comes out of nowhere and becomes an elite head coach. In fact, most of the guys like him fail. So, while he’s shown he can recruit in the NIL world, I don’t see it lasting.

I’ll bookmark this one for me and check back in 2 seasons.
What's the measure of success? If he gets 3-5 Five star recruits every year, 2-3 first-round picks and makes the tournament, is that success? I could see him doing that. Many of those recruits care more about being a first-round pick than being part of a FF run - quite understandably.

What's the measure of success? If he gets 3-5 Five star recruits every year, 2-3 first-round picks and makes the tournament, is that success? I could see him doing that. Many of those recruits care more about being a first-round pick than being part of a FF run - quite understandably.

If he does that I’ll be wrong.

Duke had 4 5* guys according to 2022 Rivals.
I've only ever seen 3 Duke guys in the 1st round all season (Whitehead, Lively and Filipowski).
2 of those 3 are gone with Filipowski returning. But it's not for lack of "being prepared". If Filipowski declared - he's a likely 1st round pick. Look up any mock draft you want.
So yes, it was something or someone that talked him into staying - not sure that’s the HC though.

The 4th guy Mitchell was never on 1st round mock drafts. He was also only rated #21 overall (which is lower than Gavin and some say Gavin could never be an early draft entrant).

He “developed” them exactly on track as expected preseason.

As for team results, not really relevant to a recruiting argument.
And as for 2023 - looks like he got another 5 5*? So some kids are drinking the Duke kool aid still.
They had a pretty good season considering that Whitehead began the season with a broken foot and Lively was playing hurt all year. Still won 27 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT