ADVERTISEMENT

Edit: NVM. I guess it's OK lol. Announced attendance 52,454 (Capacity). Edit: 425 people found their tix..now 52,879

3rd party brokers like stubhub?

Why would Rutgers refund them? What's your source on that? They probably sell them to StubHub for cheap, but they're still selling them. You're saying every single ticket sold to StubHub for them to resell is refunded? Highly highly doubt that.
Stubhub is just a ticket exchange - a medium for people to purchase tickets from other people/outlets. They don’t actually purchase ticket inventory themselves. There is 0 chance they RU is refunding any unsold tickets. Athletic departments would rear back in horror at that type of week to week financial fluidity.

Attendance means being there, regardless of different reporting criteria. It does seem lame to cite #s everyone knows are grossly inflated, but who really cares …

Last edited:
The English language is more important than what sports teams say. They don't have the power to change the meaning of words.
As an English major who writes for a living, clearly I agree with you that the language is intrinsically more IMPORTANT. In the grand scheme, sports as a whole aren’t that important. But I also understand and admit that just because I don’t like a common practice doesn’t mean it’s going to change. And it most certainly is, has been and will be common practice throughout the entire sporting world. It’s not some outlier conspiracy by the Rutgers athletic department or football program, like some are insinuating.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Box Score: Updated ATTENDANCE: 52879

In 2009, Rutgers, the Birthplace of College Football, completed a $102 million expansion of SHI Stadium to increase the capacity to 52,454

Seriously I just found it funny. But if other schools are doing it too then IDC so much.

No idea where you came up with that number but it sounds like it could be pretty accurate.
I don't know....nor does he....but even on game day morning there really were NOT a lot of tickets available on SH. Lots and lots of 2's here and there - in every section - but I went through it while headed down in the car and expected a helluva lot more. There were NOT huge swaths of tickets available in ANY sections. I'm pretty sure his "12,000" is 100% manufactured.

Box Score: Updated ATTENDANCE: 52879

In 2009, Rutgers, the Birthplace of College Football, completed a $102 million expansion of SHI Stadium to increase the capacity to 52,454

Seriously I just found it funny. But if other schools are doing it too then IDC so much.
Every pro team in every sport does it too. The Yankees announced a full house on the
last home
game of the season. a Monday afternoon makeup game in the rain when there were about 600 people in the stands

Every pro team in every sport does it too. The Yankees announced a full house on the
last home
game of the season. a Monday afternoon makeup game in the rain when there were about 600 people in the stands
yeah. That's fine. Seriously. If it is the industry standard and we're not making fools of ourselves then so be it. That's why I love this forum. You learn a lot.

Just one of those things that irked me..like when they add overtime stats to the team results and inflated things or the grounding call that really has no penalty (actually has a benefit..it stops the clock). .

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersNo1
It would bother me if RU uses the exaggeration in sales/marketing efforts.

As in “don’t miss out, hurry and buy now because our games always sell out..”

I haven’t noticed that though.

As an English major who writes for a living, clearly I agree with you that the language is intrinsically more IMPORTANT. In the grand scheme, sports as a whole aren’t that important. But I also understand and admit that just because I don’t like a common practice doesn’t mean it’s going to change. And it most certainly is, has been and will be common practice throughout the entire sporting world. It’s not some outlier conspiracy by the Rutgers athletic department or football program, like some are insinuating.
Really? Language and the meaning of words themselves are seen everyday to be easily changed or misinterpreted by many.

This was written before the season
Touches a lot on attendance

last home

I wonder how much this has boosted movie ticket sales the last decade or so.
Would image that their is a big jump in "tickets purchases but not used".
Previously, you could only purchase in person at the box office as you were walking in.
Literally tickets sales = attendance. There was no "buying in advance then not using" like sport season ticket sales or something.

Now you can buy online days in advance and just not use them if something else comes up.

No idea where you came up with that number but it sounds like it could be pretty accurate.

I don't know....nor does he....but even on game day morning there really were NOT a lot of tickets available on SH. Lots and lots of 2's here and there - in every section - but I went through it while headed down in the car and expected a helluva lot more. There were NOT huge swaths of tickets available in ANY sections. I'm pretty sure his "12,000" is 100% manufactured.
I don’t know about 12K but I do know it must have been a significant number because of the difficulty of getting one ticket in my Section for homecoming.

There is hardly anyone who has season tickets around us. Always different folks. So normally it’s very easy to pick up a ticket or two right next to us or a Row above or below. Not this week. And I’m sure it just had to with homecoming. As that’s why my rep and I discussed.

Although, win at Indy and I might have the the same problem for tOSU.🤷‍♂️

I don’t know about 12K but I do know it must have been a significant number because of the difficulty of getting one ticket in my Section for homecoming.

There is hardly anyone who has season tickets around us. Always different folks. So normally it’s very easy to pick up a ticket or two right next to us or a Row above or below. Not this week. And I’m sure it just had to with homecoming. As that’s why my rep and I discussed.

Although, win at Indy and I might have the the same problem for tOSU.🤷‍♂️

Wondering if some of this had to do with family weekend. Discount Ticket holdbacks for RU Family/Friends. We knew a few from our town with freshman who went to the tailgate and never made it into the game.

Stubhub is just a ticket exchange - a medium for people to purchase tickets from other people/outlets. They don’t actually purchase ticket inventory themselves. There is 0 chance they RU is refunding any unsold tickets. Athletic departments would rear back in horror at that type of week to week financial fluidity.
Every game played at Shi { minus a Penn St. or OSU} has thousands and thousands of empty seats on game day. Particularly in the Upper Decks, Corners, and the North Endzone. If you are thinking all these seats were sold and people decided not to show up on game day you are incorrect. The games are called “sold out” because the inventory had shifted from Rutgers to 3rd party ticket websites. Not sold .. no revenue generated for the leftover unsold seats…. if anything it is pennies on the dollar for the athletic department.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Wondering if some of this had to do with family weekend. Discount Ticket holdbacks for RU Family/Friends. We knew a few from our town with freshman who went to the tailgate and never made it into the game.
Things like that (Family Weekend, Homecoming) are usually the only time when I see someone who looks like they are a student (with their family) or have some sort of connection to RU in our neck of the woods.

Most of the time it’s just young families, groups of visiting fans or other organizations that sit near us. Different crowd and different vibe every game.

Really? Language and the meaning of words themselves are seen everyday to be easily changed or misinterpreted by many.
Agreed they change over the years, and agree there are many with poor reading comprehension. Although not sure what that has to do with my post explaining that MLB, NBA, NFL and college football all report tickets sold, so Rutgers is no outlier here.

Agreed they change over the years, and agree there are many with poor reading comprehension. Although not sure what that has to do with my post explaining that MLB, NBA, NFL and college football all report tickets sold, so Rutgers is no outlier here.
Were you the poster who mentioned language and how it doesn’t change? If not sorry. Language is and has been manipulated by the public for quite some time now. Used by many groups to influence .

Were you the poster who mentioned language and how it doesn’t change? If not sorry. Language is and has been manipulated by the public for quite some time now. Used by many groups to influence .
That was most decidedly not me. Likely the poster I was responding to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT