ADVERTISEMENT

Edit: NVM. I guess it's OK lol. Announced attendance 52,454 (Capacity). Edit: 425 people found their tix..now 52,879

yup but you'll get the dolts that will harp on sold tickets

it's a joke but the cult of greg will wash it away as the tickets were sold.
Those hard working loyal sons won today, Greg included. Does it really matter?

This argument reminds me of people who don't understand the difference between "income" and "cashflow". When you are 9 years old and running a lemonade stand, they are the same thing. But when you are an adult, running a business, you know they are not the same.

Just like "income" is defined by accounting rules, "Paid Attendance" and "Actual Attendance" are defined by NCAA rules, specifically NCAA Division 1 Operating Bylaw 20.10.9.3. Paid attendance and actual attendance are both counts of attendance, but they are not the same.

If you don't like the NCAA's definition, complain to the NCAA. But stop accusing universities of doing something nefarious for following well-established, well-published NCAA rules. It makes you sound like a child running a lemonade stand.

Below is an explanation of the rules that I posted in September.

NCAA Bylaw 20.10.9.3 allows two options to count attendance for football games to satisfy FBS Football Attendance Requirements. The rules are pretty specific and quite lengthy, but here is a summary.

"Actual Attendance" is the first option to count attendance. It is basically a count of the people who walk through the gate to attend the game.

"Paid Attendance" is the second option to count attendance. It is a count of the number of tickets sold for at least 1/3 the pre-established ticket price + the number of tickets sold for less than 1/3 the pre-established ticket price and actually used for admission + a bunch of complicated rules about how to count students.

For example, let's say Rutgers has pre-established $60 as the price of a football ticket, meaning $20 is one-third the pre-established price. And let's say Rutgers has distributed tickets as follows:

• 20,000 Season Tickets sold at an average price of $55 per game, plus a required R Fund donation. Since $55 is more than one-third the pre-established price, all 20,000 season tickets count as paid attendance, regardless of whether they are used to enter the stadium. If 15,000 tickets are used, paid attendance is still 20,000.
  • 10,000 single-game tickets sold at $60 each. All 10,000 count as paid attendance, regardless of whether they are used. If 8,000 are used, paid attendance is still 10,000.
  • 10,000 single-game tickets sold as part of a buy-one-get-one promotion. Although that is 5000 pairs of tickets, there really aren't any free tickets; all the tickets are paid for as part of the promotion. The buyers are paying $60 for a pair of tickets, or $30 each. Since $30 is greater than one-third the pre-established price, all 10,000 BOGO tickets count as paid attendance, regardless of whether they are used or not. If 7,000 are used, paid attendance is still 10,000.
  • 3000 tickets given at no charge to basketball season-ticket holders, of which 2000 are used to enter the stadium. Only the 2000 which are actually used count as paid attendance.
  • 3000 tickets given at no charge to local charitable organizations, of which 1000 are used. Only the 1000 which are used count as paid attendance.
  • 7000 students who count as paid attendance based on the student attendance rules.

You might have 40,000 fans in the stadium (15K season tickets, 8K single game, 7K BOGO, 2K basketball promo, 1K charity, 7K students), and some people who don't understand the NCAA rules might argue that only 35,000 tickets were sold. But according to NCAA rules, Paid Attendance is 50,000.

Last edited:
This argument reminds me of people who don't understand the difference between "income" and "cashflow". When you are 9 years old and running a lemonade stand, they are the same thing. But when you are an adult, running a business, you know they are not the same.

Just like "income" is defined by accounting rules, "Paid Attendance" and "Actual Attendance" are defined by NCAA rules, specifically NCAA Bylaw 20.10.9.3. Paid attendance and actual attendance are both counts of attendance, but they are not the same.

If you don't like the NCAA's definition, complain to the NCAA. But stop accusing universities of doing something nefarious for following well-established, well-published NCAA rules. It makes you sound like a child running a lemonade stand.

Below is an explanation of the rules that I posted in September.
You don’t show up often these days, but when you do, it’s worthwhile.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Do they announce "the # of tickets sold" or "attendance"?

Because these are very different things.
Not in the real world. And I say this as somebody who has been covering pro sports for 30 years. MLB hasn't done turnsiles since 1992. Neither does NBA or NFL. That is a bygone era. (I've never covered an NHL game, and I don't speak on things I know nothing about)

Lol man. This is bullshit. So you sell StubHub 15k Tix for a dollar so you can call it sold out?
Hey, I had a party at my house and had 30 thousand people here. Thats how many saud yes that I invited.

Like I said . It's a joke and I find it embarrassing. But bottom line I was there as always..
This is not at all what they do.

Many season ticket holders did not show up due to the terrible weather, but their numbers still count as paid attendance. This is how the NCAA reporting works, so the number reported by Rutgers is accurate. Just enjoy the win or complain to the NCAA if you don’t like their methodology. No need to chastise Rutgers for this.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Idk what you guys are talking about, that was a packed house.

SHI was rockin today!

I will actually say i was quite impressed with the turnout despite the miserable forecast and coming off a loss. At its peak in 1st Q there were more than Wagner and a good student showing. Overall more than 50% full so 28/30k ish if not more from others standing on the concourse … can’t blame anyone who left early

Reactions: RUskoolie
Not in the real world. And I say this as somebody who has been covering pro sports for 30 years. MLB hasn't done turnsiles since 1992. Neither does NBA or NFL. That is a bygone era. (I've never covered an NHL game, and I don't speak on things I know nothing about)
The English language is more important than what sports teams say. They don't have the power to change the meaning of words.

I never understood this gripe of all the things to complain about.

Who cares what they announce?
What “credibility” had the AD lost?

All that matters is tickets sold and money generated.
In stadium advertisers care. Bogus number.

Is this really what keeps you up at night? Actual attendance versus reported attendance.

Some people care about the actual game — others care about the color of the uniforms, if there was enough hot coco, or I guess the attendance reporting numbers. Haha.

Do you understand the concept of tickets sold?
Do understand the concept of tickets distributed to 3rd Party Ticket Brokers but not ultimately sold ?
Unsold tickets are certainly refunded by Rutgers after the event. Not a sell out.

To my mind the only number that should be announced is people who walked into the stadium. Other numbers don't matter to fans and players, only accountants and PR people, maybe.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
Do understand the concept of tickets distributed to 3rd Party Ticket Brokers but not ultimately sold ?
Unsold tickets are certainly refunded by Rutgers after the event. Not a sell out.
3rd party brokers like stubhub?

Why would Rutgers refund them? What's your source on that? They probably sell them to StubHub for cheap, but they're still selling them. You're saying every single ticket sold to StubHub for them to resell is refunded? Highly highly doubt that.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Why does it matter to you so much? Who freaking cares except a handful of complainers?
Because I'm not interested in being propagandized to. If someone is going to release data, any normal person would desire that it be correct information.

Last edited:
Beat Indiana on Saturday and that 52k will be actual attendance.

The other point is that in the future no one will remember that the game was basically rained out. All they will see is that attendance number. Perception is everything in college sports.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Johnny Langan said it best after the game. We havent earned having a big crowd on a day like today.

Tickets sold and money collected…just like every other attendance figure in any sport.

I would wager than no event ever has actually been "sold out" with 100% attendance.

Even Taylor Swift concerts.
I guarantee that at least one empty seat from someone who couldn't make it, got in an accident on the way, life event came up.

We need context on what part of the game was that taken
Could have been the last few minutes
Of course it could have been. Michigan also had a large chunk of their student section empty this week. Yet, they announced a sell out. It is just how schools do it now a days.

Of course it could have been. Michigan also had a large chunk of their student section empty this week. Yet, they announced a sell out. It is just how schools do it now a days.

Bad examples.

stadiums that were pretty full but students and other fans left early is different than half the crowd not even going into the stadium

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT