ADVERTISEMENT

Face it, at best we’re a bubble team again

Do people forget that this is how seasons start with Pike? He messes with rotations until he finds what works. That we have 3 double digit wins without Geo while he tinkers, in my opinion, bodes quite well for us.
Its amusing how people make season-long assumptions after 3 games. Wasn't it last year that Bryant missed a shot at the buzzer that would have beat us in game #1?

I am sure it was last year that we were embarrassed by St Bonnaventure.

Yet we still would have been a lock for the tourney.

We were always in control in each of our first 3 games aside from a few min early against FDU.

This team already appears to be more talented than last year. Harper, Mathis and Young are all significantly better. Mag and Cliff provide new quality depth. We have scoring options now.

Way too early for "were just a bubble team" talk.

It's way to early to make this take. You may be right but you need to give this team time to gel and get Baker back healthy. If I remember correctly after the first 3 games last year no one thought we would be an NIT team. This was the third game in 5 days with no real pre season so yeah you should have expected us to look sluggish today.

KenPom ranked us as the #27 team. The model projected we'd win by 25, 21, and 15.

We won by 23, 21, and 14. Pretty much spot on, and his model does not account for injuries. We're a fringe top-25 team. Better than "bubble team at best," maybe not Sweet 16 good.

Nothing we have seen so far will tell us much about what we can expect to see this year
Last years team was lucky to beat Bryant in the opener and then lost to The Bonnies and Pittsburg
How did that team turn out?
We are playing without Geo
We do not know what the rotation is going to be
We have 3 freshman playing their first college minutes
With Geo in the lineup, this years 5 is better then last years 5, even with the loss of Kwasi
Cliff gives us the luxury now of always having a real “big” in the game
We never have to change diffensively and Pyke can continue to hedge aggressively
Shaq wasn’t long or athletic enough to do that
Mag and Oscar will take some time to adjust to
“Pyke play “
Look back at how bad Mathis, Young and Caleb looked in their first few games
Miles , Ron , Mathis and Young will all be better then last years version
Geo is Geo ( nothing needs to be said about the possibly the best clutch player in RU history) and we just need him to be healthy
What you see is what you get from PM
Between Mag and Oscar , all we need is to replace Calebs production and we are much better then last year and last years team could have won a couple of games in the tourney
Give it time folks
Been watching RU hoops since 1974, we are poised to see something special

KenPom ranked us as the #27 team. The model projected we'd win by 25, 21, and 15.

We won by 23, 21, and 14. Pretty much spot on, and his model does not account for injuries. We're a fringe top-25 team. Better than "bubble team at best," maybe not Sweet 16 good.
Exactly, this team has taken care of business the way they were supposed to. Without Baker for all but about 10 minutes I believe. Last year at this time no one thought we were an NIT team after the first 3 games so to make the statement the OP made is pre mature. I'd love to get a game before the cuse match up. Especially so pike can figure out his rotation before the conference schedule starts. As long as this team plays defense and rebounds we will be in every single game we play. Just a matter of how long Baker will be out.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
All fair points in this thread, but at the same time name one player who regressed under Pike who has legit potential. Our defense will get better as the year goes on and we will continue to see fast breaks. With that said we obviously need work in the half court game, but this is an NCAA tournament team. all teams go through stretches of injuries, luckily for her us( hopefully our last) that stretch has come early for us and we have weathered it.

A healthy Geo and we’re a tournament team without question.
I’ll Face this, without Geo, we’re a bubble team at best

Reactions: thegock
A healthy Geo and we’re a tournament team without question.
I’ll Face this, without Geo, we’re a bubble team at best
Zappa, I'd just say it this way: Without Geo, we are LIKELY a bubble team. But we have a lot of players and yet to gel, so we don't really know how high they can go. I object to the "at best" part.

Reactions: Scangg and zappaa
Zappa, I'd just say it this way: Without Geo, we are LIKELY a bubble team. But we have a lot of players and yet to gel, so we don't really know how high they can go. I object to the "at best" part.
Scary to me:
Paul and Jacob running the offense.
Jacob can take over a game in spurts and give tremendous minutes...Paul has a roll.
The offense goes thru Geo

The screen names change over the years but the carping remains the same. How many times did people bemoan the loss of Corey Sanders? How many times did people criticize Pike last season, saying the offense should be doing this or that or the defense should be doing this or that? It is the nature of message boards and the Era of the Hot Take. The carpers certainly know our personnel better than the coaches do and know how to coach better than Pike and his staff do. That is a given. This is the most talented roster we have had in many years and Rutgers has become a plausible destination for good HS kids. To bad prospective signees cannot see what the RAC is like in normal times, but this is 2020.

Most every team is scuffling with the lack of practices and scrimmages and playing in empty arenas. We are also missing Geo. Did you people even hear the announcers talking often about how disorganized we were without him? How guys like JY were styling some and looking for their own shot? As for missing Yeboah and Caleb--fine. But give our freshmen a chance. Three games after the preseason, 2020 style? Really? Those who complain about Paul Mulcahy not progressing offensively forger he has had two excellent floor games with a bunch of rebounds and assists. In this era of shoot-first PGs he may be an anachronism. All great PG's have been good scorers--John Stockton averaged 13 PPG in the NBA, or something like that, Paul is just starting his soph year. He showed glimpses of offense at times last year, and scored well in HS. It will come. Is there anyone out there who, after reflection, doesn't think our four freshmen are a talent upgrade and as the season progresses, will more than make up for the losses of Yeboah and Shaq and Caleb's red shirt? Perspective, people. Know this is a message board and fans are irrational creatures. But reading the game threads--and the game thread of our win over Purdue in that game with helmets was unnerving.

I can't believe this thread was posted. We are 3-0 with all double digit wins despite our best player being injured and no, being on the bubble is not this team's ceiling considering all the exciting new recruits on the roster. Shame on the OP for injecting this type of negativity during a season most Rutgers basketball fans have been waiting for a very long time.

Anyone who was around in the middle 70s and listened to knightline heard this exact same thing ...anything but perfection brought out so much “we aren’t good enough to do it”....

Reactions: RUB1GTime
The screen names change over the years but the carping remains the same. How many times did people bemoan the loss of Corey Sanders? How many times did people criticize Pike last season, saying the offense should be doing this or that or the defense should be doing this or that? It is the nature of message boards and the Era of the Hot Take. The carpers certainly know our personnel better than the coaches do and know how to coach better than Pike and his staff do. That is a given. This is the most talented roster we have had in many years and Rutgers has become a plausible destination for good HS kids. To bad prospective signees cannot see what the RAC is like in normal times, but this is 2020.

Most every team is scuffling with the lack of practices and scrimmages and playing in empty arenas. We are also missing Geo. Did you people even hear the announcers talking often about how disorganized we were without him? How guys like JY were styling some and looking for their own shot? As for missing Yeboah and Caleb--fine. But give our freshmen a chance. Three games after the preseason, 2020 style? Really? Those who complain about Paul Mulcahy not progressing offensively forger he has had two excellent floor games with a bunch of rebounds and assists. In this era of shoot-first PGs he may be an anachronism. All great PG's have been good scorers--John Stockton averaged 13 PPG in the NBA, or something like that, Paul is just starting his soph year. He showed glimpses of offense at times last year, and scored well in HS. It will come. Is there anyone out there who, after reflection, doesn't think our four freshmen are a talent upgrade and as the season progresses, will more than make up for the losses of Yeboah and Shaq and Caleb's red shirt? Perspective, people. Know this is a message board and fans are irrational creatures. But reading the game threads--and the game thread of our win over Purdue in that game with helmets was unnerving.
All that said, If Geo has a high ankle sprain that limits his play all season long...you’re comfortable with Paul and Jacob running this offense against elite competition?

People arent recognizing how big a loss yeboah was. 3 point shooting, rebounding, free throws, veteran presence. And although caleb isnt a player whos gonna put the team on his back he was always good for 15 mins a night where hed use his length, nail open 3’s, and knock down free throws.

The simple facts are

1) we dont run an offense and wont be able to just run vs more athletic teams
2) we cant bit free throws and this will lose us close games
3) its alot easier to play balls to the wall defense in front of 8500 peoples energy youre feeding off.

Bottom line. Lower your expectations. People are getting way ahead of themselves here. We dont have that much talent. Cliff isnt a 1-2 and done player like most of you thought for some odd reason. Our hope should be we sneak in the tourney but if we miss it, it shouldnt be that big of a disappointment, we’re just not THAT good. We’re a middle of the pack B1G team 7th-9th best, we’ll see if thats good enough.
Sounds like someone saying something ridiculous just to get a reaction.

We are undefeated and yet the pretend Rutgers fans can’t wait to pounce.
My financial and emotional investment in Rutgers sports makes me anything but pretend.
But I always have and always will present to the board my thoughts, even if they’re critical.
Being undefeated against the competition we’ve played means nothing to me if I see what I perceive could be a concern moving forward

Last edited:
I think we have a very good team this year and there’s know way of knowing if we end up a middle of the pack team or a sweet 16 team , the problem this year will be home games, without that 6th man behind the team that could definitely take us down a notch.

Zap, my post was in no way directed to you. There are people on this site who NEVER have anything positive to say about anything to do with Rutgers. Some of them use Rutgers references in their screen names. Some post every day and some pop up when something crazy happens.

It's a funny thing about these boards. We are in a bubble of sorts and get a lot of in depth critique of our team that's missing a lot of perspective.

Head on over to the Hofstra board today and the take is much, much different. They consider themselves a good team (Only FSU and Hofstra have won 26+ games the past two years.) Basically acknowledge that we played terribly and were probably feeling the effects of 3 games in 5 days. Yet felt we ran over them and they were never in the game. Chalked it up to us just being a very good top-25 team.

It's a funny thing about these boards. We are in a bubble of sorts and get a lot of in depth critique of our team that's missing a lot of perspective.

Head on over to the Hofstra board today and the take is much, much different. They consider themselves a good team (Only FSU and Hofstra have won 26+ games the past two years.) Basically acknowledge that we played terribly and were probably feeling the effects of 3 games in 5 days. Yet felt we ran over them and they were never in the game. Chalked it up to us just being a very good top-25 team.
I like that,

We are undefeated and yet the pretend Rutgers fans can’t wait to pounce.
Yeah pretend Rutgers fans show up at the president of the schools office and hold their ground when asked to leave multiple times, righttttt

Sounds like someone saying something ridiculous just to get a reaction.
Or just being realistic. It is truly amazing to me weve gotten to the point where saying Rutgers basketball is a BUBBLE TEAM is deemed being negative LOL

If you read the game threads every single missed shot or bad play is the end of the world. Same for football. It gets a bit ridiculous. Games aren't perfect and never will be. Not every player will play their best game of the season every game. Severe lack of perspective

To say at best we'll be a bubble team is extremely short sighted & clueless.

Like 99% of D1 teams, we look rusty and are tryingf to figure things out. Very few teams have it all together by game 3 and most of those are ranked in the top 15 in the country.

Pike is obviously trying to give the frosh more experience. He will end up shortening his bench as necessary. For now, he's balancing winning the games with experience and playing youth for development which is why we're winning by 15 and not 25.

Just relax and enjoy the ride!

Reactions: Rutgers56
IMO a premature assessment. If either Palmquist or Reiber can demonstrate the ability to hit an open three and give us 5-10 minutes I will feel better about our depth. Both look a little tentative right now which is understandable given the transition they are making. Assuming Geo is back for conference play I think a bullish outlook (top 6 in league) for the season remains reasonable.

Reactions: thegock and FastMJ
People arent recognizing how big a loss yeboah was. 3 point shooting, rebounding, free throws, veteran presence. And although caleb isnt a player whos gonna put the team on his back he was always good for 15 mins a night where hed use his length, nail open 3’s, and knock down free throws.

The simple facts are

3) its alot easier to play balls to the wall defense in front of 8500 peoples energy youre feeding off.

Bottom line. Lower your expectations. People are getting way ahead of themselves here. We dont have that much talent. Cliff isnt a 1-2 and done player like most of you thought for some odd reason. Our hope should be we sneak in the tourney but if we miss it, it shouldnt be that big of a disappointment, we’re just not THAT good. We’re a middle of the pack B1G team 7th-9th best, we’ll see if thats good enough.

Idk which Kovats i dislike more, the guy who isnt happy when we are a ranked team after being a cellar dweller for the last 15 years. Or the kovats that was worried about collecting his tenants rent and and tweeting the governor every day in April.

Either way dude stop being so pessimistic

Or just being realistic. It is truly amazing to me weve gotten to the point where saying Rutgers basketball is a BUBBLE TEAM is deemed being negative LOL

I don't think people are taking BUBBLE TEAM to be negative. But they may be taking "AT BEST" we are a bubble team to be negative. It is pretty early in a COVID impacted season to make this claim, and other teams are struggling against lesser opponents as well. Hofstra is projected to win their conference this year.

I don't think people are taking BUBBLE TEAM to be negative. But they may be taking "AT BEST" we are a bubble team to be negative. It is pretty early in a COVID impacted season to make this claim, and other teams are struggling against lesser opponents as well. Hofstra is projected to win their conference this year.
Exactly. If "at best" we are a bubble team it means we aren't an NCAA team in an average projection. We need everything to break right for us to just be on the bubble. That is a pessimistic view of the team.

Kyk has never been all in with Pike. He has always said high floor low ceiling bc of the lack of offensive sets

Never understood why some posters to feel the need to tell others to temper expectations. Does it hurt you if I don’t? I will let Pike do his job and enjoy watching the games.

Last edited:
How about losing back to back games to Stony Brook and Hartford. Or beating Columbia in OT, barely beating Central Connecticut State....etc...

Just for some perspective on recent early season out of conference games...

Reactions: RuBird
Idk which Kovats i dislike more, the guy who isnt happy when we are a ranked team after being a cellar dweller for the last 15 years. Or the kovats that was worried about collecting his tenants rent and and tweeting the governor every day in April.

Either way dude stop being so pessimistic
Im one of the most optimistic people youll ever meet. Also one of the biggest realists youll ever meet. Also not afraid to hide my identity unlike 99% of the board. Cute though how you believe posting my last name is a nice subtle shot lol. Heres my first name and address too.

Kyle Kovats
623 Court Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030

• Wow
Exactly. If "at best" we are a bubble team it means we aren't an NCAA team in an average projection. We need everything to break right for us to just be on the bubble. That is a pessimistic view of the team.

Kyk has never been all in with Pike. He has always said high floor low ceiling bc of the lack of offensive sets
Idk if were better than last years team tbh and last years team was a bubble team.

Reactions: AD888
Im one of the most optimistic people youll ever meet. Also one of the biggest realists youll ever meet. Also not afraid to hide my identity unlike 99% of the board. Cute though how you believe posting my last name is a nice subtle shot lol. Heres my first name and address too.

Kyle Kovats
623 Court Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
I had no clue what Kovats meant...lol
Bad form posting your name

If you read the game threads every single missed shot or bad play is the end of the world. Same for football. It gets a bit ridiculous. Games aren't perfect and never will be. Not every player will play their best game of the season every game. Severe lack of perspective

The thing is, we are so deep that we can withstand the poor play (and loss of our starting point guard) we saw yesterday and still win easily. That's saying something, but not what many here want to say.

The thing is, we are so deep that we can withstand the poor play (and loss of our starting point guard) we saw yesterday and still win easily. That's saying something, but not what many here want to say.
Haha I personally dont mind as everyone knows who I am. But just think it should be a rule that if you post someone elses name you have to post your own as well

Idk if were better than last years team tbh and last years team was a bubble team.
We weren't a bubble team though. We were safely and easily in.

While I was higher than pretty much anyone on both Yeboah and Caleb last season, I do think their absence this year gives Harper and Young the room to grow into more significant roles which may actually make the team better. They may not have been ready for such a significant role last season as Harper was still an underclassmen and Young was adapting to the team and his role while shaking off the rust of a redshirt season. This season they are ready to flourish and take more dominate roles as go to scoring options and their roles would be minimized if Yeboah and Caleb were playing.

Reactions: FastMJ and Degaz-RU

The simple facts are

The fact that we get sloppy with the ball and our offense goes stagnant at times has to improve. We don't shoot FF's well either. What worries me is that Johnson couldn't dominate these tune up games on offense. I still think we make the tourney though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT