ADVERTISEMENT

***Fat Cat Friday: 11/20 Everything but the kitchen sink!***

bobby deren

Heisman Winner
Feb 8, 2007
Quotables
Jon Bateky on prepping for the Army triple option:

“I never played against a triple option like this. It is real different. They do stuff that is completely different from any other team we played. But we have a system that’s worked throughout the years against triple option teams and I am just going to follow that. I have been picking it up.”

Robert Martin on starting at running back last weekend:
“It is definitely a good feeling being the starter. You just know that you put in a lot of work to be No.1, so when you get your chance, you just have to run with it.”

Fat Cat Top Five
Top Five True Freshman Sleepers
.) Kamaal Seymour
4.) Nakia Griffin-Stewart
3.) Ron’Dell Carter
2.) Jonah Jackson
1.) Najee Clayton

Bobby’s Crystal Ball
Rutgers will defeat Army on Saturday

Recruiting Tidbits
Florida DBs
K.J. Sails
(East Bay)
A few days after making a commitment to Iowa, Sails took a trip up to South Carolina to see the Gamecocks play the Florida Gators and soon afterwards he announced his decommitment. Rutgers was right outside of his top three before the initial commitment and expect the Scarlet Knight to continue to push for an official visit here as Sails intends on enrolling early.

Henry Miller (Gateway)
Miller, who recently took an official visit to NC State, was expected to take an official visit to Mississippi State before choosing his last two. While fellow Central Florida prospects and Rutgers commits Jon Pollock and Trey Sneed have been working hard on Miller along with former teammate Isaiah Wharton, it is believed that Miller is leaning toward a suitor other than Rutgers at this time.

Sneed signs papers
After gaining 240 rushing yards in season finale, RU commit Trey Sneed of Fleming Island, Fla. signed his grant and aid agreement to come to Rutgers this week.

“It is very exciting. It’s been a long journey, a long, crazy journey. It makes you think about all the hard work you put in," Sneed told Scarlet Nation. "This has been my dream as long as I can remember, ever since I picked up a football. When I got to high school, I wanted so bad to play division 1 football. I always dreamed this day would come. The fact that it is actually here, it is surreal. I cannot even put it into words. I am really looking forward to my career at Rutgers.”

Sneed also credited his family for being his rock and keeping him level headed. He plans to enroll in January and will be eligible to participate in spring practice.

JuCo Recruiting
Rutgers has begun to get involved with California JuCo cornerback sensation Devron Davis of Merced Community College, who has upwards of 30 offers to his credit. He has been talking to RU defensive assistant Scott Vallone and it appears as though an offer could be on the way.

“It’s been a long process,” Davis said. “Rutgers is a great school. The academic facilities are very nice in New Jersey. I like Rutgers, but right now I am not into too much recruiting stuff. I have been trying to get away from recruiting for a while. But I appreciate the interest from Rutgers and they are in the running.”

Davis has already taken official visits to Michigan State and Colorado State.

NJ Junior on the rise
Class of 2017 Brick Township wide receiver Jay’Sir Taylor has been hearing from Rutgers and made the trip up last weekend to check out the Scarlet Knights’ game against Nebraska.

“Even tough the game was tough, they never gave up,” Taylor said of Rutgers. “I want something like that because that is what we preach over here at Brick. It would be nice to be on a team like that.”

Scarlet Nation’s Top 5 things to watch for in NJ playoffs this weekend
South Brunswick

The dynamic duo of S/RB Phil Campbell and WR/DB Mo Jabbie has led the way for the Vikings who are the overwhelming favorites in the Central Group 5 bracket. They are working towards an opportunity to end their high school careers on the same field where they’ll play their college football. But first they’ll have to get past Jersey Shore foe Manalapan, alma mater of former Rutgers QB/Holder Mike Bimonte, which beat South Brunswick in the sectional final last year. Jabbie, who was named Scarlet Nation’s Most Improved Player in the class of 2016, has over 1,000 yards of total offense this fall.

Class of 2017 OL targets
The state’s top OL prospect in 2017, Micah Clark, will lead his St John Vianney team as the top seed in Non-Public 3 against county rival Red Bank Catholic, the defending champions the top program in the Shore Conference. Meanwhile, RU offerees Carter Warren of Passaic Tech, Ben Petrula of St Peter’s Prep, Liam Fornadel of Don Bosco and the St Joseph Montvale duo of Robert Martin and Josh Fedd-Jackson are all looking to lead their teams into the first weekend of December as well.

Jordan Fuller
The class of 2016 Old Tappan Athlete is enjoying his first season injury free and is having his best season with over 1,500 yards of offense and 15 touchdowns for his Golden Knights Squad. Old Tappan is undefeated and Fuller is looking to obtain the one thing his older brother Devin couldn’t, a state title. Once considered a quarterback recruit, Fuller has primarily played wide receiver this fall while assuming his normal duties on defense at safety.

RU class of 2016 commit Solomon Manning of Colonia
The RU commit has adjusted nicely to playing middle linebacker for the Patriots, making over 100 tackles in the regular season. Colonia now faces a familiar foe in Western Jersey public power Philipsburg, which beat Colonia in the sectional final in an overtime thriller at Rutgers last December. The road to a sectional title for Manning has to go through the Stateliners.

Class of 2017 QBs
RU offeree Jonathan Lewis of St. Peter’s Prep has started to find his groove for the Marauders, going over 300 yards of total offense in multiple games this in the season against quality competition. Ocean’s Kenny Pickett (Temple offer) and Don Bosco’s Tommy Devito have also enjoyed strong seasons, while both are on the cusp of an offer from the home state Scarlet Knights.

Others Rutgers offered prospects still alive
Class of 2017
DE Mike Tverdov - Union (North 2 Group 5)
DB Naijee Jones - Timber Creek and ATH Markquese Bell Bridgeton (South Group 3)
ATH Bo Melton and DT Owen Bowles - Cedar Creek (South Group 2)
LB Louis Acceus - St. Joseph Montvale (Non Public Group 4)

Class of 2018
DL/OL Tyler Friday - Don Bosco
DL’s Jayson and Justin Ademilola - St Peter’s Prep
QB Artur Sitkowski - Old Bridge

Scarlet Nation on Location
Friday Night
Cedar Creek at Haddonfield

RU offerees Bo Melton and d-lineman Owen Bowles will take the field as they take to the road and look to upset Haddonfield.

Saturday Afternoon
Wagner at Grand Street Campus
2016 WR commits Taysir Mack and Ahmed Bah have enjoyed big years in leading the Wolfpack to an undefeated record and the No.2 seed in the New York City PSAL City Playoffs.

Hoops Recruiting
2016 SF Jax Levitch - Elev8 Prep (FL)
Levitch, who recently took an official visit to Rutgers, earned an offer from Eddie Jordan earlier this week. Zach Smart, a well known award winning high school basketball analyst based in Florida spoke with Scarlet Nation about Levitch’s game after seeing him live earlier this week.

“A straight gunner, he has NBA range and he spreads the floor out. He’s kind of skinny right now but he can get rebounds, he’s under the radar. He’s still pretty young for his age as he just turned 18. A coach’s son, his high school team (Trinity in Louisville, Kentucky), had a lot of other guys and he may have been overshadowed but he looks college ready right now. His brother, David, is actually one of the few players who has walked on a Louisville under Rick Pitino and earned a scholarship which he did this summer.”

Additional note: According to Smart, Class of 2016 point guard Richardson Maitre from Canada is attending West Oaks Academy in Florida, the same school that gave Rutgers freshman sensation Corey Sanders, is now getting a long look from Rutgers after decomitting from Cleveland State.

Eye on Rutgers
The Scarlet Knights will take on Army this weekend and this one appears as though it could be closer than may have been expected when looking at the schedule before the start of the season. Here is a look at some of the factors that could play a part in the outcome.

Injuries
Rutgers started out the week with 24 of its players on the injury report. Just because some of those players might play does not mean they will be 100 percent. The offensive line began the week with four of its five starters on the injury report and that could be an area of concern.

Fight
Rutgers looks as though they are out of bowl contention, although a 5-7 record would still give the Scarlet Knights hope for a bowl game this season. Rutgers has a lot more talent than Army and should win out over the course of four quarters. However, if the players have already cashed things in, it will be indicative of how the team performs on the field.

The Triple Option
Rutgers has a pretty good track record against the triple option. How its defense handles that offensive attack will go a long way in determining the outcome. Rutgers used to prepare for the triple option during its bye week, although that did not happen this year. The team also did not triple option work during summer camp. Many defensive players will be seeing this look for the first time at the college level.

Offensive breakout
Rutgers has been searching for points over the last four games as the offensive scores have been very minimal. Failing to convert on offense and having to punt will hurt Rutgers’ chances at victory since possessions are usually fewer against a run-oriented team like Army. Despite a 2-8 record, Army is still 28th in the nation in time of possession.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News