ADVERTISEMENT

***Fat Cat Friday: 12/2 Everything but the kitchen sink!***

bobby deren

Heisman Winner
Feb 8, 2007
Quotables
Chris Ash on the challenges of maintaining a good perception of the program:

“It could be challenging, probably more challenging if you have been in the program four, five, or six years. When you start to have a downward trend, then it becomes that much more difficult. We are in year one of a building cycle. It is obviously a lot easier to sell your plan and your vision in year one than it is in year five or six. That is really where it’s at. And it is not just social media, it is media in general that does have an effect on the thoughts and attitudes of the program.”

Steve Pikiell on his message to his team after their first loss to Miami on Wednesday:
"I thought we had a great game plan and we didn't execute it, the way we did...that team is long. We were concerned with their length. We just have to play better. But we fought the whole game. Again, I have to give them credit. They were better than we were. We have to rebound. We have a game coming up, and we have to play much better. It's nice to be at home."

Fat Cat Top Five

Top Five RU 2016 Defensive Players
.) Trevor Morris
4.) Darius Hamilton
3.) Isaiah Wharton
2.) Julian Pinnix-Odrick
1.) Blessuan Austin

Bobby’s Crystal Ball
Rutgers Hoops will win its next five straight

Recruiting Tidbits
’18 ATH Atrilleon Williams (Archbishop Stepinac, NY)
The first commit of Rutgers 2018 class played only three games last season after tearing his ACL. He still managed to nab a half-dozen offers and many who have seen him play are convinced that number would have quadrupled had he stayed healthy. Williams is making a lot of progress in his recovery and his trainer, Oren Wilson, commented on what kind of player Rutgers is getting.

“He is a very hard-working kid, one of the hardest working kids in West Chester County. He is always doing extra work, always working on his footwork, always in the weight room. He is a good kid, yes-sir no-sir, and he is just an explosive athlete. He can play all over the board, offensively and defensively.”

’17 RB Jon Lovett (Cherokee - NJ)
After Lovett decommitted from RU last month, it seemed like he may have been headed to Penn State. While the Nittany Lion staff is still recruiting Lovett, they do not seem to be pushing for a commitment. The staff is urging Lovett to take a visit to state college on Jan 20th. And with limited scholarships available, there is no guarantee Lovett will have a commitable offer by that point in time. Meanwhile, Iowa has been upping its interest as Lovett has already taken his first visit there and is scheduled to be at Rutgers for an official visit next weekend. Things are starting to play out more favorably for Rutgers while the group of current RU commits continues to do their part in recruiting Lovett.

’17 DT Ellison Hubbard (Grayson - GA)
Hubbard received an in home visit on Monday night from RU wide receivers coach Jafar Williams. Hubbard informed Scarlet Nation that the two talked about playing early and how Rutgers is building a good team for the future. Hubbard also said that he will be taking an official visit to Rutgers in the future, but is still working out the details on exactly when that will take place.

’17 DB Naijee Jones (Timber Creek - NJ)
The first commit to RU’s 2017 class received an in-home visit this week from assistant defensive backs coach Aaron Henry.

“It was a great visit. My future DB coach, Coach Henry came to visit. We ate, talked, laughed, and pretty much just enjoyed each other’s company,” Jones said. “We were actually going to play ball 1-on-1, but the local gym was closed. I know I would’ve beat him. His overall message to me was mostly just about buying in and being ready to play immediately.”

’17 TE Devin Miller (Metuchen - NJ)
The NJVarsity No.12-ranked senior prospect in the state of New Jersey is once again hearing quite a bit from Rutgers. Later today, Miller will host RU tight ends coach Vince Okruch for an visit. The Scarlet Knights are in need of tight ends for the future and Miller looks like he would be a great fit for the RU offense.

’17 DB Ihmir Marsette (Weequahic - NJ)
Iowa came to see Marsette early in the week and Boston College also came to talk to him on Wednesday. He is also hearing from Kentucky for track, but is still holding off on planning any visits at this time.

’18 LB Nick DeNucci (Pope John XII - NJ)
Rutgers has not lost sight of the future as the coaching staff has also been busy recruiting the class of 2018. Those efforts led to an offer going out to the 6-foot-1, 225 pound DeNucci.

“Coach [Jay] Niemann came to my school today and offered me a scholarship,” DeNucci said. “He just told me that I’m a good player and that I have a pretty big future. I know about the tradition, family, and the culture at Rutgers. Coach Ash is doing a great job and the rebuilding process is on full blast. They are also a great academic school which is always very important.”

’18 ATH Ty Van Fossen (St. Francis De Sales - OH)
The RU staff was also staying busy in the Midwest as Okruch was also looking to start building a relationship with members of the class of 2018. That included a stop to see Van Foseen, who received a Rutgers offer, giving him eight overall.

“Coach Okruch came to my school Tuesday and met with my coach,” said Van Fossen, who projects as a linebacker. “Then, not too long after, I was notified that they really liked my film and wanted to extend an offer to me. It was my first Big Ten offer so it’s pretty exciting. I already have ACC and MAC offers, so it’s a nice feeling to get one from the Big Ten. I don’t know a whole lot about Rutgers other than that Coach Ash came from Ohio State to Rutgers and he is a great coach. I also know the University has a great reputation, but I have yet to visit in person."

’18 LB Brian Asamoah (St. Francis De Sales - OH)
Rutgers became the eighth school to offer the 6-foot-1, 205-pounder who has some pre-existing ties to New Jersey.

“Coach Okruch called me up and told me that he was excited to offer me a scholarship," Asamoah said. "I do know a little but about Rutgers as I was born in Newark but ended up moving out west with my whole family when I was just a baby. I’ve been back to New Jersey a few times for a few family functions, but I hope to get back out there soon for a visit.”

Rutgers Weekend Official Visitors

OL Micah Clark - St. John Vianney
OL Jamaal Beatty - St. John Vianney
OL Samuel Vretman - Cheshire Academy (Conn.)
DE Mike Tverdov - Union
DE Brendan Bordner - Hilliard Bradley (Ohio)
DE Tyree Johnson - St. John's (Md.) Texas A&M commit
DT Axel Nyembwe - Avalon School (Md.) Duke Commit
DB Harrison Hand - Cherry Hill West
ATH Edwin Lopez - Woodrow Wilson

Team Tidbits
B1G Award for JPO

This week, it was announced that Rutgers senior defensive end Julian Pinnix-Odrick earned the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award for his performance over the past year. JPO was a team captain and an outspoken leader on this year’s squad. However, he mentioned that he would have done a few things differently as a leader if he could do it all again.

“One of the biggest regrets that I have had is that I didn’t consult the leaders of the other Rutgers teams a little bit more,” Pinnix-Odrick said. “I didn’t consult the girl’s soccer team who went to the final four, the men’s wrestling team who is top 10, the lacrosse team who was top 25. I should have consulted them and went out to seek a little counsel from those leaders on those teams.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News