ADVERTISEMENT

***Fat Cat Friday: 3/30 Everything but the kitchen sink!***

bobby deren

Heisman Winner
Feb 8, 2007
Quotables
Steve Pikiell on Corey Sanders’ departure:

“First and foremost, I'd like to personally thank Corey for his contributions to our program over the last three years. He believed in us as a new coaching staff two years ago and we believe in him now, as he pursues his dream of playing professional basketball. Corey has grown tremendously, both as a person and a player. What's most exciting, however, is how much further he can go. The sky is the limit for this young man and we look forward to supporting his journey.”

Julius Turner on who is the most vocal defensive lineman:

“I would probably say me. I am one of the most vocal guys. I just try to bring to bring the juice every at practice. Kevin is vocal too, but not more than me. If you watch my high school tape, there is a lot of emotion when I play the game. I love to play the game. I show a lot of emotion. I bring a lot of juice to practice every day.”

Fat Cat Top Five
Top Five RU Redshirt Freshmen

5.) OL Owen Bowles
4.) DT Brendan Bordner
3.) DE Tijaun Mason
2.) DE Mike Tverdov
1.) WR Shameen Jones

Bobby’s Crystal Ball
Anthony Ashnault will get a sixth year of eligibility and bump up a weight class

Recruiting Tidbits
S Chayce Chalmers (Freedom, Va,)
The junior was up on campus this past week week and offered his take on what he saw during his latest trip to Piscataway.

“What I took away from it is that they have a great program, great structure, structured amazingly. My father asked questions about the linebacking core, inside linebacker, outside linebacker,” Chalmers said. “They have the type of nickel type linebacker who is a little lighter than a traditional linebacker.”

DT Bryce Nelms (West Orange, N.J.)
The NJ product has seen his recruitment start to take off since the new year. He now sits at 13 offers and Rutgers is right in the running for his services. Nelms will be up to Rutgers again for

“I want to see how deep the roster is for when I get there,” Nelms said of Rutgers. “I want to see a great coach, who is also a great friend and father figure outside of my father.”

Kentucky is recruiting Nelms as a potential outside linebacker while Pitt is considering the 254-pounder as a tight end. Nelms said his relationship was strong with Rutgers when he lived in Georgia before moving back to Jersey. He credited Matt Hewitt with maintaining contact while he was down in Georgia and that relationship has helped put Rutgers right in the running for Nelms.

Friday Visitors
Rutgers will host a group of prospects today for practice, as well as an afternoon visit. The majority of visitors hail from North Jersey while there are some sprinkled in from other regions. Here is a look at some of the more intriguing visitors.

ATH Ronnie Hickman (DePaul) – Rutgers is still on the outside looking at in this one, although if an in-state recruitment stays open long enough, then anything can happen. Rutgers has some ground to make up but getting Hickman on campus is a start.

WR Taj Jones (Pope John) – A bigger receiver at a position of need, Jones does not have a ton going on in recruiting and could wind up at Rutgers if the staff really pushes for a commit in the near future.

S Connor Grieco (St. Joe Montvale) - Things appear to be going very well between Grieco and Rutgers. A commitment here would help Rutgers in-state recruiting and could be a very real possibility in the future.

LB Mohamed Toure (Pleasantville, N.J.) Recruiting is going very well for Toure, who is pulling in offers while playing for a schools that has not been recruited much in recent years. However, Rutgers is among the schools that are not deterred by that fact and things are standing well between the two.

More Notable Weekend Visitors
2020 DB Jordan Morant (Bergen Catholic)
2019 RB Josh McKenzie (Bergen Catholic)
2019 OL CJ Hanson (St. John Vianney)
2019 DE Jason Blissett (Poly Prep, N.Y.)
2020 LB Chris Conti (DePaul)
2020 ATH Jalen Berger (Don Bosco)

Team Tidbits
Halfway through Spring Practice Awards

Now that spring practice has reached the halfway point, here is a look at some midway point awards.

Offensive Newcomer of the spring: Artur Sitkowski

Sitkowski gives Rutgers a quarterback who possesses and overall skillset that has not been common in Piscataway. There's still quite a way to go until the season begins, but Sitkowski is giving the staff a lot of confidence in starting a true freshman quarterback. The early enrollment helps, but Sitkowski's leadership abilities are something that is not very common in freshman.

Defensive Newcomer: Tre Avery

Thus far, Avery is living up to the hype. The former Ohio State commits shows a very strong overall set of skills in the defensive backfield. Avery may also windup challenging some veteran players for playing time.

Sophomore on the rise: Micah Clark
The fact that Clark was moved to right guard and there is an open battle for the right guard position is a very telling sign. Now up to 305 pounds, Clark has the size to compete for a starting job. How he handles himself over the next couple of months is likely to determine whether or not he will fill the role of a starter in 2018. Thus far, things look promising.

Assistant Coach Newcomer: Corey Robinson
Cornerbacks coach Corey Robinson has done an excellent job in the early going of getting recruits from out of state interested in Rutgers. Robinson has been particularly effective in the Maryland area. He has also been well received by the defensive back group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News