ADVERTISEMENT

***Fat Cat Friday: 9/16 Everything but the kitchen sink!***

bobby deren

Heisman Winner
Feb 8, 2007
Quotables
Chris Ash on starting RB Robert Martin:

“When we look at our list of top potential playmakers on offense, we put Rob Martin in the top group of guys that needs to get the ball, whether it be in the run game or in the throw game, and I'm glad he's back and he's healthy.”

Zack Heeman on the offense putting up more than 300 rushing yards last weekend:
“That is a way to get our stats looking good and getting our running backs all the pub [publicity]. That is what we are really about. We follow our guys. Derrick [Nelson] is our captain and as they go, we go. It is exciting to be able to get in the endzone though.”

Fat Cat Top Five
Top Five RU Reserve O-Linemen
.) Zach Venesky
4.) Kamaal Seymour
3.) Jonah Jackson
2.) Zack Heeman
1.) Marcus Applefield

Bobby’s Crystal Ball
Chris Laviano will not play the entire game on Saturday
Rutgers will defeat New Mexico by a touchdown

Saturday Visitors
Rutgers will once again host a large collection of recruits for Saturday’s game and here is a look at the prospects who will be on campus to check out Rutgers’ next contest against New Mexico.

Class of 2017
WR Shameen Jones (Cardinal Hayes - NY)
TE Stephen Lambert (Nashua North High - NH)
OL Micah Clark (St. John Vianney - NJ)
OL Jamaal Beaty (St. John Vianney - NJ)
OL Ryan Van DeMark (Hun School - NJ)
DE Eric Magnifico (Hanover Park - NJ)
DE Michael Marinelli (DePaul Catholic - NJ)
LB Shqipron Idrizi (Bergen Catholic - NJ)
K Carson Landis (Emmaus - PA)
ATH German Pimental (New Brunswick - NJ)
ATH Hunter Hayek (Wayne Hills - NJ)
ATH Tyler Hayek (Wayne Hills - NJ)

Class of 2018
QB Johnny Langan (Bergen Catholic - NJ)
QB George Pearson (Mater Dei Prep - NJ)
RB Jonny Helff (Marlboro - NJ)
SB Revell Williams (Bridgeton - NJ)
WR Kevin Johnson (Hun School - NJ)
WR Scott Scherzer (Manalapan - NJ)
WR Symir Blacknall (Manalapan - NJ)
WR Jackson Parham (Hillsborough - NJ)
TE Jeremy Ruckert (Lindenhurst Senior - NY)
OL Justin Kopko (Hanover Area - NJ)
OL Caedan Wallace (Hun School - NJ)
OL Anthony Marinelli (DePaul Catholic - NJ)
DE Davonte Vivian (Palmyra - NJ)
DE Qadir White (Cardinal Hayes - NY)
DE Nnamdi Unachukwu (Marlboro - NJ)
K Will Connelly (Beaver - PA)
ATH Taj Harris (Palmyra - NJ)
ATH Elijah Karnjay (Palmrya - NJ)

Class of 2019
RB Rahmir Johnson (Bergen Catholic - NJ)
DE Antonio Alfano (Bergen Catholic - NJ)
ATH Josh McKenzie (Bergen Catholic - NJ)

Class of 2020
OL Bryan Felter (Bergen Catholic - NJ)

Recruiting Tidbits
OL Samuel Vretman (Cheshire Academy - CT)
After spending a good portion of the summer back in his native country of Sweden, Vretman is set to start his senior season this weekend.

“I am just getting ready for our first game on Saturday. My main goal is just to be undefeated this year and win a ring for our team,” Vretman said. “As far as Rutgers, I talk to them a lot. Unfortunately, I play on Saturdays so any time I get a Saturday off I will head down to Rutgers.”

OL Owen Bowles (Cedar Creek - NJ)
The RU commit is finally getting some work at his future position as his Cedar Creek squad is looking to repeat as state champions.

“Our season started out really good as we blew out Absegami 41-10. I did pretty well, I’m happy my coach finally moved me over to center on the O-Line,” Bowles said. “Right now for recruiting I’m still working to get guys like Markquese Bell to come join us over at RU, and other guys like that."

DL Jaohne Duggan (Liberty - PA)
The future Scarlet Knight crept out from under the recruiting radar this summer and landed a Rutgers offer that followed a solid camp performance. This season, his performance is making the RU staff’s decision to offer him look like a smart one.

“In the past two games, I’ve had 20 tackles, six TFLs, two forced fumbles, and two sacks,” Duggan said. “I’m not really doing a ton of things different, but I am just playing and not really thinking as much. I’m also starting to hustle more and more every game. I’m mostly focused on the season right now, but I hope to get down to Rutgers for a game soon.”

ATH Bryce Watts (Toms River North - NJ)
Playing both sides of the football this season, Watts is hoping to impress following a junior year in which he was limited for quite a while due to injury.

"We just had our first game Friday night. I only played the first half due to lack of competition,” Watts said. “On offense, I want to try and make more of an impact whether I have the ball or not, and on defense I’m being moved around a lot so I’m hoping for some more interceptions. I’ve been pretty busy lately and with school starting, I kind of fell off a little recruiting other guys to join me at Rutgers. But I’ll start reaching out to some dudes soon.”

WR Kevin Austin (North Broward Prep - FL)
The class of 2018 Florida prospect just added a Rutgers offer as his list has now reached up the twenties. Austin mentioned how the RU offer came about.

“My head coach at Prep was talking to Coach [Aaron] Henry and he told me to give him a call when I could. I called him, we had a great conversation and boom, I was offered. I was blessed to get the offer and I really appreciated it. I know that Rutgers is a very prestigious college to attend, they have a good football program, and they are located close to New York. I’m not positive yet, but I might visit sometime this season.”

DE Antonio Alfano (Bergen Catholic - NJ)
The talented class of 2019 local product is expected to be among the most coveted prospects in his respective class and he will be on the Rutgers campus this weekend to watch the Scarlet Knights face New Mexico.

“I’m looking forward to see the new culture, the environment, fan support, and some of the new coaching philosophies,” Alfano said. “I like how Rutgers is close to home, they have great networking for the trip-state area, and they are in the Big Ten.”

Commits in Action
There will be plenty of Rutgers commits in action this weekend and here is a look at the high school football itinerary for the future Scarlet Knights.

Friday, Sept 16th
Delsea @ Cedar Creek (Bo Melton, Owen Bowles)
Timber Creek @ Cherokee (Jon Lovett, Naijee Jones)
Wayne Hills @ Roxbury (Tyler Hayek)
Brick Memorial @ Toms River North (Bryce Watts)
Calvert Hall @ Riverdale Baptist (Tyshon Fogg) MD
Whitehall @ Liberty (Jaohne Duggan)
Burlington Township @ Paul VI (Everett Wormley)
St. John Vianney @ Raritan (Micah Clark, Jamaal Beaty)

Saturday, Sept 17th
Tottenville @ Port Richmond (Tim Barrow) NY
Boys & Girls @ Grand Street Campus (Olakunle Fatukasi) NY
North Burlington @ Woodrow Wilson (Edwin Lopez)
Union @ Plainfield (Mike Tverdov)
Salem @ Burlington City (Jon Taylor)
Cheshire Academy @ Chaote Rosemary Hall (Samuel Vretman) CT
Peddie School @ St. Peter’s Prep (Johnathan Lewis)

Hoops Tidbits
The RU coaching staff was busy handing out more offers this past week and here is a list of the players who wound up landing an offer from the Scarlet Knights.

’18 SG Eric Ayala (Putnam Science Academy - CT)

’18 SF Isaiah Kelly (Pace Academy - GA)

'18 C Assane N'Diaye (Aspire Academy - AZ)

’19 PG Joel Brown (Aspire Academy - AZ)

’19 SF Khalil Whitney (Roselle Catholic - NJ)

’19 PF Akok Akok (Putnam Science Academy - CT)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News