ADVERTISEMENT

*** Feedback from the coaching meeting tonight ***

John Otterstedt

Hall of Famer
Jul 10, 2001
I just got off the phone with Manalapan head coach, Ed Gurrieri. He is a nice guy who has always been good to this site. He answered my text immediately and offered to do an interview with me. Here is what he had to say:

"I thought it went really well. He is a dynamic coach. He came in and was very charismatic, talked to as many people as he could meet before the meeting started. Very personable. A very straightforward, honest guy. He explained what his vision was and how he planned to get it done. He introduced his staff. He basically understood everyone's doubts - not doubts but the concerns that none of his staff was from NJ - but he said by the same token he had to hire people he trusts and was comfortable with. I respect that. He said that wouldn't stop him from recruiting NJ and he will recruit the state. We all believed him. We all thought he was a dynamic guy...good vision, good plan and a good communicator."

(I then asked about the staff issue again.)

"You know that is a concern, the fact that there is no one who is from the area. He understood everyone’s questioning of that, but at the end of the day, he is the head coach and he has to be comfortable with the guys he hires. He can’t hire someone he doesn't know. He knows that if his guys do the things they are supposed to do, we will be proud of him and want to send our kids there."

(I asked if Coach talked about the team's style of play.)

"He didn’t get into style of play, but he did say that he wants his team to be a very tough, physical team. He didn’t get into what the offense or defense is going to be. Someone asked him what they are going to do when they first see the kids, and he said basically they are going to work them extremely hard and basically he wants the guys who basically survive it. He is going to be a character guy. He doesn’t care how good a player a kid is - if he isn’t a good character kid, he doesn’t want him. He has to be a good football player and person. He hit on all the right things. Straightforward, honest, and everyone took it that way. Everyone was impressed and excited."

(I asked him if Coach Ash reminded him of any other coaches he has met along the recruiting trail.)

"He definitely commanded the room when speaking to us like someone who has been around a while. He was mingling and personable before getting up to speak, but when he got in front of the room and started talking to the members of the coaching association, he was dynamic - very good - got everyone’s attention. Was on point with everything he had to say. He got everyone excited. As far as that is concerned, I don’t know who to compare him to, but you could tell that he definitely had what it takes."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News