ADVERTISEMENT

Fickell to Wisconsin

We are in the deep end of the pool in the Big 10. We are going to need a bigger boat and a lot more money if we will ever be competitive
We are who we are and that has to be accepted. We’re a school that has to do more with less and find ways to make it work. That’s just the reality.

No different than Oregon St, WF, Duke, KSU, ISU, Miss St etc that have found ways to make it work and be respectable at times or for stretches despite not having all the resources of their competitors.

He is super smart by going to the West and passed on the East.
There likely will be no west or east after next year so I don’t know about that. OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU aren’t opening up any time soon so Wisconsin is the next best choice while still being in the midwest.

There likely will be no west or east after next year so I don’t know about that. OSU, Michigan, MSU, PSU aren’t opening up any time soon so Wisconsin is the next best choice while still being in the midwest.
He was offered the MSU job but turned it down.

I thought he would stay til 2024 when the Bearcats start with Big 12...but i guess he feels this opportunity you can't pass up until TOSU opens up if Day decides to try the NFL...

Why do you think our HCs are consistently last in pay? Usually just under MD or Indiana.
Politics plain and simple. We simple don't have the political support necessary to pay our HC that type of money. We may be the state university, but that doesn't mean we have widespread support across the state at the political and/or public level like the other state schools in our conference.

Reactions: Section124
Politics plain and simple. We simple don't have the political support necessary to pay our HC that type of money. We may be the state university, but that doesn't mean we have widespread support across the state at the political and/or public level like the other state schools in our conference.
It’s politics because we don’t have the money. If we had the money, it wouldn’t be political.

It’s politics because we don’t have the money. If we had the money, it wouldn’t be political.
There are plenty of higher paid coaches at PAC, ACC and Big 12 schools, so the lack of a full share of the B1G money just doesn't hold water. There are other reasons like a said for the fact that we have to go cheap on a HC.

There are plenty of higher paid coaches at PAC, ACC and Big 12 schools, so the lack of a full share of the B1G money just doesn't hold water. There are other reasons like a said for the fact that we have to go cheap on a HC.
Those schools have big donors. It’s $$$$. If you go to Hobbs and said here is 80mm and I want GS gone and hire Rhule. It’ll be done.

Wonder who his DC might be. Ash ?

Also always seems Cincy hires the right coach only to see him leave. Do they make a counter offer or they just accept their inevitable fate ? Cincy's going to be in the B12

Wonder who his DC might be. Ash ?

Also always seems Cincy hires the right coach only to see him leave. Do they make a counter offer or they just accept their inevitable fate ? Cincy's going to be in the B12
The deal is done already and he’s been introduced through their media department. Not sure if they’ve had the presser yet.

Great pick up for the Badgers. I thought he would never leave Cincinnati due to family but he’s a great fit there.

Cincinnati is about to go from being a big fish in a little pond (AAC) to a little/medium fish in a big pond (Big-12).
Makes sense to jump now.

If Cincinnati was staying in the AAC with the upcoming 12 team CFP where they get a likely AQ bid just for winning the AAC - doubtful he would have left.

We are in the deep end of the pool in the Big 10. We are going to need a bigger boat and a lot more money if we will ever be competitive
Our next coach better be a real goombah, not a cornball goombah like schiano

Jesse Minter might be willing to leave Michigan and guide Cincy into the Big 12
He's the son of former Cincinnati head coach Rick Minter

Wow didnt choose Leonard. Not as high as many of you on Fickell. We'll see if he gets Wisky to prior glory.

We are who we are and that has to be accepted. We’re a school that has to do more with less and find ways to make it work. That’s just the reality.

No different than Oregon St, WF, Duke, KSU, ISU, Miss St etc that have found ways to make it work and be respectable at times or for stretches despite not having all the resources of their competitors.
Those teams have coaches that understand the need for functioning offenses.

Phil Steele was on Paul Finebaum today and has Wisconsin as his number 1 surprise team in the country for 2023 season. Says they could make the playoff. Gotta get past OSU though (game is in Madison).

Phil Steele was on Paul Finebaum today and has Wisconsin as his number 1 surprise team in the country for 2023 season. Says they could make the playoff. Gotta get past OSU though (game is in Madison).
I'm going to the Wisconsin Game. We gonna smack da crap outta dem Badgers. Me and Sir Henry are going to crash their homecoming parade too, when we ride in on this:

7470.gif

Fickell is the guy we should have chased when we took Ash. Hell.. of former OSU DC's he beats out GS in that regard as well. If it was a choice of Fickell, Ash or GS2.0 you go Fickell... unless Fickell was dead-set against competing against OSU as Rutgers HC.

But.. how could we know that THEN.. when we hired Ash? Damn Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez advised we take Ash.. and now they take Fickell.. bastards!

Fickell is the guy we should have chased when we took Ash. Hell.. of former OSU DC's he beats out GS in that regard as well. If it was a choice of Fickell, Ash or GS2.0 you go Fickell... unless Fickell was dead-set against competing against OSU as Rutgers HC.

But.. how could we know that THEN.. when we hired Ash? Damn Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez advised we take Ash.. and now they take Fickell.. bastards!
In fairness I remember the osu fans thought ash was the brains of the operation at the time. Remember Fickell had largely failed as interim coach and Ash had gotten credit for some d ranking leaps and improved tackling.

In fairness I remember the osu fans thought ash was the brains of the operation at the time. Remember Fickell had largely failed as interim coach and Ash had gotten credit for some d ranking leaps and improved tackling.
He then took the demotion to stay on urban’s staff .
We should have done something similar with flood in 2012.
But yeah there were Ohio state fans posting here that ash was better

Fickell was there before Ash and after.

Fickell: 2012–2016 Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
Ash: 2014–2015 Ohio State (Co-Defensive coordinator & safeties coach)
Schiano: 2016–2018 Ohio State (AHC/DC)

Fickell and Schiano are alpha.. Ash is a beta... not head coach material.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT