ADVERTISEMENT

Fixing this season….here is what we need to do

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
I don’t know what “fixing this season “
Will bring us in the end game …but to maximizing the wins we have…while developing the roster for next year …here is what we need to do

1.) We need an alpha . Game one , right after, I said the elephant in the room was a leadership on the court . Who is the leader ….so how the rotation needs to be reconstructed needs to start with that …leading to point 2….

2.) Roll the ball to zero. I have gone hot and cold on Derek this year , but WE NEED backcourt scoring and he can provide it. Yes, it comes as a risk of sone defensive issues. Yes it comes on him sometimes not making the extra pass. But I really think a lot of this is solved with more experience . I have seen nothing from him and his character that says he isn’t willing or he is selfish and won’t pass. More Experience fixed this . We need to roll the ball to him …

3.) cohesion on offense and defense needs to be fixed ….it’s so choppy on both ends. A lot of the rebounding issues is being a half step behind on rotation that has out of rebounding positions on the misses….sone of this gets fixed with better cohesion. On offense it’s also , a lot of mistiming on the motion offense . …whixh leads to the next two ponts

4.) shorten the play book on defense. We are trying to do too much . Sone games , besides playing five (man), we mix sone zone and mix 2-2-1 press in. Scrap the zone , and limit the press . We need to get better on core value defense and rotation timing (whixh really helps the rebounding )….so if that means less press and scrapping the zone ….to be more cohesive on defense , do it.

5.) shorten the bench . The playing 10 guys …needs to end. This is a big part of the mistiming on offense and defense ….we need to shorten the bench. I’ll say this until the cow comes home, to score 75 in a game , it means you need an average of 15 points per 40 minutes of play …so if you are playing minutes , and you don’t get your average , you need to be affecting the game on other ways

Derek needs 28 (he will get 11 ppg with three minutes , and potentially a little more )

Jmike needs 26 (he will probably get less than 9.7 ppg, probably 7.5 -8.0 ppg , but can make up for it with defense )

Mag needs 26 (he will get a little less than 9.7 ppg , probably 8-9 ppg , but will make up for it on defense

Hyatt needs 28 (and will get his number …11 ppg )

Cliff needs 30l (and will likely exceed the 11.76 ppg in bjs 30 minutes)

So the question becomes …how do we finish the bench off with the remaining 62 minutes

Shorten the bench means

- extended minutes for Gavin …24. He will get 8 ppg in those 24 and be better for the things for the experience

-no chol. I’ve seen enoogh

- no Palmquist . I’ve seen enoogh

- no wolf except for 10 minutes to five cliff a break. We hope Ogoble can take his minutes away …because he is not an answer

-remaining 28 minutes for austin and Noah, both of which are not the answer . And if jerimah gets eligible …he takes most of the remaining 28 minute .

This gets us a 65-67 ppg average in big ten play …and will allow us to hang around most nights , like the last few seasons

I could go on with more …but I think this gets the point across

Time for pike to bring out his quote

“Play the best and fair to the rest “

This does this ….shorten the bench and simply what we are going to do

Last edited:
its a good gameplan but sadly not sure we have the horses or hunger to even execute it

I only see RU winning games where they keep it in the 50s and 60s.

there are just too many complimentary players on the team and you put alot of faith in Derek to score and based on history i do not think its possible
I hear you …but he got it done at the end of last year when we had to call an audible on the fly….

I don’t see a scanario with us scoring more than. 65 with Derek getting points ….

he had 14 today in 36 minutes but 4-15 is woeful and vs Mississippi State was 3-14 and 2-7 vs LIU.......combined its 9-36 for 25%

now Derek can penetrate and get to the line, thats what I want to see from him, not jacking up 18 footers but who is teaching him how to finish fast breaks

he had 14 today in 36 minutes but 4-15 is woeful and vs Mississippi State was 3-14 and 2-7 vs LIU.......combined its 9-36 for 25%

now Derek can penetrate and get to the line, thats what I want to see from him, not jacking up 18 footers but who is teaching him how to finish fast breaks
He had a couple plays today where he drove to dish. If his mindset was to drive and set others up I think he could be more effective since he can't seem to finish

He had a couple plays today where he drove to dish. If his mindset was to drive and set others up I think he could be more effective since he can't seem to finish
This is part of still feeling each other out and getting the PT to know better where the shots come from and when to dish

also was Hyatt hurt at some point in this game...he was 3-5 fg in the first half I think and then 2nd half was not even in the game along with Cliff in the midst of the Stonehill run and not sure if he had even taken more than one shot halfway through the 2nd half

Reactions: cm_13
This is part of still feeling each other out and getting the PT to know better where the shots come from and when to dish
True but not everyone can drive and be looking to both pass and score. Things are happening lightning quick and you need a very high level of instincts to be able to do both. It's why you see many people drive and you know they ate only going to shoot the entire time. Their mindset is locked in. Derek seems to do this

Reactions: rubigtimenow
also was Hyatt hurt at some point in this game...he was 3-5 fg in the first half I think and then 2nd half was not even in the game along with Cliff in the midst of the Stonehill run and not sure if he had even taken more than one shot halfway through the 2nd half
He supposedly left the game early with an injury so something might have been bothering him

We can be critical …but the PSU game last year , the Michigan big ten game tourney and even the Purdue loss in the big ten tourney …showed he is wiling scorer . And willing to take the
Big shot.

If Derek doesn’t shoot the ther today …who takes it ???

We let geo fail to later succeed …and I think he is our best option to roll the ball with and see if he can start to lead by example

Risk for sure …but there is success mixed in the last ther thsr say we could beenfit from this

I don’t see us rolling the ball to Noah or austin and having a winning season …period

True but not everyone can drive and be looking to both pass and score. Things are happening lightning quick and you need a very high level of instincts to be able to do both. It's why you see many people drive and you know they ate only going to shoot the entire time. Their mindset is locked in. Derek seems to do this
I hear you …and the original number zero was also like this originally …but getting more of the same five on the court , it can moderate a little.

Truth be told also, I loved JY…but how often is the ball come out of his hands going to the paint ??? And we won with him…

This team needs a willing alpha. And if it comes at being a little too much shot hunting happy…it’s something to live with.

I see nothing but Derek wanting to win for RU. This moderates in time ….

Agree with a lot of this post. We need an alpha, we need to shorten the bench (a lot), and we need to let young guys get a ton of experience (JMike, Gavin, and sure Derek). I don’t have confidence Pike will do this. He’ll stick with his rotations and I think he’s settled on playing 10 deep. I agree with OP but don’t think the coaching staff will.

Shack — I love ya and your tales are always great, but for the love of god please proofread your posts…even just a little bit.

Reactions: SBP and FastMJ
Agree with a lot of this post. We need an alpha, we need to shorten the bench (a lot), and we need to let young guys get a ton of experience (JMike, Gavin, and sure Derek). I don’t have confidence Pike will do this. He’ll stick with his rotations and I think he’s settled on playing 10 deep. I agree with OP but don’t think the coaching staff will.

Shack — I love ya and your tales are always great, but for the love of god please proofread your posts…even just a little bit.
Fixed it …I hate my spell check. I hate apple

I hear you …and the original number zero was also like this originally …but getting more of the same five on the court , it can moderate a little.

Truth be told also, I loved JY…but how often is the ball come out of his hands going to the paint ??? And we won with him…

This team needs a willing alpha. And if it comes at being a little too much shot hunting happy…it’s something to live with.

There is something to be said about the mindset and willingness to attack. I do like the mindset and I had hopes he would shoot better this season. At some point he has to convert more though. He's a third of the way through season 2

JY was efficient compared to DS

Yes appeared to be limping when he went out at the first break in the first half and went straight to the end of the bench where they take you when your injured

There is something to be said about the mindset and willingness to attack. I do like the mindset and I had hopes he would shoot better this season. At some point he has to convert more though. He's a third of the way through season 2

JY was efficient compared to DS
Not until he played 60 games for texas and 30 games for RU, he finally broke out at the end of 2019-2020, in the maryland and Purdue games ; remember how maddening he was earlier in his first year here…and that was his THiRD year on the court in power five hoops ???

Simpson is still in the first third of his career and growing .

I don’t see a better option than rolling the ball to him. And yes , there will be some bad nights in there.

We had our frustrations with GB and JU early as willing alpha . Same with Corey . Let Derek grow up . We will be better for it next yesr

Ditto Jmike and Gavin , by the way

Not until he played 60 games for texas and 30 games for RU, he finally broke out at the end of 2019-2020, in the maryland and Purdue games ; remember how maddening he was earlier in his first year here…and that was his THiRD year on the court in power five hoops ???

Simpson is still in the first third of his career and growing .

I don’t see a better option than rolling the ball to him. And yes , there will be some bad nights in there.

We had our frustrations with GB and JU early as willing alpha . Same with Corey . Let Derek grow up . We will be better for it next yesr

Ditto Jmike and Gavin , by the way
Fair. And sure why not... I feel the same way only I want Davis to be the guy making plays... Noah and Williams need to be riding the pine unless they earn the time. As the season goes on if we really stink then it should be the Davis Simpson show for sure

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Fair. And sure why not... I feel the same way only I want Davis to be the guy making plays... Noah and Williams need to be riding the pine unless they earn the time. As the season goes on if we really stink then it should be the Davis Simpson show for sure
If we get jerimah …that should happen .

I’d prefer jmike and Gavin as the guards. Derek and Noah can sit the rest of the year IMO! I think if Gavin is shooting guard it would get him more involved and not just standing in the corner waiting for the ball.

I’d prefer jmike and Gavin as the guards. Derek and Noah can sit the rest of the year IMO! I think if Gavin is shooting guard it would get him more involved and not just standing in the corner waiting for the ball.
Good idea on offense …but no chanxe because Gavin isn’t playing man against a 2 guard .

Only way you can play Gavin at the two is playing nearly exclusive Zone defense …and that’s not the pike way ….

Will bring us in the end game …but to maximizing the wins we have…while developing the roster for next year …here is what we need to do

1.) We need an alpha . Game one , right after, I said the elephant in the room was a leadership on the court . Who is the leader ….so how the rotation needs to be reconstructed needs to start with that …leading to point 2….

2.) Roll the ball to zero. I have gone hot and cold on Derek this year , but WE NEED backcourt scoring and he can provide it. Yes, it comes as a risk of sone defensive issues. Yes it comes on him sometimes not making the extra pass. But I really think a lot of this is solved with more experience . I have seen nothing from him and his character that says he isn’t willing or he is selfish and won’t pass. More Experience fixed this . We need to roll the ball to him …

3.) cohesion on offense and defense needs to be fixed ….it’s so choppy on both ends. A lot of the rebounding issues is being a half step behind on rotation that has out of rebounding positions on the misses….sone of this gets fixed with better cohesion. On offense it’s also , a lot of mistiming on the motion offense . …whixh leads to the next two ponts

4.) shorten the play book on defense. We are trying to do too much . Sone games , besides playing five (man), we mix sone zone and mix 2-2-1 press in. Scrap the zone , and limit the press . We need to get better on core value defense and rotation timing (whixh really helps the rebounding )….so if that means less press and scrapping the zone ….to be more cohesive on defense , do it.

5.) shorten the bench . The playing 10 guys …needs to end. This is a big part of the mistiming on offense and defense ….we need to shorten the bench. I’ll say this until the cow comes home, to score 75 in a game , it means you need an average of 15 points per 40 minutes of play …so if you are playing minutes , and you don’t get your average , you need to be affecting the game on other ways

Derek needs 28 (he will get 11 ppg with three minutes , and potentially a little more )

Jmike needs 26 (he will probably get less than 9.7 ppg, probably 7.5 -8.0 ppg , but can make up for it with defense )

Mag needs 26 (he will get a little less than 9.7 ppg , probably 8-9 ppg , but will make up for it on defense

So the question becomes …how do we finish the bench off with the remaining 62 minutes

Shorten the bench means

- extended minutes for Gavin …24. He will get 8 ppg in those 24 and be better for the things for the experience

- no wolf except for 10 minutes to five cliff a break. We hope Ogoble can take his minutes away …because he is not an answer

-remaining 28 minutes for austin and Noah, both of which are not the answer . And if jerimah gets eligible …he takes most of the remaining 28 minute .

This gets us a 65-67 ppg average in big ten play …and will allow us to hang around most nights , like the last few seasons

Good stuff All around. I hope Pike is willing to make significant change. Nothing against Noah, but he’s a 5th year senior who is not getting it done so I’d much rather his minutes go to the future in Derek and J. Mike. That’s another reason to adopt your idea of making Simpson the go-to guy. Of course, if his shot doesn’t start falling, it won’t matter.

The only way the season gets fixed is if Jeremiah Williams gets immediately eligible -- this fixes a number of problems all in one fell swoop:
  • He's a taller (6-4) guard
  • He can handle and score
  • He plays defense
  • He rebounds
  • It limits minutes of A. Williams and N. Fernandes
I'm not saying he's a Savior. But it's a huge piece of the puzzle that we're sorely missing.

The only way the season gets fixed is if Jeremiah Williams gets immediately eligible -- this fixes a number of problems all in one fell swoop:
  • He's a taller (6-4) guard
  • He can handle and score
  • He plays defense
  • He rebounds
  • It limits minutes of A. Williams and N. Fernandes
I'm not saying he's a Savior. But it's a huge piece of the puzzle that we're sorely missing.
Totally agree…and I noted such in how I would rearrange the rotation

The issue with Simpson:
> settles for the pullip midrange at the foul line instead of taking to the basket which would open up cliff for more scoring and higher % shots.
>shoot first player on a fast break and not efficient. It’s a problem and we could be much better. I feel like he is afraid of contact yet such a good FT shooter.

Shorten the bench means

Don’t hate it. Not ready to give up on noah vs Derek. Really don’t see that happening. think both will have their moments hopefully. Very much agree on shortening the bench.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Agree with everything in the OP, but even all that won't "fix" the season. It will just limit the damage.

Also, I'm glad it's just a phone/spell check issue on your end, Shack. I thought maybe something's been going on with you medically lately lol.

Finally a realistic and good thread.

We still have the stat nerds living out of reality, but hate to break the news to CBB fans, but basketball is matchup based offense and right now, you cannot run an offense, without offensive talent or players. How do I know this??

This is how you as a fan, can evaluate whether a player is good enough to score, if he has a size, speed or quickness advantage OR has the ability to create his own shot or passing with some accuracy.

Right now we have 4 players who can create their own offense.

Gavin Griffiths
Derek Simpson
J Mike Davis
Jeremiah Williams

We then have one other player who can score, if they have pieces around them to get them the ball to score.....but it is not a quickness, speed or leaping ability or a player off the bounce, who can create their own offense OR create offense to shoot or pass.

Aundre Hyatt

The remaining roster....and pieces from last year either were not able to score on their own or needed to be set up (Spencer, Mulcahy, Caleb, Jalen Miller)

Here's the list of players not ideal for a half court, slower paced style of play.

Fernandes (needs up tempo system to play to his potential).

Austin Williams (rusty)
Chol
Mag
Cliff
Woolfolk
Palmquist
Obgole

I could only mention so many times that it was a necessity to play at a faster pace, to maximize the effectiveness of Fernandes and Gavin Griffiths (and Simpson/Davis). It was always going to be more difficult to see Gavin become an impact player, if you are limited to just playing half court basketball.

It is really up to the coaching staff to continue to push the tempo and find quicker shots in transition, so Fernandes, Griffiths and Hyatt are most effective. Some of those 3s vs Seton Hall came from a "secondary" break, where players got to the 3 point line and find room.

Anyone who is on the list above, who cannot dribble past their defender when given space, 1 on 1, or cannot elevate to create their own shot, or lacks the quickness or toughness to rebound and is 100% reliant on others to score, becomes a dinosaur in Power 5/6 basketball. It doesn't mean they don't have a role on a 13 player roster, it just means they are essentially a "specialist ".

The list of Chol, Mag, Palmquist, Cliff, Woolfolk, Ogbole, Austin Williams and Fernandes are all seeing scholarship offers to committed players, who fit the profile mentioned or those players are better suited in a up tempo pace or play. But with Austin Williams, Fernandes, Palmquist and Cliff either graduating or not expecting to be back, their replacements, fit the profile I've explained on being able to play multiple styles of basketball.

Dribble, shoot, pass, drive, create, ability to switch on defense, rebound and provide spacing on offense with shooting range.

Ogbole looks to fit the specialist role as a backup 5, who might be a rim protection big, shot blocker/altering presence. Cliff ultimately has the elite shot blocking or rebounding potential, so he starts because he is very good at 1 or 2 things.

Anyone else (Mag, Woolfolk, Chol) don't fit this profile as a complete basketball player. They can be specialist who need to really excel at 1 or 2 things (like a Caleb McConnell or Myles Johnson), in order to fit into a winning NCAA caliber team.

The 5 committed players in the 2024 class, along with Jeremiah Williams all fit the description and move away from a station to station offense from last year and what we are seeing this year.

In terms of Simpson and Davis, along with Griffiths, I feel confident in their developing taking place so far. I'm not quite sure Woolfolk or Mag ultimately are skilled enough to be or remain starters or impact players/specialists, off the bench.

Last edited:
Going to get even nerdier on you.

Baseball has WAR, wins above replacement.

Put your best offensive Rutgers 5 out there and what is their OAR. Offensive above replacement. When i say replacement i mean our bench.

Compare that to our best defensive 5. What is their defensive differential to the offensive 5?

Which is larger?

We have 20+ games left against all B1G teams. If Gavin can not make a significant difference on offense he can't be part of the rotation.

Davis 25 Fernandes 15
Fernandes 10 Simpson 25 Awill 5
Hyatt 28 A Will 12
Mag 28 Woolf 12
Cliff 30 Woolf 10

Either lag the putt or try to make it. The needle in January can't be threaded.

• Angry
Reactions: Scangg
We have 20+ games left against all B1G teams. If Gavin can not make a significant difference on offense he can't be part of the rotation.

Davis 25 Fernandes 15
Fernandes 10 Simpson 25 Awill 5
Hyatt 28 A Will 12
Mag 28 Woolf 12
Cliff 30 Woolf 10

Either lag the putt or try to make it. The needle in January can't be threaded.
As rough of a go GG has had thus far, it would be malpractice to put him on the end of the bench.

As rough of a go GG has had thus far, it would be malpractice to put him on the end of the bench.
If we are going to give minutes to someone who is getting them because of his recruiting rankings be prepared for this team to go 4-16.

If I was in Pike's shoes I'd give January to put my best team on the floor.

While I do no think 12-15 Simpson shots is the answer, Derek is an excellent free throw shooter. Any strategy going forward needs to involve getting him to the line as often ss possible. Will Derek learn discipline and sacrifice his body
Maximizing Simpson free throws is the recipe for continued offensive ineptitude.

• Angry
Reactions: bac2therac
@zJust get Gavin and Jmike ready for 2024
Simply running them out there without direction and purpose gets no one ready.
They both need clear cut coaching and should know exactly what’s expected of them with constant repetition in practice.

Last edited:
If we are going to give minutes to someone who is getting them because of his recruiting rankings be prepared for this team to go 4-16.

If I was in Pike's shoes I'd give January to put my best team on the floor.
It’s not so much the ranking, but rather the potential and upside that clearly exists with GG. He’s provided enough to be a 10-20 mpg player give or take, depending on how he’s performing within each game.

Plus I’m not sure who’d we’d play in his stead. Austin? No. Oskar? No. Chol? No.

Reactions: Scangg and RUby RED
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT