ADVERTISEMENT

For Those Who Want To Encourage Senator Lesniak, Here's His Email

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
senlesniak@gmail.com

He might become our biggest ally to help get things on a better track with men's anw omen's basketball facilities, and perhaps facilities in general everywhere at RU. He is, after all, not only a Rutgers grad, but a season-ticket holder to men's basketball.

Mine was short and simple--more likely to be read.

Dear Senator,

As a Rutgers grad and season-ticket holder who is fairly close with a number of people in the athletics department and many fans, your recent press is a breath of fresh air and is being very well received. I sit courtside, and it kills me to see these players so hamstrung in achieving success, and it likewise hurts to see our state university become a joke in this area when we have the resources to make a change (and become profitable).

So this is just a word of encouragement to keep fighting this fight and use your public office for the state's betterment, some of which can be achieved through Rutgers athletics.

Best wishes, and thank you,
[My Name Here]

Assuming you live in NJ;

In terms of political impact it is far more important that you write to your legislators.

They are far more likely to react for people that vote in their district. They (& their staffs) routinely ignore anything with a return address from outside their district. This is not news but I did happen to hear a top Trenton lobbyist say precisely this in a public meeting yesterday.

Lesniak is in our corner already. What we really need to do is get a few more people that live under the golden dome to recognize that they have RU fans that vote on them keeping their jobs.

Great work and good advice. Lesniak is on board. We need to hit up all the other guys. Do we know which ones are RU alums?

Need to hit these folks up on email/twitter. Something like Join Senator Lesniaks efforts to support Rutgers basketball

And if you are going to write somebody not in your district the four important ones are the legislative leaders:

RU State Relations
Legislative Leadership in Trenton

Senate President

STEPHEN M. SWEENEY (D-3)

935 Kings Highway Suite 400
West Deptford, NJ 08086
SenSweeney@njleg.org

Assembly Speaker

VINCENT PRIETO (D-32)

1 Harmon Plaza
Suite 205
Secaucus, NJ 07094
AsmPrieto@njleg.org

Senate Minority Leader

THOMAS H. KEAN JR. (R-21)

203 Elm Street
Westfield, NJ 07090
SenKean@njleg.org

Assembly Minority Leader

JON M. BRAMNICK (R-21)

251 North Ave West
Second Floor
Westfield, NJ 07090
AsmBramnick@njleg.org

I think its most important to flood Lesniak with positive encouragements. The man has higher political aspirations. In my letter to him, I reminded him that there are hundreds of thousands of alumni in the state. Although there are many issues that go into an election, I told him this support certainly wouldn't hurt him in our eyes. I also reminded him that every letter or email sent, statistically represented hundreds or thousands of others who felt the same way but didn't take the time or effort to write him.

Originally posted by ScarletNut:
I think its most important to flood Lesniak with positive encouragements.
I'm not saying don't write Lesniak, but if that is all you do, and not hit up your reps, you are missing out.

I agree, but it may help to appeal to his guttural political instincts.....a means to an end.

Originally posted by ruman:
Need to hit these folks up on email/twitter. Something like Join Senator Lesniaks efforts to support Rutgers basketball
In no way is Lesniak supporting Rutgers. He is criticizing Rutgers, and using this issue as a platform. And you guys are taking the bait hook line and sinker, because it is what you want to hear. Everyone knows that Rutgers needs facility upgrades. What we also know is that the donors aren't there to get ti done, and that the school has serious budget issues.

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

Originally posted by ruman:
In no way is Lesniak supporting Rutgers. He is criticizing Rutgers, and using this issue as a platform. And you guys are taking the bait hook line and sinker, because it is what you want to hear. Everyone knows that Rutgers needs facility upgrades. What we also know is that the donors aren't there to get ti done, and that the school has serious budget issues.
^^This is one of the strangest posts I've read in a long time. When you want to see change made it's because you've identified a problem, then you address it in whichever forum is customary to you. Rutgers is a big political and financial forum, and Lesniak, being not only a state senator but also a Rutgers grad AND men's season-ticket holder to basketball, is addressing Barchi directly, and his story got picked up by the media. And the donors are here, it's that without the leadership, which includes a healthy dose of enthusiasm for the project from the administration, the donors won't be enthused about it getting done. Lesniak's position and enthusiasm might be enough to get the ball rolling, for the relevant minds to come together and get this done. As a function of the overall budget at Rutgers, and given the BTN money that will be coming in, it isn't a huge task to get a practice facility done and it won't cost the university much, if anything, depending on how the deal is structured. And even if it did cost the university something, that's not abnormal given the campus activity it will spur for the next few decades.

Okay, let's break it down.

First, Lesniak is not supporting Rutgers, he is criticizing the school's efforts to raise money to fund a basketball facility.

Supporting Rutgers means doing something to help Rutgers reach that goal. Lesniak has simply criticized the current administration for not borrowing money to complete the project. Criticism, even if warranted is not support.

Second, Lesniak's criticism is that the school is not willing to commit to financing at least half of the project. (Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think he is suggesting that if the school put out plans and commits to financing the second half, that will encourage donors to fund the first half). If he isn't willing to persuade Trenton to increase our budget for the first time in over a decade, he should stay the hell out of it. Let the school make its own decisions on what capital projects make sense and how to spend the Big Ten money that isn't even going to be here for another 5 years. Typical State government, spending someone else's money before they even have it yet.

I understand this is an athletics forum, and people here desperately want to see an investment made in basketball. I share those goals, but I also want what is best for Rutgers. I don't want any legislators butting in to tell RU how to spend its money, especially where the advice is to take more debt on to a program running further in the red than any in the nation! Given the way the State legislature and the SL blasted us the last time we financed an athletics project, the fact that they are waging this battle is laughable. The last time around we were financing a stadium expansion to meet real ticket demand (revenue). They blasted us for the better part of six months, resulting in BOG/BOT hearings and the ouster of Bob Mulcahy. All this is is a way for the SL to lay further criticism on the current administration (from whatever angle they can find), and a way for the Dems in Trenton to push their dislike for Barchi who is seen as Christie's guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT