ADVERTISEMENT

Friedgen & McDaniel Will Both Play a Role in New QB

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
According to another Rutgers site, "Friedgen and McDaniel both play a role in the search for Gary Nova's replacement. Flood said the decision date remains mid-August--about 10 days into training camp."

My fingers are really crossed on this. If our offense can show some meaningful balance (ie passing), I think we will be pretty competitive on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
If we plan to have a winning season we have to hope that Rettig grasps the offense and wins over the locker room.

He gives us our best chance to win.

Laviano may be a good game manager but he doesn't have the arm nor moxy to win at this level.

If we plan to have a winning season we have to hope that Rettig grasps the offense and wins over the locker room.

He gives us our best chance to win.

Laviano may be a good game manager but he doesn't have the arm nor moxy to win at this level.
Disagree. At spring game Laviano displayed the ability to zip a pass and put touch on it. Rettig clearly could only throw a billion miles an hour.

I don't know. The spring game didn't tell me much about either. Laviano had some nice plays and has experience, but that TD pass was in double (triple?) coverage. Rettig didn't really have a chance to do much because there was a fumble on one drive and on another his receivers weren't hepful.

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
I don't know. The spring game didn't tell me much about either. Laviano had some nice plays and has experience, but that TD pass was in double (triple?) coverage. Rettig didn't really have a chance to do much because there was a fumble on one drive and on another his receivers weren't hepful.
Agreed. The spring game didn't seem like enough for me to conclusively determine who, IMO, was the better QB. Also, Nova improved so much in the off-season leading to his senior year that I wouldn't base much on anything I saw at the Spring game anyway.

The only conclusion I formed about our passing game was that it needed a lot of work, both from the QBs and the receivers. Hoping for a good summer camp.

Fridge showed up 1-2 days in Spring and will show up another day or 2 in Fall and will watch "all the film". Can only help the QB situation to have a great QB mind like Fridge helping--- but I think you have to keep it in perspective....... it's 99% on McDaniels....

This thread proves that people see what they want to see. I thought Lav was pretty decent and Rettig didn't get the cooperation he could have. So, as far as the Spring game, the jury is still out on him. Also, the other QBs didn't get much help either. Just hope that this crop of QBs will be better than the previous set.

In another thread, someone said Savage was a bust. That's not true. He was brought in as a pro type QB, and Schiano let his subordinates change the offense. The OL was recruited as pro style as well and was not doing well with the changed offense. That whole experiment was a bust. When Savage got to Pitt, their style of play allowed him to produce.
A gamble by GS cost RU big time, but he was prone to do those things every now and then.

This thread proves that people see what they want to see. I thought Lav was pretty decent and Rettig didn't get the cooperation he could have. So, as far as the Spring game, the jury is still out on him. Also, the other QBs didn't get much help either. Just hope that this crop of QBs will be better than the previous set.

In another thread, someone said Savage was a bust. That's not true. He was brought in as a pro type QB, and Schiano let his subordinates change the offense. The OL was recruited as pro style as well and was not doing well with the changed offense. That whole experiment was a bust. When Savage got to Pitt, their style of play allowed him to produce.
A gamble by GS cost RU big time, but he was prone to do those things every now and then.

More so (or at least as equally) than QB, concern is whether we can get a productive OL and backups settled early in camp.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Hopefully they both perform well in the fall and we are picking from a position of strength rather who can manage a game plan that is required to be conservative because we can only trust our QB not to lose the game rather than win it.

Ah.if only GS had been supine ,who knows what heights Savage would have reached.

Reactions: OriginalKnight
If we're going to be in the top tier this year one of them had better be f'n great.

Reactions: nafije
Can't remember where I read it but have heard Laviano is one of the best athletes on the team. I kind of like that from a QB. His ability to scramble and maybe run saves a drive or two a game. So if they are even in the QB areas then I would rather have Laviano out there.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Thinking along the same lines, RUckus....
I'd take Ryan, who I thought was a wonderful precision passer.
(Scott Erney, could do both)

I hope both QBs turn out to be competent running the O. With a newish OL, and perhaps with us taking advantage of a more mobile QB, there's more of a chance of needing to use the backup QB a lot this year. And if we have two good QB's, it makes it more likely we can take advantage of Laviano's running ability (we can take some risks).

I'll wait to see how the summer goes, but I suspect it will be tough to go nose to nose with some of the Big 10 teams in a pro-style offense this season. A mobile QB threat helps that situation a lot.

Miller (OG), while on the small side, is quick and explosive (from his wrestling days). And they seem to like to have him pull on a lot of plays. Which I would think could potentially help w/a running QB.

OTOH, if we sit back and just try to play it straight up - I think we'll get crushed by some of the D's we're going to face.

I hope both QBs turn out to be competent running the O. With a newish OL, and perhaps with us taking advantage of a more mobile QB, there's more of a chance of needing to use the backup QB a lot this year. And if we have two good QB's, it makes it more likely we can take advantage of Laviano's running ability (we can take some risks).

I'll wait to see how the summer goes, but I suspect it will be tough to go nose to nose with some of the Big 10 teams in a pro-style offense this season. A mobile QB threat helps that situation a lot.

Miller (OG), while on the small side, is quick and explosive (from his wrestling days). And they seem to like to have him pull on a lot of plays. Which I would think could potentially help w/a running QB.

OTOH, if we sit back and just try to play it straight up - I think we'll get crushed by some of the D's we're going to face.

The other thing to consider - if Laviano wins the job but we have a fully capable backup QB in Rettig, maybe McDaniel will be quicker to put Laviano out of the pocket and let him make plays with his feet.

The other thing to consider - if Laviano wins the job but we have a fully capable backup QB in Rettig, maybe McDaniel will be quicker to put Laviano out of the pocket and let him make plays with his feet.
Isn't that what I said? Or are you showing me how to say it more concisely?

One thing I know for sure. No matter who wins we will have some fans who are completely out of line against that QB and the staff for picking him. Write it down.

Reactions: vkj91
Glass_ffaa5c_761746.jpg

Reactions: fanhawk19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT