ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 24 NORTHWESTERN : Rutgers will not go quietly

I love defense always have, I’m just happy the season is fun again. Next year might be different but hopefully just as fun.
could be a different type of fun. I gave up after PSU. The fact that we are on the underside of the bubble is borderline miraculous

So BAC are you saying that last night, we ran won step head and as we followed RU in the Dance?

Amazing that we held Buie to no points the last 17 minutes. Kudos to JMike.

Buie is interesting. Both he and Young of Maryland are the best guards and maybe best players in the league.(Williams is not yet eligible but because hasn’t played enough games ;-) While Buie is as good a shooter as any, he gets away with a lot of leading with his off hand elbow and Michael Jordon like push offs. Wonder how he will be officiated in a NCAA tourney game.

I wonder if we are a bit spoiled by how good Cliff is. He was one point away and one rebound away from a double double against a tourney team. Plus four blocks.

And analytics be damned because unless there is a stat for shots altered, you would not realize how dominant he is defensively.

In the under appreciated category, Noah Fernandes and Oskar deserve a ton of credit as they may have saved the season by their performances in the first half. Noah had a sparkling five defensive rebounds and three assists. That’s great guard play.

If Oskar doesn’t do his thing hitting those threes we may have been down with an insurmountable lead. Perhaps more importantly gave us the confidence and momentum that we could win this game.

In the also underrated vein, despite missing some shots, Simpson has indeed become the consummate play maker and ball handler. Four assists plus the biggie to Hyatt. He does yeoman’s work bringing the ball up court and had only two turnovers in the game. Throw in his usual stellar defense including four steals and as usual perfect from the line. Can’t ask much more from a facilitator and distributor plus his D.

JMikes 2nd half D was a defensive performance for the ages. Double digits in scoring was a huge plus.

Do believe JMike and our D wore down Buie, whose first half shooting was as good a shooting performance I’ve ever seen at the RAC. As I mentioned in Degaz-RU review, the best opposition shooting I’ve seen at the RAC were Allan Houston and D’Angelo Russell. I don’t remember Chris Mullen really going off at the RAC and we beat them one year at home. Larry Bird before my time.

I just marvel at J Williams stat line, 15 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists. He’s just been so good.

Andre Hyatt with a quiet great game. 10 point, 6 rebounds and the three that won it.

Indeed, Hyatt, Simpson and Williams all had ice in their veins with the clutch shots down the stretch.

Total team victory including some RAC magic as Cliff and JWilliams, Rocky like, coming back up from injuries. The best RAC magic might have been the JWilliams shot and a bit surprised not more talk about it. That was the best bounce of year hitting the rim then seemingly floating for several seconds before dropping through the rim. That play deserved a lyric. ;-).

Games like this and Maryland show we can win win close games and bodes well for rest of this year and next year. Builds so much confidence.

The only negative of the game is foul shooting almost cost us the game. If JMike wants more minutes, he has to learn how to hit fouls shot. Less than 50% as a guard is inexcusable. I was stunned JWilliams missed two. Spoiled already? Good thing Simpson and Hyatt combined were 6-7 but if Hyatt had hit one more we all would have breathed easier.

Finally as BAC refuses to ever give much weight to it, but I will always call him on it, in a season of awful officiating, this game was up there. Kept NW in the game. And no calls and questionable calls just as important as the total number of calls.

And if you punch 🤜 or elbow someone in the gonads you get tossed. Case closed. And a former Princeton player no less. SMH.

Fun win! In the words of Bob Wenzel, Dream big Dreams.

Reactions: BillyC80
Maybe wording can be different.

One thing to keep in mind. I would think every Rutgers fan would say we are so much better in offense with JWill.

The reality is our adjusted offensive efficiency numbers have been putrid 3 of the 4 games. EDIT ADD It doesn't mean that things won't improve

We are still a bad offensive team with Jwill. EDIT We have had bad offensive results as a team with JWIll.
Well you don't go from being one of the worst offensive efficiency teams in the country to one of the best. You have to measure Rutgers pre JWill vs post JWill

Reactions: Arizona Knight
Excellent write up as usual. My biggest takeaway was that we didn’t play very well almost all game and Northwestern did play well for long stretches of the game , but we still found a way to win. That tells you a lot about the resilience of this team especially when their backs are up against the wall. Somehow some way Pike is a master when he is walking out on that plank. Cannot explain it but he gets his defense turned up to elite level and somehow there appears enough offense to win the game. Just awesome and amazing at the same time.

So many contributions but again I have said it repeatedly stop turning the ball over and you give yourself a chance. 8 first half turnovers and looking like absolute crap, a step slow , missed shot after missed shot , but bailed out late with 3 Oskar threes in 2 minutes that gets it down to 5 and then a manageable 7 point deficit at halftime. Only 1 second half turnover and the effort picked up immensely on both ends and even though we still missed shots , fast break opportunities , dunks by Cliff and a 1 foot lay in that he left short , we turned up the defense against Buie and against their whole team and then we finally made shots. Foul shooting still a huge problem that almost cost us . Again , I repeat , the most impressive thing was winning when we did not play well like a C level game. That says a lot , good teams find a way to win even when they do not play at their best. On top of that , resilience not once but three times , in the first half down 13 and things looking hopeless and cutting it to 5 , after we got it tied finally with Cliff’s foul shot at 42 all , Northwestern goes back up 7 in less than 2 minutes and we erased it , and then again the final push to finally take a 5 point lead which evaporates when we leave Brooks open for 3 in the only defensive mistake of the half but Hyatt hitting the huge 3 . Lots of guts tonight.

Ton of huge plays but the biggest in my mind was the Jeremiah block on Nicholson at the rim that prevented them from expanding their lead. He has been really great in being the go to guy and in reviving Cliff’s involvement but his defense is underated.

The refs were terrible mostly against Ru but the ejection of Lansborg was a bad call. I thought Flagrant one but Carino is reporting he asked Collins in . the postgame presser what the refs said, and he said a blow to the chops is either a common foul or a Flagrant 2. They could not call a Flagrant 1. If true , that Rule has to change. He should not been tossed . Also did not think they was a foul on Boo’s last shot . Our guys standing straight and Boo thrusting his body into them. That is a no call all game long. The numerous other calls against RU and there were about 5-6 were just horrendous. We never get a home whistle. One of the few teams that doesn’t and always have to play against the refs home and away and still found a way to win. Tremendous win and we live another day with hopes of the Dance flashing somewhere in the back of our minds.

If we are not trying to help kids avoid taking elbows to the junk, what are we even doing here?

Now try second half MAryland and Michigan and what spits out in the last four and include Northwestern second half just for giggles
Keg, Did I miss your response about the second half offensive efficiency #’s ?

I think we are a better team if he scores less and others score more.

As far as the elite defensive efficiency scores....don't know what to think. There is always going to be a small part of luck in those def scores....unconcious shooting, banked 3s, high FT%, but we are really bringing it and unlike last year we have depth at guard.

If we can find a way to score 1.00 PPP in B1G play (raw not adjusted) I think we will win 80+% of games.

I’m not sure what your trying to say here but if Jeremiah Williams didn’t step up and put the team on his back in isolation in the 1st half the game when he did - the game would’ve gotten out of reach. His isolation baskets at the 10:20 and 9:36 marks when nobody else could score were huge and opened things up for our offense and changed the way NW had to defend us. We were sitting at 1 for 8 from the floor up until that point. We shot a respectable 44.4% the rest of the game. The fact that he can create his own shot has been a game changer. I don’t care what the fancy stats say.

Well you don't go from being one of the worst offensive efficiency teams in the country to one of the best. You have to measure Rutgers pre JWill vs post JWill
We are 12 points per 100 possessions total over our average with JWILL

OFF 102.2 vs 98.2
DEF 81.9 vs 89.9

It is almost an identical 2 to 1 impact defense to offense.

Obviously on both sides of the ball there is so much going on and the extent impact to each of those figures is defintely debateable.

Reactions: Scangg
No one needs to be told again of the impact Jeremiah has made, but I din't think you fully appreciate it unless you see it in person, choosing where to focus rather than having the camera do it. Last night there were times I thought he was dribbling too much, but each of those two or three times, the ball wound up in the hoop. Indeed, a special player. The team REALLY is playing well defensively. If we don't turn the ball over a lot and get Mag back healthy, we're going to be super tough to score on.

Reactions: BillyC80 and goru7
One thing to keep in mind. I would think every Rutgers fan would say we are so much better in offense with JWill.

The reality is our adjusted offensive efficiency numbers have been putrid 3 of the 4 games.

We are still a bad offensive team with Jwill.
Offensive efficiency is not ALL THAT.

We are 12 points per 100 possessions total over our average with JWILL

OFF 102.2 vs 98.2
DEF 81.9 vs 89.9

It is almost an identical 2 to 1 impact defense to offense.

Obviously on both sides of the ball there is so much going on and the extent impact to each of those figures is defintely debateable.

What am I missing here? There have been more than 50 possessions per game for us on average over the past 4 games yes? That means we’re averaging over 6 points more per game on an adjusted basis over the past 4 games. How is that not a material improvement?

Offensive efficiency is not ALL THAT.
yes and no...
How many points did you score divided by how many possessions did you have. That's about as black and white as it is. Evaluating an offense using it over a 4 game period is where I agree.

What am I missing here? There have been more than 50 possessions per game for us on average over the past 4 games yes? That means we’re averaging over 6 points more per game on an adjusted basis over the past 4 games. How is that not a material improvement?
Use 70. On average 4 *.7 or 2.8 points per game better. Our defense 5.6 points per game better.

Again attributing 5.6 points better defense for JWILL is silly and at the same time you would think his contribution is well over 2.8 points per game.

Obviously players are under or out performing our normal offense and defense around JWILL in that 4 game startech.

Thanks Bac for clarifying Buie's scoring last night. In the middle of the second half, I thought to myself, not wanting to say anything out loud that would invoke the jinx, "has he scored this half?" I'd forgotten the two early threes. Great defense by JMike in the second half.

As inconsistent as Derek's shooting is, he's passing the much better recently and honestly could have had 8 assists or more if we could make dunks and layups. His defense has been very good too especially his off the ball anticipation and getting into passing lanes. J-Mike deserves a lot of credit too. 11 points were big but he literally crawled into Buie's jock in the 2nd half. Helluva gutty performance.

Two things. When we got close or tied and Pike put in Ogbole/Palm/Gavin, I thought to myself we have no one to score on the court. Thankfully he quickly changed the line up before we got too far behind. Regarding Buie, I kept saying to myself you need to deny him the ball, keep it out of his hands. That is exactly what Davis did during the last 15 minutes of the game.

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT