ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 25 MINNESOTA: Back to the drawing board

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Well this will be a short recap. I imagine we are all deflated tonight. NCAA hopes on life support. Not totally out but it does not look good. Rutgers now would need to win 5 of its next 6 to be in play. Not good all around tonight. Not ready for the moment. Elite defense did not travel. I do not have the answers to what went wrong. Mentally we were not locked in and that is disappointing It seemed like we were chasing all night. RU shot well early but their game is not to match their opponent at shooting 50%. Playing at a pace in the 70s is simply not Rutgers game. There was brief moment where they looked like the Rutgers of the last 4 and managed for forge a 7 point slowing Minny down but that quickly disappeared. What was disappointing was how quickly the game got out of hand coming out of the lockerroom for the 2nd half. Minny took it to us and instead of the composed RU defense putting their head down and working, Rutgers panicked...and they would panic on offense. This game reminded me more of the Rutgers vs Princeton/Missisissppi State before J Will came. Very disjointed and disarray on offense. Minnesota not known for their defense exploited our mistakes and we compounded the issue by playing right into their hands and payed for it dearly burned in transition. Do not be fooled. Sure RU got close with a 11-0 run in 90 seconds but you cannot just decide to come to play with a few minutes left.The game was lost coming out after halftime. Minny was in this position with leads vs Iowa and Purdue and tonight they fought back despite the furious RU rally. You cant go down 17 points with 3:39 left and expect to survive.

Look Rutgers had a great 4 game run that got our hopes up. J Will was a huge boost. Now there is film on J Will. Minny played great D on. J Will isnt a miracle worker. Frustrating games will happen. He looks a bit banged up and that will bit makes a huge difference. Unfortunately not one of this teammates picked up the slack for him. Back to some selfish out of control takes, some pouty looks and Coach Pikiell gee whiz. Pike was thoroughly outcoached for the third straight time at Minnesota. Pike has trouble against these athletic teams with tons of shooters such as Iowa, Nebby (despite the rac win), and ND. His substituions were painful. Cliff was dominant in the paint in the first half but instead of going to him right away. We didnt. At key times when the game was close, he had Cliff out and extended play for Woofolk who may have played his worst game ever. Gavin again awful. Hyatt simply not rising to the occasion as a senior leader. Derek looking like a mess with his decision making for most of the game and then suddenly waking up but waay too late. Cliff was Cliff Great effort but he was getting beat on defense and then Pike had him on the bench in key moments. J Mike looked every bit a freshmen unlike earlier games. Mag a non factor. Noah mia. Austin Williams sighting where did that come from. He did bring good energy late so we could provide that roll going forward. It was collectively our worst game since Penn State and reminder that this team still has major challlenges. To go 9 minutes with just one fg isnt really surprising. Minnesota looked like the better team. Give them major credit. They really took it to Rutgers tonight. Big win for them tonight. Johnson got talent in and he has some younger players stepping up. They still are hanging on to slim NCAA hopes themselves

Can this team bounce back. Sure they can but the problem is the next game is Purdue, who is coming off a loss while Rutgers will clearly be down. Not expecting anything pretty at Mackey, so for me the focus is to bounce back at the RAC with those 2 home games vs Maryland and Michigan and then see where that puts them in the with those last 4 to go. I dont know if this team got caught looking ahead or thought they were better than they were or they were distracted by the NCAA tourney talk but have to put this one behind them and get back to work.

You need to give Minnesota a lot of credit. They came out in the second half and bitch smacked us. For all this board talks about Garcia the kid Payne has had two monster games against us. At least we're not a train wreck team anymore but unless we beat Purdue that likely puts NCAA talk to bed. I'd personally be happy with NIT and said that after Game 1 this season.

exactly Garcia was expected to be the guy to kill us but Payne just had his way. We fouled too often. Minny guards were able to get that ball into the pain with ease. Just a missed defensive gameplan by Pike.

perhaps asking RU to beat a very improved and possibly better than them Minny team on the road was too much of an ask.

Yep. Give Coach Johnson and Minnesota credit !

They adjusted to us much better than we adjusted to Minnesota

Jeremiah Williams was a non factor!

Cliff was neutralized in H2

Minnesota came out roaring in H2 and caused another scoring drought for us!

Was not one of Pikes better games.

Adjustments were weak.

Defense played soft and allowed Payne to cause pain !

And consistently going to Wolf to spell Cliff was nauseating!

Reactions: tm_nj
Well this will be a short recap. I imagine we are all deflated tonight. NCAA hopes on life support. Not totally out but it does not look good. Rutgers now would need to win 5 of its next 6 to be in play. Not good all around tonight. Not ready for the moment. Elite defense did not travel. I do not have the answers to what went wrong. Mentally we were not locked in and that is disappointing It seemed like we were chasing all night. RU shot well early but their game is not to match their opponent at shooting 50%. Playing at a pace in the 70s is simply not Rutgers game. There was brief moment where they looked like the Rutgers of the last 4 and managed for forge a 7 point slowing Minny down but that quickly disappeared. What was disappointing was how quickly the game got out of hand coming out of the lockerroom for the 2nd half. Minny took it to us and instead of the composed RU defense putting their head down and working, Rutgers panicked...and they would panic on offense. This game reminded me more of the Rutgers vs Princeton/Missisissppi State before J Will came. Very disjointed and disarray on offense. Minnesota not known for their defense exploited our mistakes and we compounded the issue by playing right into their hands and payed for it dearly burned in transition. Do not be fooled. Sure RU got close with a 11-0 run in 90 seconds but you cannot just decide to come to play with a few minutes left.The game was lost coming out after halftime. Minny was in this position with leads vs Iowa and Purdue and tonight they fought back despite the furious RU rally. You cant go down 17 points with 3:39 left and expect to survive.

Look Rutgers had a great 4 game run that got our hopes up. J Will was a huge boost. Now there is film on J Will. Minny played great D on. J Will isnt a miracle worker. Frustrating games will happen. He looks a bit banged up and that will bit makes a huge difference. Unfortunately not one of this teammates picked up the slack for him. Back to some selfish out of control takes, some pouty looks and Coach Pikiell gee whiz. Pike was thoroughly outcoached for the third straight time at Minnesota. Pike has trouble against these athletic teams with tons of shooters such as Iowa, Nebby (despite the rac win), and ND. His substituions were painful. Cliff was dominant in the paint in the first half but instead of going to him right away. We didnt. At key times when the game was close, he had Cliff out and extended play for Woofolk who may have played his worst game ever. Gavin again awful. Hyatt simply not rising to the occasion as a senior leader. Derek looking like a mess with his decision making for most of the game and then suddenly waking up but waay too late. Cliff was Cliff Great effort but he was getting beat on defense and then Pike had him on the bench in key moments. J Mike looked every bit a freshmen unlike earlier games. Mag a non factor. Noah mia. Austin Williams sighting where did that come from. He did bring good energy late so we could provide that roll going forward. It was collectively our worst game since Penn State and reminder that this team still has major challlenges. To go 9 minutes with just one fg isnt really surprising. Minnesota looked like the better team. Give them major credit. They really took it to Rutgers tonight. Big win for them tonight. Johnson got talent in and he has some younger players stepping up. They still are hanging on to slim NCAA hopes themselves

Can this team bounce back. Sure they can but the problem is the next game is Purdue, who is coming off a loss while Rutgers will clearly be down. Not expecting anything pretty at Mackey, so for me the focus is to bounce back at the RAC with those 2 home games vs Maryland and Michigan and then see where that puts them in the with those last 4 to go. I dont know if this team got caught looking ahead or thought they were better than they were or they were distracted by the NCAA tourney talk but have to put this one behind them and get back to work.
I don’t think you can say we got caught looking ahead or distracted. We came out and played a good first half despite the defense not being great. But Pike lost halftime, and our offense just sputtered in the first 5 minutes and could never recover.

Life on the road in the Big Ten. And we just don’t have enough offensive weapons to win games where our defense gets outplayed.

Game was lost with the big minutes and effort played by jeremiah simpsom and cliff vs Northwestern…..

I think Pike should have played jeremiah less in half 1.

I have been saying this for awhile now. Gavin should not be playing. A williams or oskar please.

Gavin is going backwards. We are hurting his development playing him.

Playing a meaningful February game is a win considering how the season was going. We needed a miracle.

I know how this is going to sound coming from me but I can't believe how bad Griffiths is. Watching another freshman in Christie play... it's not even close.

I dunno our first half had no defensive intensity, any little lead we had was pissed away. The last sequence with Derek is infuriating to me because it does not have to happen..if you are going to do that please dont have the entire team parked under the basket...throw the ball inside for a shot and time will run on rebound

no excuse for continually just running clock and throwing up a 3 on our last possesion

Game was lost with the big minutes played by some and the effort vs Northwestern.

I have been saying this for awhile now. Gavin should not be playing. A williams or oskar please.

stop....Minny played same night vs Purdue giving it all they had at mackey. Their top 4 played 38, 37, 32, 31

Gavin isnt why we lost considering our defense was trash,...Gavin is part of a bigger depth problem and yes its looking like a big recruiting miss. Make no mistake guys like Hyatt and Derek not being comfortable during chaos is an issue. Mag wasnt good either tonight. Noah giving us nothing albeit he is banged up too

Pike has to roll with J Will because we are a bad team without him.

I forget A Williams was even on the team and yeah a few good minutes late but come on.

Game was lost with the big minutes and effort played by jeremiah simpsom and cliff vs Northwestern…..

We aren't "hurting his development" playing him. That's nonsense. He just is a mega miss, and should transfer.

It was such a weird start when JWill slipped a few times on the court in the first 4 minutes of the game. It just seemed to throw off the entire flow and swag to his game tonight. Not sure what was going on there.

The pace of the game wasn't ours when the score was 37-37 at half, it reminded me of @ Iowa and @ Ohio St.

Playing a meaningful February game is a win considering how the season was going. We needed a miracle.

I know how this is going to sound coming from me but I can't believe how bad Griffiths is. Watching another freshman in Christie play... it's not even close.
There is no question that the performance of Griffiths has been deeply disappointing.He was highly rated as a big time shooter in high school.The lack of player development has consequences because the team lacks 3 point shooters.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
Not really. He's actually passable defensively now. The problem is he can't do anything on offense.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I have watched him almost anytime he's on the court since day 1. He's a little better defensively but he's still very weak and its why opposing teams offense starts hitting once he's in. They know it and they attack him. He needs to just keep focusing on his toughness and effort on the defensive end and get his tail in the paint more on both ends.

Reactions: jonS and HPNJRUfan
The lack of effort on the boards except for Cliff was so so bad. Payne got 7 points on offensive rebound put backs. Not sure Hyatt or Mag even tried to jump tonight . Huge part of the loss when they missed their shots on a night they shot pretty well.
Cliff dominated offensively and shot 6-9 in first half and 1 shot in second half , are you kidding me ? How did we start half with JMike missing 2 layups leading to Minnesota transition and not have the ball to Cliff. ? The amount of missed layups thereafter , Jeremiah on a 3 on one , then Derek ,then the back to back Hyatt misses and even the make that was forced and he got lucky it went in. Division 1 players really should not be missing layups at this level.
Then why Cliff subbed out when they went on the 11-2 run out of half. Wolf was not only terrible getting 2 layups blocked but defensively he didn’t get a rebound or even try to jump for a rebound. A lot of the team did not jump for rebounds. Payne extended his great night onWolf or on the offensive glass because Wolfnever put a body on him. Not sure how you let that happen , Cliff was not in foul trouble.

Where was the urgency and hustle for such a big game ? The defensive intensity with 2 minutes shows up but where was it for the other 38 minutes.
We got comfortable in the first half getting a lot of easy buckets thinking it was going to continue to happen and I guess they thought they didn’t have to ratchet up the defense because they foolishly thought they were going to win at with offense alone. That is a huge lack of maturity and leadership. Hyatt coming up so small in such a big game I guess is not unexpected but would have been nice if he had a 20 point 8 rebound once in a key spot.
If you are not going to play with defensive intensity , then you have to set up more opportunities for 3 pointers. Very hard to win with 4 made threes to their 8 which was one huge difference along with the pathetic rebounding . That has to realized , an adjustment made , some double screens , flair screens and maybe some inside out with Cliff dominating and could have set up the kick out. Huge miss there.
Disappointed they let Minnesota do what they wanted and did not realize the effort needed to get 5 in a row.

Reactions: LeapinLou
stop....Minny played same night vs Purdue giving it all they had at mackey. Their top 4 played 38, 37, 32, 31

Gavin isnt why we lost considering our defense was trash,...Gavin is part of a bigger depth problem and yes its looking like a big recruiting miss. Make no mistake guys like Hyatt and Derek not being comfortable during chaos is an issue. Mag wasnt good either tonight. Noah giving us nothing albeit he is banged up too

I forget A Williams was even on the team and yeah a few good minutes late but come on.
You can think what you want. I said after Northwestern game i was worried. Simpson and williams were a step slow all game on D.

So you think fatigue had nothing to do with the way Willliams played

Please dont compare the way minnesota plays to how we play in D vs NW. not remotely the same

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Our perimeter defense and Cliffs backup didn’t travel. Minne has a great pg who creates first and they move the ball really well. We weren’t prepared defensively which is a little eye opening. Our offensive efficiency of the first 20 games reappeared in the second half tonight. Just awful on the fast break. Oh well the last four games were fun.

Reactions: tm_nj
Our perimeter defense and Cliffs backup didn’t travel. Minne has a great pg who creates first and they move the ball really well. We weren’t prepared defensively which is a little eye opening. Our offensive efficiency of the first 20 games reappeared in the second half tonight. Just awful on the fast break. Oh well the last four games were fun.
This was our 4th best adjusted offensive efficiency of the entire season. The defense is what let us down tonight; it was the worst of the season by a fair margin.

Gavin doesnt close out on a 3 and gets his shot blocked on a 3. We cant afford to keep playing a guybthat is doing nothing when we have guys on the bench that bring thigs to the game.

Maybe the hole is dug so deep if Gavin didnt play against NW.

Gg is 15lbs of muscle away from being good.
And do you trust our strength and conditioning coach can do that for him? I don’t, look at Simpson two years in and he still has the body of a high school sophomore.

Reactions: fatsam98
You can think what you want. I said after Northwestern game i was worried. Simpson and williams were a step slow all game on D.

So you think fatigue had nothing to do with the way Willliams played

Please dont compare the way minnesota plays to how we play in D vs NW. not remotely the same

The lack of bench didn’t help

Jwill , Jmike , deeek and cliff plays 31-32 minute each …that’s too much if we want to play at this higher pace AND play this level of defense

I thought we were a 1/2 step off in the first half and it was masked with cliff having a good half and hitting our first three threes …

i am ok with 31-32 minutes but not after how many minutes and how hard we played thursday.

This game was almost inevitable. If you are a runner or swimmer and you go all out on a 5K or 1000 meter swim you are not going to be in peak performance in 3 days.

Especially j will

i am ok with 31-32 minutes but not after how many minutes and how hard we played thursday.

This game was almost inevitable. If you are a runner or swimmer and you go all out on a 5K or 1000 meter swim you are not going to be in peak performance in 3 days.

Especially j will

Did Minny go all out at Purdue

Reactions: shields

Especially j will
Except part of the failure was the problem from the early part of year , the total lack of defensive rebounding except for Cliff . Hyatt, Wolf , Mag and Gavin do not even try to jump or get a rebound . That is not being exhausted from the NW game just bad fundamental basketball . This was something I thought we were done with but it came back to bite us in the ass .
The amount of missed layups where we were sped up , also was something I thought we were past or at least improved with , but it reared its ugly head. That had nothing to do with tired legs.
Maybe no in your face defense and that was absent and maybe part of your point , but if we just did the 2 other things we likely win the game. I am not attributing it to tired legs.

Reactions: shields and kcg88
Elite defenses struggle with robust ball movement. Houston has among the worst assist to field goal ratios in America.

Payne was a beast, Gophers made their Perimeter shots but more than anything I think they ran great stuff. 20 assists on 25 made field goals, got to the line a bunch, they really executed on O.

It’s a tip of the cap from me, and the kind of thing that happens when you leave yourself with no margin for error

Did Minny go all out at Purdue
They dont play defense like us. Not even close.

I have not said once all year that i was concerned about the minutes and our D the next game. I did after the nw game.

Do you not think it was apparent that tge guys who logged tge minutes were all a step slow on D? Simpson hasnt looked like that all year. Jeremiah looked drunk on the court

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT