ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of Boxing Out is the biggest reason we lost the game against Minnesota.

RCBeta79

Junior
Jun 7, 2013

Minnesota threw up several bad shots and their big men were right there to score or got fouled with the put back.
You cannot win a game with giving up so many offensive rebounds to opponents.

Rutgers loss the game because of excessive fouling and abysmal 3 point shooting.Teams playing on the road aren't going to win shooting 4/19 from the 3 point line and allowing the opponent to shoot more than 20 foul shots.

Rutgers loss the game because of excessive fouling and abysmal 3 point shooting.Teams playing on the road aren't going to win shooting 4/19 from the 3 point line and allowing the opponent to shoot more than 20 foul shots.
...While allowing their opponent to shoot 8/16 from 3.

Reactions: RUJMM78

Minnesota threw up several bad shots and their big men were right there to score or got fouled with the put back.
Been saying this for a couple of years with Cliff he absolutely never boxes out; the rebounds he gets are just on his athletic ability and when the opposing center is bigger like Payne was he has no chance and with Mag in foul trouble we had no one else to rebound last night
As an aside how does Cliff miss so many dunks!!!

Reactions: Pdabs
As an aside how does Cliff miss so many dunks!!!
In all seriousness, I think when Cliff is in traffic, he relies more on his freakish wingspan than his hops, if that makes any sense. This leads him to often miss the cylinder.

RU 33 Minn 37
Offensive RU 13 Minn 11
Defensive RU 20 Minn 26

We gave up some big offensive rebound at key moments but not the reason we lost. They out reboundied us because we missed more shots. Cliff is asked to be shot blocker. He gets out of position on defensive rotations.

Reactions: winfield102

Disagree — their offensive rebounding percentage was only slightly higher than ours, and we actually had more total offensive rebounds and more second points. This game was about the huge disparity in offensive efficiency/making shots in the second half.

Reactions: RW90
RU 33 Minn 37
Offensive RU 13 Minn 11
Defensive RU 20 Minn 26

We gave up some big offensive rebound at key moments but not the reason we lost. They out reboundied us because we missed more shots. Cliff is asked to be shot blocker. He gets out of position on defensive rotations.
Beat me to it by a minute – – I think the reason people have this perception is because one guy got almost all of their offensive rebounds.

Reactions: RUJMM78

May I add even attempting to jump to get a rebound. Wolf , Hyatt, Mag and Gavin didn’t even try to jump to get a rebound if they didn’t box out hoping Cliff would get everything . They were MIA. We would have been up 8-10 at the half if Payne doesn’t get offensive putback rebounds and baskets. Failure of the front court except for Cliff

Reactions: mugrat86
May I add even attempting to jump to get a rebound. Wolf , Hyatt, Mag and Gavin didn’t even try to jump to get a rebound if they didn’t box out hoping Cliff would get everything . They were MIA. We would have been up 8-10 at the half if Payne doesn’t get offensive putback rebounds and baskets. Failure of the front court except for Cliff
You need to take a closer look at blaming everybody but Cliff for what happened on the boards. The guys that Cliff guarded, Payne and Fox, had a total of eight offensive rebounds. Only one other Minnesota player had one offensive rebound. That was Garcia, who was guarded by Hyatt and Mag, who were giving away several inches but still managed to hold him to one offensive rebound. In defense of Cliff however, most of the offensive rebounds he gave up were because of his defensive rotations. RU had more second chance points both in the first half and overall than Minnesota. This game was about offensive efficiency and shooting. Minnesota had it for two halves, RU had it for one.

You need to take a closer look at blaming everybody but Cliff for what happened on the boards. The guys that Cliff guarded, Payne and Fox, had a total of eight offensive rebounds. Only one other Minnesota player had one offensive rebound. That was Garcia, who was guarded by Hyatt and Mag, who were giving away several inches but still managed to hold him to one offensive rebound. In defense of Cliff however, most of the offensive rebounds he gave up were because of his defensive rotations. RU had more second chance points both in the first half and overall than Minnesota. This game was about offensive efficiency and shooting. Minnesota had it for two halves, RU had it for one.
You and me are not watching the same thing. I did not see anyone in the front court , Wolf , Hyatt, Mag or Gavin even try to jump and get a rebound. Willing to rewatch the tape . Cliff was blocking and altering shots and still got rebounds. He needed help and it failed . Cliff was not guarding Payne on a lot of their offensive rebounds , that was Wolf . Plus Cliff was scrambling on some rotations as well as our defense was not airtight. My blame level on Cliff is very low. But maybe the tape shows differently

Reactions: mugrat86

I keep wondering if Mike O'Koren is back and teaching this team (lack of) rebounding

You and me are not watching the same thing. I did not see anyone in the front court , Wolf , Hyatt, Mag or Gavin even try to jump and get a rebound. Willing to rewatch the tape . Cliff was blocking and altering shots and still got rebounds. He needed help and it failed . Cliff was not guarding Payne on a lot of their offensive rebounds , that was Wolf . Plus Cliff was scrambling on some rotations as well as our defense was not airtight. My blame level on Cliff is very low. But maybe the tape shows differently
💯. To blame Cliff or Simpson for that matter is criminal. Wolf is the biggest culprit of not even attempting to get a rebound , block a shot or defend his man.At least, Gavin has been making more of an attempt to rebound. Hyatt and Oskar also are problems on the glass. I do not see Mag as being a problem though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT