ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: RHoops vs. Wisconsin

The good thing is the solutions to turn these disappointments around are clear as day.

I hate to say it but I was trying to say this in January. We just aren’t that good. We don’t have guys who make up shots. A lot of close games but still a year away from truly being an NCAA tournement team. 3 games left plus big 10 so still a chance

Lol... Another game where we are down double digits at the half... We'll probably battle back and lose by 6
Pretty much called it.. at some point you have to question first half preparation. Can't keep trying to dig yourself out of massive holes on the road

This is an embarrassingly bad take
Really? - can't get to the rim. can't stop anyone from penetrating, can't get over screens, can't go by most Big 10 PG's, turns the ball over way too much for a point guard, he's a sub 30% shooter from three. I think he might even be a sub 40% shooter overall. Nice kid, great leader.

Im really beginning to disbelieve the myth of RU being an elite defensive team. The three point shot is always available against them with the way they leave shooters free and then vainly try to recover. Think its coincidence how often opponents light it up from behind the arc? Open threes are like shooting in practice for high major D-1 players. Well except our beloved Knights. Now there's been more sucess at home because teams just dont shoot as well on the road. And they tend to turn the ball over more. In addition the post defense by Johnson or Carter is not good. Basically the RU defensive metrics look good if the oppponent isnt hitting those good looks from 3. But there's no lockdown defense. Even Northwestern gave em fits due to the fact that they were hitting a ton of shots from 3 and scoring effectively inside. It was when they started missing those same shots that the Knights were able to rally in that game. The RU defense is only as good as their opposition is making shots . Not because its being made difficult for them.

Last edited:
Im really beginning to disbelieve the myth of RU being an elite defensive team. The three point shot is always available against them with the way they leave shooters free and then vainly try to recover. Think its coincidence how often opponents light it from behind the arc? Open threes are like shooting in practice for high major D-1 players. Well except our beloved Knights. Now there's been more sucess at home because teams just dont shoot as well on the road. And they tend to turn the ball over more. In addition the post defense by Johnson or Carter is not good. Basically the RU defensive metrics look good if the oppponent isnt hitting those good looks from 3. But there's no lockdown defense. Even Northwestern gave em fits due to the fact that they were hitting a ton of shots from 3 and scoring effectively inside. It was when they started missing those same shots that the Knights were able to rally in that game. The RU defense is only as good as their opposition is making shots . Not because its being made difficult for them.

Rutgers defends every team as if they're as bad at 3 point shooting as Rutgers.

Im really beginning to disbelieve the myth of RU being an elite defensive team. The three point shot is always available against them with the way they leave shooters free and then vainly try to recover. Think its coincidence how often opponents light it from behind the arc? Open threes are like shooting in practice for high major D-1 players. Well except our beloved Knights. Now there's been more sucess at home because teams just dont shoot as well on the road. And they tend to turn the ball over more. In addition the post defense by Johnson or Carter is not good. Basically the RU defensive metrics look good if the oppponent isnt hitting those good looks from 3. But there's no lockdown defense. Even Northwestern gave em fits due to the fact that they were hitting a ton of shots from 3 and scoring effectively inside. It was when they started missing those same shots that the Knights were able to rally in that game. The RU defense is only as good as their opposition is making shots . Not because its being made difficult for them.

we generally swarm down low and try to get in passing lanes. You’re right in that it works against teams that don’t shoot well and are sloppy with the ball.

Really? - can't get to the rim. can't stop anyone from penetrating, can't get over screens, can't go by most Big 10 PG's, turns the ball over way too much for a point guard, he's a sub 30% shooter from three. I think he might even be a sub 40% shooter overall. Nice kid, great leader.
I’m confused what prompted this take.

Last 5 games averages:
Geo: 16 pts, 4 assists, and 2 TOs on 48% shooting from the field.
Young: 5.5 pts, 1 assist, 1.5 TOs on sub 33% shooting
Tez: 5 pts, .5 assist, 1 TO on 28% shooting

What makes you think we’re a better team giving Young and Mathis more minutes at the expense of Geo? I don’t get it

I don’t know why guys are surprised by games like this. . We don’t have one player who starts on Wisconsin. Not One...

This coaching staff is performing miracle work right now

Reactions: #1 RUFan
I don’t know why guys are surprised by games like this. . We don’t have one player who starts on Wisconsin. Not One...

This coaching staff is performing miracle work right now

They may have been performing miracle work earlier in the year but not now. Other teams have figured us out on both end and either we don't have the skill to switch up further or we are being stubborn about changing what we do.

I’m confused what prompted this take.

Last 5 games averages:
Geo: 16 pts, 4 assists, and 2 TOs on 48% shooting from the field.
Young: 5.5 pts, 1 assist, 1.5 TOs on sub 33% shooting
Tez: 5 pts, .5 assist, 1 TO on 28% shooting

What makes you think we’re a better team giving Young and Mathis more minutes at the expense of Geo? I don’t get it
Just watching guys go by him all afternoon, seeing the other team getting a zillion open threes that are too often the result of him getting beat off the dribble, two offensive fouls today the result of his inability to get by the defender. I just don't think he's the player everyone thinks he is, in fact, I know he isn't. Plus, as soon as Geo was put back in the starting lineup Caleb became invisible, and he was a huge part of how well we were playing. And he got back in the lineup because of ten great minutes against the worst team in the league. Personally, I think Caleb got a little screwed, but then again I think Caleb is a better player anyway.

Reactions: Okie Scarlet Knight
They may have been performing miracle work earlier in the year but not now. Other teams have figured us out on both end and either we don't have the skill to switch up further or we are being stubborn about changing what we do.

Again love these guys but the teams we are playing are more talented...

Just watching guys go by him all afternoon, seeing the other team getting a zillion open threes that are too often the result of him getting beat off the dribble, two offensive fouls today the result of his inability to get by the defender. I just don't think he's the player everyone thinks he is, in fact, I know he isn't. Plus, as soon as Geo was put back in the starting lineup Caleb became invisible, and he was a huge part of how well we were playing. And he got back in the lineup because of ten great minutes against the worst team in the league. Personally, I think Caleb got a little screwed, but then again I think Caleb is a better player anyway.

LOL...horrible take

RUforJERSEY said:

we generally swarm down low and try to get in passing lanes. You’re right in that it works against teams that don’t shoot well and are sloppy with the ball.
[/quote]
And its maddening that the plan and scheme always seems to be the same. No matter the strengths of the opponents or the way the game is unfolding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT