ADVERTISEMENT

game thread

RUOH,

Tough with the opponent to get an assessment of players. The obvious difference in 1H AND 2H was Freeman.

random thoughts
1. A PG was missing...many times we didn't make the extra pass (easy one) that would have gotten open looks for three...Grier 3X I recall and Bishop a few
2. The amount of offensive charges were ridiculous.....Ohio you are going to hate me.....had a flashback of Rice yelling "JUMP STOP"
3. Goode's on ball defense was bad...add that it was a D3 school :( If he is going to be on the court he has to be a factor shooting the ball. He didn't take enough, but also my point #1...no sANDERS
4. Williams played at a different speed than the other guards...think 20oz Venti Starbucks with a few shots of espresso. Starts 0-4 and keeps chucking.
5. Sanders very animated on bench getting players water.
6. Diallo gets upset not getting ball in the post and is visibly upset at Daniels and the next possession gets in an arguemwnt with Freeman about the defensive assignment. Next possession questions obvious foul. Maybe good to have a chip on your shoulder, but I think an attitude adjustment may be needed
7. Goode pronounced gooooood. gouda cheese without the a at the end.
8. Diallo's foul shot....oh boy...think Shaquille O'Neal...line drive lasers
9. Daniels disappointed on both ends...not a PG by any stretch. Doesn't appear confident with outside shot. Felt a few times he passed up open looks from top of the key. No questioing his athleticism, Had a few let downs in hlf 1 defensively
10. Played 10+ possessions zone which surprised me...and sort of worried me. Maybe giving it a look, but it seemed with Grier and Goode on the court Jordan felt he had to..
11. Laurent gets an incomplete have zero sense of what he can or can not do
12. After 30+ games still up in the air about Freeman
13. Will Freeman be effective against real competiton...uses body real well...waht about against B1G bodies and atheticism? can he shoot?
14. Lewis a real bad matchup for him..little disappointed he couldn;t have his way against a small team...maybe #1 was an excuse or getting in to foul trouble
15. Foreman had a beutiful dropstep move in half 1...love to see it

Not sure if I am missing anything

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
FIG, Very ? Is it possible they can cover any weakness by playing zone when he is in. I listened on the radio but he sounded like he hit a few shots and made some nice passes.

How did his shot look ? Typically, you can look at a guys form, release, etc and tell if he has the makings of a "Goode" shooter .

FIG....Any chance we will get a long writeup from you about this game? I respect your basketball knowledge (even if we disagree at times) and would love to hear your overall assessment and individual assessments. If not, I'll wait until I see Sunday's game.

VERY SLOW...torched everytime RU NWK guards penetrated...has a quick release, but doesnt elevate and release high. He did have a pull up 17 footer that looked silky smooth. He also missed only 1 shot (I believe) all night. That is obviously worth soemthing.

RUOH,

Tough with the opponent to get an assessment of players. The obvious difference in 1H AND 2H was Freeman.

random thoughts
1. A PG was missing...many times we didn't make the extra pass (easy one) that would have gotten open looks for three...Grier 3X I recall and Bishop a few
2. The amount of offensive charges were ridiculous.....Ohio you are going to hate me.....had a flashback of Rice yelling "JUMP STOP"
3. Goode's on ball defense was bad...add that it was a D3 school :( If he is going to be on the court he has to be a factor shooting the ball. He didn't take enough, but also my point #1...no sANDERS
4. Williams played at a different speed than the other guards...think 20oz Venti Starbucks with a few shots of espresso. Starts 0-4 and keeps chucking.
6. Diallo gets upset not getting ball in the post and is visibly upset at Daniels and the next possession gets in an arguemwnt with Freeman about the defensive assignment. Next possession questions obvious foul. Maybe good to have a chip on your shoulder, but I think an attitude adjustment may be needed
9. Daniels disappointed on both ends...not a PG by any stretch. Doesn't appear confident with outside shot. Felt a few times he passed up open looks from top of the key. No questioing his athleticism, Had a few let downs in hlf 1 defensively
10. Played 10+ possessions zone which surprised me...and sort of worried me. Maybe giving it a look, but it seemed with Grier and Goode on the court Jordan felt he had to..
13. Will Freeman be effective against real competiton...uses body real well...waht about against B1G bodies and atheticism? can he shoot?
14. Lewis a real bad matchup for him..little disappointed he couldn;t have his way against a small team...maybe #1 was an excuse or getting in to foul trouble

Regarding #10, they played so much zone because all of the big men were in foul trouble early. I believe Diallo, Foreman, Lewis and Laurent all had three fouls before half.

VERY SLOW...torched everytime RU NWK guards penetrated...has a quick release, but doesnt elevate and release high. He did have a pull up 17 footer that looked silky smooth. He also missed only 1 shot (I believe) all night. That is obviously worth soemthing.

FIG-- Spot on analysis in the long post above.

As for Goode, I agree his defense looked very suspect but he looks to be the lights out shooter we were hoping for. I would like to see his range because I am worried he wont be able to create for himself. If he can't, EJ is going to have to find a way to get him open because this kid can stroke it.

Regarding #10, they played so much zone because all of the big men were in foul trouble early. I believe Diallo, Foreman, Lewis and Laurent all had three fouls before half.

As mentioned, I listened on the radio. The announcers questioned many of the fouls called on Rutgers. They mentioned that teams will need to make a lot of adjustments due to the new Rules for defenders. Looks like Rutgers did not make those adjustments until the 2nd half or maybe they just set back in a zone.

Didn't think of that.
FIG-- Spot on analysis in the long post above.

As for Goode, I agree his defense looked very suspect but he looks to be the lights out shooter we were hoping for. I would like to see his range because I am worried he wont be able to create for himself. If he can't, EJ is going to have to find a way to get him open because this kid can stroke it.

He would have at least 3 open looks that I counted if guys made the extra pass. Plus there was no Sanders to drive and dish.

If he can shoot from deep...I mean real deep he can stretch the defense.

I just got the sense the team wasn't looking to get him shots....I think if he is on the court you must.

In reality, I envision 10 minutes for him in a game and less for Grier.

against teams with a real front line...Sanders and Lewis take away most of Goodes and Grier's minutes.

As mentioned, I listened on the radio. The announcers questioned many of the fouls called on Rutgers. They mentioned that teams will need to make a lot of adjustments due to the new Rules for defenders. Looks like Rutgers did not make those adjustments until the 2nd half or maybe they just set back in a zone.

zebras called it tight....not sure it went against us. we still pressed when we had guys in foul troule. I still think it was more a personnel thing, but foul could have definitely been the reason for the zone

Tied at halftime and only beating a glorified HS team by 13 points. Wow, are we really this bad? Again?

Up by 22 when Jordan played subs, they got it went down to 13. Would you feel better if the entire team played and we won by 30? That's what would have happened if Sanders played and Freeman played the entire game....lol

Reactions: RC1978
Up by 22 when Jordan played subs . . .

Should that matter? This was a D3 team.

Let me suggest something. Let's wait a bit before we start identifying the big-time talent and ticking off the players who are clearly better than those who got NBA and D League looks. Play a real team first. We've seen pre-season exhibition games, which this essentially was, against far-outclassed opponents in which RU players looked way better than they do against real competition. I remember an early season game against a HS-like opponent in which Dan Waterstradt looked very talented. Who? Exactly. (Look at RU football's stats in its first game this year.) You don't want to have to look back at this thread and wonder what the hell you were thinking. Wait.

Reactions: rufeelinit
Cant really argue with willis above. Guys like Watersradt, Manny Quezada and others have had "big games" against competition at this level. Just last year Shaq went 9/15/5 blocks against Baruch in our exhibition.

That written I do think Freeman is the "real deal" not just an exhibition warrior. He just looks like a 13/7 kid who is also a willing defender. Both Williams and Foreman look improved. Would like to see Foreman "get after it" a bit more on the defensive end and hopefully Freeman's effort rubs off on him. DJ looked much better finishing at the rim (let's see if that continues as the comp gets tougher) and he is a very willing passer. Let's see what Corey brings because if he is solid those four (Sanders, Williams, Freeman, Foreman) look like a "fine" core. Something we may be able to build upon. Lewis is Lewis. He is our 5 and will play d and rebound a bit. Our bench is a "?". Bishop will do "Bishop things" in his 15-20 mpg. He'll wow you. He'll make you shout at your tv. Can we get non-disastrous minutes from some combo of Grier, Laurent, Diallo and/or Goode. Not sure.

I hope we never, ever press again. I know we will, but it is a bad press and we give up much more than we get over the course of a season.

And (just for GRFIG) can Eddie can get his head around his rotations and sub patterns? I thought the bench rotation was REALLY good in the 2nd half last night. Really good. First half was tough to tell as EVERYONE seemingly had 3 fouls. If i were HCing this squad i'd be thinking I am going to get Corey, Williams, Foreman and Freeman between 28-32 minutes every night and plan from there.

Interested in Sunday. If Corey is a solid add I could see 14 or so wins this year.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
RUOH,

random thoughts

#12 I assume you meant Foreman not Freeman?

If we won by 30 TK, would you have been happier?. Sanders did not play and it was first game. Monmouth beat UCLA last night.

Cant really argue with willis above. Guys like Watersradt, Manny Quezada and others have had "big games" against competition at this level. Just last year Shaq went 9/15/5 blocks against Baruch in our exhibition.. . . .

All true. Yet it's hard, even knowing this to be true, not to wax optimistic after seeing one of these games against a non-team, even one like this where RU didn't even dominate. Case in point is everything that follows your opening three sentences. After just having conceded that bad players look good against these teams, you go on to announce on the basis of this game that Freeman is the real deal, Williams is improved, Foreman is improved, DJ is much better finishing at the rim, and they have become a fine core.

My belief has always been that victories in these non-games provides evidence of absolutely nothing. Wait.

Tied at halftime and only beating a glorified HS team by 13 points. Wow, are we really this bad? Again?

You obviously were not at the game. They are Div3, but why the need to denigrate them. Their two forwards who scored 18 and 17 points both could contribute on Div 1 teams. Their guards were pretty quick and could penetrate.

Now they couldn't finish as well, and lack overall size and athleticism, but are expected to do very well in their conference.

This doesn't mean RU should have high expectations, I would have liked them to dominate more, but it was the first game, played without sanders and Freeman for a half. Be careful reading too much into this performance.

Jordan said he was one of the best high school shooters he saw the year he recruited him.
Goode has a very smooth shooting stroke.His problem will be getting open shots.Perhaps,Sanders will find him open in the corners on dribble drives.

I hope most of you realize T2Kplus10 is known for hit and run on all of the Rutgers boards. He's agenda driven and when he's called out, you won't see him for some time until he has new ammo to fire.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Didn't think of that.

He would have at least 3 open looks that I counted if guys made the extra pass. Plus there was no Sanders to drive and dish.

If he can shoot from deep...I mean real deep he can stretch the defense.

I just got the sense the team wasn't looking to get him shots....I think if he is on the court you must.

In reality, I envision 10 minutes for him in a game and less for Grier.

against teams with a real front line...Sanders and Lewis take away most of Goodes and Grier's minutes.

Totally agree with you that the team wasn't looking to make the extra pass to get him the ball. Perhaps that will change as they play more together and when Sanders is running the point. Nevertheless, Goode does seem hesitant to shoot at times and definitely needs to be set up for shots. Don't think he can create his own shot very well just yet.

If an outside shooter is creating his own shots on the perimeter.....it's usually a bad or forced shot....unless you are Steph Curry and he is one of a kind.

Shooters get shots off picks, ball movement, a PG penetrating and dishing, Open shots off 2nd chances or open shots in transition.

Last edited:
I hope most of you realize T2Kplus10 is known for hit and run on all of the Rutgers boards. He's agenda driven and when he's called out, you won't see him for some time until he has new ammo to fire.

So....he has an agenda. The same as Willisneverrana43....lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT