ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Wimsatt Commits to Kentucky!!

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
We are doomed.

"Kentucky wants to get back to running the football. New offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan has talked about how important it is for the quarterback to provide some value as a rusher. There is no doubt that Gavin Wimsatt can provide that, but a ton of development as a passer in the pocket will be needed for the transfer.

Wimsatt projects as a power conference backup who can provide a short window high floor to the offense thanks to his running ability. The redshirt junior has starter-level tools as a passer but must develop better accuracy quickly as constant misfires can make him turnover-prone and prevent an offense from playing on schedule."

Last edited:
and in the SEC they say it's 'kentucky being kentucky'
taking a sub 50% cast off from Rutgers who lost his starting job to a QB with average numbers should open some eyes lol

What is "a short window high floor?"

I wonder if he's going to be a first down/second down QB with a better passer coming in on third down except when it's third and short.

Reactions: Fat Koko
We are doomed.

"Kentucky wants to get back to running the football. New offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan has talked about how important it is for the quarterback to provide some value as a rusher. There is no doubt that Gavin Wimsatt can provide that, but a ton of development as a passer in the pocket will be needed for the transfer.

Wimsatt projects as a power conference backup who can provide a short window high floor to the offense thanks to his running ability. The redshirt junior has starter-level tools as a passer but must develop better accuracy quickly as constant misfires can make him turnover-prone and prevent an offense from playing on schedule."

I was thinking more likely Morehead St.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Ouch:

Wow they have idiot posters too. Lol

If the KU staff wants him I'm sure there's a good reason for it. He gets back home so probably a win win for him. He won't be getting much of a break playing great Defenses down there but I doubt KU plays the Top 3 Defenses in NCAaF next year like we did last year. Not to mention Iowa coming in at number 7 and Miami and VT also ranked in Top 25.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ

If the KU staff wants him I'm sure there's a good reason for it. He gets back home so probably a win win for him. He won't be getting much of a break playing great Defenses down there but I doubt KU plays the Top 3 Defenses in NCAaF next year like we did last year. Not to mention Iowa coming in at number 7 and Miami and VT also ranked in Top 25.
What makes them idiot posters--questioning completion percentage and more INTs than TDs?

Gavin could stay here and backup. If he’s going to transfer, he should transfer to a place where he can start.
Maybe he cares a lot about being back home and would find it preferable to be a backup there than a backup here. It's one thing to be a starter when you're almost 700 miles from home but quite another to be a backup there. If you're going to be a backup anyway, maybe it's better to be home.

Maybe he cares a lot about being back home and would find it preferable to be a backup there than a backup here. It's one thing to be a starter when you're almost 700 miles from home but quite another to be a backup there. If you're going to be a backup anyway, maybe it's better to be home.
Let’s see what he decides. Admittedly, there’s no place like home.

so you think Greg is an idiot now?

better post here

Reactions: Sleeping Giant
Gavin is by all accounts a great kid, had a calm presence in the pocket and looks the part. Greg probably put major handcuffs on the kid to limit turnovers. That being said he just can't even complete the most basic of passes. This team needs to get to the next level and never will with him at QB.

Good luck to Gavin and make the most of your next opportunity.

"Kentucky wants to get back to running the football."

I cannot think of a better quarterback to have on your team if you want to run the ball more. You won't have much of a choice...
Except he almost never runs...

Reactions: zebnatto
We are doomed.

Worst case scenario.

well it is his home state, he's from Owensboro, home of Kentucky's best BBQ joint Moonlite BBQ Inn, famous for their mutton in particular. Really tasty spot and AYCE buffet. If you ever go there, try the burgoo stew

Reactions: Yeah Baby
well it is his home state, he's from Owensboro, home of Kentucky's best BBQ joint Moonlite BBQ Inn, famous for their mutton in particular. Really tasty spot and AYCE buffet. If you ever go there, try the burgoo stew
Are you suggesting Gavin is considering transferring to Kentucky for the Burgoo Stew?

We are doomed.

"Kentucky wants to get back to running the football. New offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan has talked about how important it is for the quarterback to provide some value as a rusher. There is no doubt that Gavin Wimsatt can provide that, but a ton of development as a passer in the pocket will be needed for the transfer.[/URL]

Article said he passes better long which is what I've been saying

"Wimsatt struggled with three-level accuracy last season on tape. Looks like he aims the ball on short passes around the line of scrimmage and misfires on slants. Better at pushing the ball downfield showing some good touch and ball placement on throws up the seam and down the sideline. Has velocity to drive the football down the middle."

RU did not have the OL/WR for long balls (Washington a bit)

Meanwhile, many people seem unaware that Kaliak portaled from Minn for same reasons Gavin portaled - a new starter portaled in (Max Brosmer who completed 64 percent of his passes for 3,459 yards and 29 touchdown passes in 2023 at New Hampshire).

He was already voted a captain by players

Fleck has already taken notice that players are buying into Brosmer.

"He’s already a captain, players vote on that. For him to be in the role that he is already, that takes a lot of work. He’s a really good player, the data is out there to support that. But we’ve got to continue to keep that arrow moving and needle moving for him to be able to close that gap," Fleck said."

SI College football article already naming Brosmer potentially the 6th best QB in B1G. Kaliak they had a 16th.

"Garbers and Kaliakmnis have both made a handful of starts, but haven't shown anything worth writing home about, while M.J. 15,16 out of 18. Morris is an inexperienced transfer from NC State."

So Minn's clunker moved to RU and RU moved theirs to Kentucky. I can understand people wanting an upgrade at QB but RU just got a cast-off. I was reminded of a three stooges skit

"Wimsatt struggled with three-level accuracy last season on tape. Looks like he aims the ball on short passes around the line of scrimmage and misfires on slants. Better at pushing the ball downfield showing some good touch and ball placement on throws up the seam and down the sideline. Has velocity to drive the football down the middle."

Meanwhile, many people seem unaware that Kaliak portaled from Minn for same reasons Gavin portaled - a new starter portaled in (Max Brosmer who completed 64 percent of his passes for 3,459 yards and 29 touchdown passes in 2023 at New Hampshire).

"He’s already a captain, players vote on that. For him to be in the role that he is already, that takes a lot of work. He’s a really good player, the data is out there to support that. But we’ve got to continue to keep that arrow moving and needle moving for him to be able to close that gap," Fleck said."

SI College football article already naming Brosmer potentially the 6th best QB in B1G. Kaliak they had a 16th.

"Garbers and Kaliakmnis have both made a handful of starts, but haven't shown anything worth writing home about, while M.J. 15,16 out of 18. Morris is an inexperienced transfer from NC State."

So Minn's clunker moved to RU and RU moved theirs to Kentucky. I can understand people wanting an upgrade at QB but RU just got a cast-off. I was reminded of a three stooges skit

So are you predicting a fail based on past results?

Perhaps with an improved OL and improved WR Corps and Athan being reunited with his original OC (instead of newbie, 1st time OC (co-OC), Athan will show improvement over last year. Likewise, maybe Gavin would have seen the save improvement had he stayed and won the starting job.

Reactions: RUScrew85

they never watched him as he never completed a long pass over the shoulder like we saw AK do in the spring game. c'mon.....

'Better at pushing the ball downfield showing some good touch and ball placement on throws up the seam and down the sideline'................on what planet was this guy watching Gav?

Reactions: WestOrangeCL
I guess we'll see next season...
I'm pretty neutral on the whole situation. A change was needed. Whether that change will result in an improved passing game and overall offense remains to be seen. One would think that with an improved WR corps, the passing game should improve, and the running game should be improved with Sam Brown back at full strength. But stranger things have happened.
As for GW, don't blame him for leaving. He has 2 years left to make his mark on college football. Time will tell if his leaving was good for him. But the prospect of sitting on the bench is never exciting for a player who was the starter.

Reactions: Dpgru
I'm pretty neutral on the whole situation. A change was needed. Whether that change will result in an improved passing game and overall offense remains to be seen. One would think that with an improved WR corps, the passing game should improve, and the running game should be improved with Sam Brown back at full strength. But stranger things have happened.
As for GW, don't blame him for leaving. He has 2 years left to make his mark on college football. Time will tell if his leaving was good for him. But the prospect of sitting on the bench is never exciting for a player who was the starter.
good post

So are you predicting a fail based on past results?

Perhaps with an improved OL and improved WR Corps and Athan being reunited with his original OC (instead of newbie, 1st time OC (co-OC), Athan will show improvement over last year. Likewise, maybe Gavin would have seen the save improvement had he stayed and won the starting job.

Could be true - I expected GW to be better with Dymere Miller and better OL long ball blocking.
This was supposed to be a "year of mastery" lol.

Fact is, comparing best seasons, Wimsatt was practically identical to Vedral (another Dual Threat recruit) for passing. Vedral had a few more clicks on accuracy (dump off passes to Pacheco and others can do that) but YDs/TDs/INTs practically same area. Wimsatt just added another 9 rushing TDs and more wins.

WVhJCkc.jpeg

“Completions come as a result of protection, correct routes and then throwing and catching the football,” head coach Greg Schiano said during his press conference on Monday. “So everybody contributes. But at the end of the day, it goes on whose record? The quarterback’s. He gets the completion percentage. The receivers don’t; the line doesn’t. At the end of the day, we need to be more accurate with the ball for sure. So we’re working on it. But like everything else, we are developing, and I’m sure he’s going to get better at it.”

What makes them idiot posters--questioning completion percentage and more INTs than TDs?
Nope. Bad question by you. You posted the thread go back and read it and figure it out.

Since they just signed him it should be easier for you to follow along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT