ADVERTISEMENT

Geoff Brown and Janine Purcaro Released from Duties in Athletic Department

Scoutnmayo,
Rutgers sent the information out on Twitter on August 26. Since I don't get twitter, I know I saw it somewhere else--maybe a flyer at a game.

I don't blame Brown for the merchandising issue but I do question if more outreach could be done to youth leagues.

Most here are exposed to RU constantly because we follow their various accounts on social media and get inundated with emails as season ticket holders, but what about the general public?

What exactly is RU doing to attempt to engage that much larger audience who doesn't follow any teams on Twitter or get emails from athletics?

Also,don't forget that all youth football players can get discount tickets for Youth Football Day and schools can get FREE tickets for their students Outstanding Students Days.

Our marketing of Rutgers overall as a brand in the state of NJ is weak. Being able to get people Twizzlers to throw may make him a good guy, but it doesn't mean he was doing a good job

This...what did Brown do to try and get students and other rutgers alums to games

Other than a march down the entire Jersey Shore boardwalk, town hall meetings with the basketball coaches, a picnic with the soccer teams, an outdoor wrestling match, food vouchers for early arriving students at football games, events for Riot Squad members, Rutgers nights with Trenton Thunder and Somerset Patriots, game day watch parties like the one for the UW game in the Yard? Nothing. Nothing at all.

What exactly does fully caught up mean? Do you understand that they have created accounts to circumvent the system in order to catch up on delinquent payments? It doesn't dismiss the fact that the system is flawed and a liability to the university on multiple levels, including the possibility of not being in compliance with A133 audit requirements. If Christie wasn't Govenor you would have had the office of inspector general so far up your @&$) he would know what you ate last year.

(1.) Suggest you review the presentation provided yesterday :
Treasurer’s Town Hall
J. Michael Gower
Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration
and University Treasurer
Busch Student Center
January 17, 2017
http://cornerstone.rutgers.edu/sites/fst/files/Treasurers Town Hall_20170117 - FINAL.pdf
http://cornerstone.rutgers.edu/sites/fst/files/Treasurers Town Hall_20170117 - FINAL.pdf
(2.) To be very clear - Just because a system is encountering hiccups and is having difficulty in completing certain transactions, it does not automatically mean that the audit trail is lost - that the transaction documentation is incomplete or has vanished. If you are familiar with accounting and with accounting / transactions systems, you know that it is entirely possible to create robust "work-arounds" to provide short term functionality. You would also know that when properly configured and documented, the "work-around" retains all necessary information to enable subsequent proper and verifiable reclassification of the components of the transaction. Furthermore, when properly configured and properly documented, a short term solution to a difficulty encountered in a system transition will represent no reason for critical findings during an audit.

(3.) You mention an "A133" audit as though it were some sort of ominous scary criminal investigation that is done when wrong doing is suspected - well it isn't - and
- might want some clarity as to what it really is -
The government passed the Single Audit Act of 1984 to ensure that those organizations receiving substantial federal funds use the funds in compliance with the federal government’s funding requirements. The Act refers to a “single audit” because one of the objectives of the law is to replace the need for the federal government to audit the same non-governmental organization multiple times. - OMB Circular A-133 governed the audit requirements under the Single Audit Act - thus the " A-133"
HOWEVER ....
In December of 2013, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) issued new guidance, the “Uniform Guidance.” This uniform guidance supersedes what had been previously contained in eight separate OMB Circulars. Prior to the issuance of the Uniform Guidance, OMB Circular A-133 governed the audit requirements under the Single Audit Act. Going forward - Subpart F of the Uniform Guidance supersedes Circular A-133, thus we now say goodbye to A-133 and hello to Subpart F.
https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/nonprofit-audit-guide/federal-law-audit-requirements

(4.) interesting question - why are you thinking that Chris Christie, Governor of the State of New Jersey is in anyway controlling whether or not the (Federal) Office of the Inspector General might or might not look into anything . You know that Federal enforcement offices tend to disregard outside requests to 'not investigate' things.

Rutgers Marketing would be helped a lot if News 12 and whats left of New Jersey Public TV would cover more Rutgers events (not just sports). Short of that, maybe there is some way that Rutgers University TV/R Vision could be put on all the cable systems around the whole state. As for Channel 9 and the other supposed New Jersey stations,they should have their licenses revoked. They spend close to ZERO time covering anything about the state---http://www.stationindex.com/tv/by-state/NJ

Reactions: rubigtimenow
(1.) Suggest you review the presentation provided yesterday :
Treasurer’s Town Hall
J. Michael Gower
Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration
and University Treasurer
Busch Student Center
January 17, 2017
(2.) To be very clear - Just because a system is encountering hiccups and is having difficulty in completing certain transactions, it does not automatically mean that the audit trail is lost - that the transaction documentation is incomplete or has vanished. If you are familiar with accounting and with accounting / transactions systems, you know that it is entirely possible to create robust "work-arounds" to provide short term functionality. You would also know that when properly configured and documented, the "work-around" retains all necessary information to enable subsequent proper and verifiable reclassification of the components of the transaction. Furthermore, when properly configured and properly documented, a short term solution to a difficulty encountered in a system transition will represent no reason for critical findings during an audit.

(3.) You mention an "A133" audit as though it were some sort of ominous scary criminal investigation that is done when wrong doing is suspected - well it isn't - and
- might want some clarity as to what it really is -
The government passed the Single Audit Act of 1984 to ensure that those organizations receiving substantial federal funds use the funds in compliance with the federal government’s funding requirements. The Act refers to a “single audit” because one of the objectives of the law is to replace the need for the federal government to audit the same non-governmental organization multiple times. - OMB Circular A-133 governed the audit requirements under the Single Audit Act - thus the " A-133"
HOWEVER ....
In December of 2013, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) issued new guidance, the “Uniform Guidance.” This uniform guidance supersedes what had been previously contained in eight separate OMB Circulars. Prior to the issuance of the Uniform Guidance, OMB Circular A-133 governed the audit requirements under the Single Audit Act. Going forward - Subpart F of the Uniform Guidance supersedes Circular A-133, thus we now say goodbye to A-133 and hello to Subpart F.
https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/nonprofit-audit-guide/federal-law-audit-requirements

(4.) interesting question - why are you thinking that Chris Christie, Governor of the State of New Jersey is in anyway controlling whether or not the (Federal) Office of the Inspector General might or might not look into anything . You know that Federal enforcement offices tend to disregard outside requests to 'not investigate' things.

Very thorough, but a waste of your time.

Mrs. Screw,
I don't golf,but there are a lot of Rutgers covers out there. Do you like any of them ? Or are you looking for something specific ?

Mrs. Screw,
I don't golf,but there are a lot of Rutgers covers out there. Do you like any of them ? Or are you looking for something specific ?

Looking for the Knight Head. Ant find it anywhere. The Rutgers golf pro can't either. They would love to carry it in the pro shop

Looking for the Knight Head. Ant find it anywhere. The Rutgers golf pro can't either. They would love to carry it in the pro shop
I wonder if that's because they were sunsetting that logo.

Flight doesn't arrive until the evening, but I'm hoping to get to a game the coming week before I head back down here.

You going?

Yeah, I got a pair of floor seats from the AD. Taking the wife, who hasn't been to a Rutgers game of any sort since probably '08. Was hoping you'd be there.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Other than a march down the entire Jersey Shore boardwalk, town hall meetings with the basketball coaches, a picnic with the soccer teams, an outdoor wrestling match, food vouchers for early arriving students at football games, events for Riot Squad members, Rutgers nights with Trenton Thunder and Somerset Patriots, game day watch parties like the one for the UW game in the Yard? Nothing. Nothing at all.

yet those things are not exactly working are they. I know the RU hoops teams are struggling but for years we have had horrible attendance even for the women when they were good despite having hundreds of thousands of alums. Most of the stuff being done is attracting the same fans we have, its about expanding the pool. Not sure that these events are actually successful at doing it...and yes its about winning but this school hasnt won for 25 years so you have to do something

The presentation at the RAC for hoops games is embarrassing and a turn off, taking all the college out of basketball and making it some minor league production with constant music playing and simba and selfie cams while the team is on an important run

yet those things are not exactly working are they. I know the RU hoops teams are struggling but for years we have had horrible attendance even for the women when they were good despite having hundreds of thousands of alums. Most of the stuff being done is attracting the same fans we have, its about expanding the pool. Not sure that these events are actually successful at doing it...and yes its about winning but this school hasnt won for 25 years so you have to do something

The presentation at the RAC for hoops games is embarrassing and a turn off, taking all the college out of basketball and making it some minor league production with constant music playing and simba and selfie cams while the team is on an important run

Can you explain to me what you expect their marketing staff to do? We NEED to win... You can't push on a string. Show me a school whose teams are as consistently bad as we are that regularly has good attendance figures?

I'll say it again; we need to win. Geoff Brown certainly wasn't fired because our basketball team that hasn't been to the tournament since 1991 isn't drawing 8,000 every game.

Can you explain to me what you expect their marketing staff to do? We NEED to win... You can't push on a string. Show me a school whose teams are as consistently bad as we are that regularly has good attendance figures?

I'll say it again; we need to win. Geoff Brown certainly wasn't fired because our basketball team that hasn't been to the tournament since 1991 isn't drawing 8,000 every game.

Seriously. If you're giving that much attention to the promos at TV timeouts, then maybe the problem isn't the promos. It's the product itself.

Maybe he was thinking of something to keep the crowd engaged while the teams traded bricks. We all know how short kids' attention spans are.

Amazing that I have read no less than 200 posts about how bad concessions are and then Hobbs gets rid of the guy responsible and everyone wants to know why??!!

Are we just overlooking the obvious?

Because you don't know that he is responsible for concessions being bad. He may be limited in what he can change by the contract with Sodexo. Or maybe not. But neither you nor most people on this board know.

Reactions: TRU2RU and RC1978
Seriously. If you're giving that much attention to the promos at TV timeouts, then maybe the problem isn't the promos. It's the product itself.

Maybe he was thinking of something to keep the crowd engaged while the teams traded bricks. We all know how short kids' attention spans are.

Your response makes no sense. The stuff that happens during TV timeouts has nothing to do with how the team is performing. The team is not on the court during timeouts because its a timeout.

But for the fans sitting in the RAC, you are still bombarded by the sight and sound of the promotions. And it is not like you can pay attention to the basketball game instead; it's a timeout. If the fans don't like the stuff that happens during the timeouts, and if it doesn't help keep them engaged with the program, then the problem is with what is presented during the timeouts. It has nothing to do with how the team performs. Because whether the team is 20-0 or 0-20, there are still going to be timeouts.

we cant control how horrific our sports teams have been, we can control what goes on during timeouts and other stuff. I dont know why he was fired but it could be a reason or part of an overall evaluation, if he was doing such a great job like y'all are saying then he wouldnt have been canned by Hobbs

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yeah, I got a pair of floor seats from the AD. Taking the wife, who hasn't been to a Rutgers game of any sort since probably '08. Was hoping you'd be there.
Shoot, man, I would love to have been there for this game and to hang with you for a bit. If I'd flown in Thursday I would've been there, but couldn't feasibly do it. I'm glad you get to see a game up close and personal, and it's nice that you're courtside with Mrs. 4Real. I like that we're playing the Skers since I'm kinda fond of HuskersAlways and their whole fanbase.

But of course, Go RU!

we cant control how horrific our sports teams have been, we can control what goes on during timeouts and other stuff. I dont know why he was fired but it could be a reason or part of an overall evaluation, if he was doing such a great job like y'all are saying then he wouldnt have been canned by Hobbs

Or there's another reason he was let go, perhaps?

Those of us under 35 probably don't mind what happens during timeouts. Or maybe we actually like having something to keep our attention while our team is down 15 and has scored 38 points midway through the second half.

That said, if there are "stupid" promotions you don't like, then go cheer for a school that is in better financial standing and doesn't need to be paid massive guarantees by media rights partners (IMG) for the right to sell those promotions. The marketing department simply executes them. We're not Michigan or USC or Texas which have the luxury of turning down guaranteed revenue so that they can avoid activating "dumb" sponsored promotions. This stuff happens everywhere not named Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. Hopefully some day we're in the same stratosphere as those schools, but we're not today. So, instead we have to earn media rights revenue to survive as an athletic department.

Again, that will happen when we FINALLY start winning. I have no doubt we will, and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

I'm sorry... I don't mean to "scream" and take this out on you, this thread is just laughably uninformed. Someone brought up concessions napkins... F'N CONCESSION NAPKINS! If you think the CMO of a D1 athletic department responsible for oversight over the units tasked with generating MILLIONS in ticket revenue has any interest/knowledge of the quantities of napkins at concessions stands you're crazy. Rather, he more than likely just manages the relationship with Sodexo, which has a contract with athletics.

I spent over 25 years in retail buying. I tired all the time to offer RU gear to the public. The problem is it just doesn't sell. Eventually the need to be profitable over took my desire to buy RU merchandise. Trust me, if stores could make a profit selling RU merchandise they would.
Go figure. People won't spend their hard earned cash on a random college they have absolutely no affiliation with.

If you sold scarlet gear with NEW JERSEY across it, with a smaller R or knight head, do you think you would have sold more than a handful?

Go figure. People won't spend their hard earned cash on a random college they have absolutely no affiliation with.

If you sold scarlet gear with NEW JERSEY across it, with a smaller R or knight head, do you think you would have sold more than a handful?
Or doesn't win.

Reactions: ManasquanMike

I do. More than half the people in my tailgate group do. (I guess technically I have an affiliation with Rutgers since my wife went there. But I was attending games before we got married.)

That said, if there are "stupid" promotions you don't like, then go cheer for a school that is in better financial standing and doesn't need to be paid massive guarantees by media rights partners (IMG) for the right to sell those promotions. The marketing department simply executes them. We're not Michigan or USC or Texas which have the luxury of turning down guaranteed revenue so that they can avoid activating "dumb" sponsored promotions. This stuff happens everywhere not named Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. Hopefully some day we're in the same stratosphere as those schools, but we're not today. So, instead we have to earn media rights revenue to survive as an athletic department.

I'm not sure how Rutgers earns money off the "Simba Cam" or other equally stupid time-out promos. Does Los Del Rio pay us to play The Macarena?

I have no knowledge of the role that these folks had within the department. I will only say that the most successful folks in any business -- particularly the service business -- care about everything even those small details that may seem beneath them.

Reactions: RUnTeX
We again are complicating the uncomplicated with all these assertions as to why these two individuals were fired. They probably were let go for a host of reasons (budgetary constraints, lack of effort and results, efficiency etc. etc.). But I would be willing to bet (with confidence) that politics played a part with the dismissal. With 11 months left in Christie's administration you will start seeing movement in top positions both at Rutgers and Trenton. Like it or not the new incoming Governor will have a certain degree of influence and say on how Rutgers is run. I know people here feel that the University is immune from Trenton due to our autonomy, but that is not reality, which is why I'm telling you that more of these events will take place during the next 11 months.

We again are complicating the uncomplicated with all these assertions as to why these two individuals were fired. They probably were let go for a host of reasons (budgetary constraints, lack of effort and results, efficiency etc. etc.). But I would be willing to bet (with confidence) that politics played a part with the dismissal. With 11 months left in Christie's administration you will start seeing movement in top positions both at Rutgers and Trenton. Like it or not the new incoming Governor will have a certain degree of influence and say on how Rutgers is run. I know people here feel that the University is immune from Trenton due to our autonomy, but that is not reality, which is why I'm telling you that more of these events will take place during the next 11 months.

Stop with the politics. This is not the case w/ regard to Geoff Brown.

Again, you can't expand on that or you don't want to expand on that?

No one is pulling strings in Trenton to fire our current CMO like that PSU fan/billing software liaison RUtrap would have you believe.

No one is pulling strings in Trenton to fire our current CMO like that PSU fan/billing software liaison RUtrap would have you believe.
So do you know what the real reason is for either dismissal? That's what I'm asking.

And I think most are not even listening to him on that other thing.

CMO of the athletic department. My guess is that Hobbs wants to bring in his own people. It happens everywhere.

HUH???
"With 11 months left in Christie's administration you will start seeing movement in top positions both at Rutgers and Trenton."
- well maybe in the sense that there will be a stream of Chistie appointees who will be seeking positions that will offer future employment.... but ... there will be close to zero 'force-fitting' of some Christie cronies into any positions over the next 11months - Have you followed the news? Christie is a lame duck with plummeting clout - jeeze, he is now at a point that if he pushes something unpopular, he becomes a pinata - getting whacked on all sides - - plus Christie is focused elsewhere.

Reactions: RU31trap
HUH???
"With 11 months left in Christie's administration you will start seeing movement in top positions both at Rutgers and Trenton."
- well maybe in the sense that there will be a stream of Chistie appointees who will be seeking positions that will offer future employment.... but ... there will be close to zero 'force-fitting' of some Christie cronies into any positions over the next 11months - Have you followed the news? Christie is a lame duck with plummeting clout - jeeze, he is now at a point that if he pushes something unpopular, he becomes a pinata - getting whacked on all sides - - plus Christie is focused elsewhere.
Nice post Rumba. I enjoyed the humor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT