ADVERTISEMENT

GT in the Pinstripe

Clemson-RU would really be interesting. On paper, they are in a different class. But they would likely be so disinterested and have so many guys skipping the game to prep for the draft, that RU could pull off the stunner.

Georgia Tech would whip Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Nebraska, MSU, etc…
I don’t buy the ACC is that bad,
Nebraska late season is a better team as is Illinois. Agree with you overall, people are pushing a narrative that they can't defend the run but their opponents are more pass oriented. GT, if they face us, will absolutely focus on run D and dare us to pass.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Clemson-RU would really be interesting. On paper, they are in a different class. But they would likely be so disinterested and have so many guys skipping the game to prep for the draft, that RU could pull off the stunner.
They have an elite defense.
But as you say, these minor bowls may end up being the schools in name only, they may be playing with a dozen or more opt-outs

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
..as are we..from when we played them. That score could easily be reversed.
VT would beat us right now going away. This will be a difficult game early next season at Blacksburg unless we find a QB.

You can be assured, even without our best linebacker.
Several weeks off and the ability to re- charge the battery will result in a very formidable defense against Georgia Tech.
Our only chance like every other game we won is if Kyle (the best back in the league) goes off.
If GT stops the run we have zero chance, we don’t have the ability to throw to set up the run like a bad Iowa offense did to us
I would think Powell might be ready ? Went out on 10/21 .. that will be 9 weeks for the hand to heal.

Reactions: zappaa
Syracuse would be best as far as RU chances of winning the bowl game. VA Tech is improved since we played them, don’t see how a regular season matchup happens again in a bowl game. BC locked into Fenway much like we are locked into the Pinstripe. Most realistic and best matchup to get a win is Syracuse. Have to admit, it’s a boring matchup though. GA Tech, Miami, or Clemson much more interesting but don’t see wins coming in those games.

The only teams on that list that Rutgers would have a chance of beating with the current state of our QB play is BC and Syracuse and both of those matchups would be gross.

Nebraska late season is a better team as is Illinois. Agree with you overall, people are pushing a narrative that they can't defend the run but their opponents are more pass oriented. GT, if they face us, will absolutely focus on run D and dare us to pass.
Yet they showed no ability to stop anyone from running on them. They weren't anything to write home about defending the pass either, coming in at #73 in passing efficiency defense. 211 YPG.

Georgia Tech LOST to Boston College and Bowling Green. Stop it. Please.
I’ll stop nothing, You wouldn’t want to play Bowling Green, I don’t care what ridiculous stats you bring up.
Georgia would beat us by 50 if we played them the last game of the season and GT would whip the sorry ass bottom half of the Big Ten.
We wouldn’t want to go anywhere near Toledo either

Reactions: CrankyMonkey
All of these teams are in play:
- Syracuse 6-6 (not sure if ACC has a rule about no consecutive years) - unlikely
- Boston College 6-6 (probably ending up in the Fenway Bowl) - unlikely
- Clemson 8-4 (probably getting into a better bowl despite off year) - unlikely
- Georgia tech 6-6 (right record, no compelling reason to go to a different bowl) - likely
- Duke 7-5 (probably getting into a better bowl but maybe not) - decent possibility
- Miami 7-5 (nobody is talking about sending them north) - unlikely
- UNC 8-4 (probably getting into a bowl more local to them) - unlikely
- VT 6-6 (they won't replay a game from the regular season) - unlikely

While you'd have to consider GT the favorite, there are potentially 7 alternatives. So maybe wait until next Monday to continue this discussion.
I would guess:

Clemson/Duke/UNC/Miami - Reliaquest (takes B1G spot), Gator, Sun and Holiday in some order
'Cuse - NOT going Pinstripe for 2nd straight year and 4th time total
BC - Fenway
VT - Mayo ??? (Charlotte)

Reactions: LeapinLou
I’ll stop nothing, You wouldn’t want to play Bowling Green, I don’t care what ridiculous stats you bring up.
Georgia would beat us by 50 if we played them the last game of the season and GT would whip the sorry ass bottom half of the Big Ten
Okay Zap. Whatever. Bowling Green lol. Gotcha. 7-5 overall (5-3 in THE MAC). 91st in Sagarin.

GT - couldn't "whip" the bottom half of the ACC yet YOU think they'd "whip" the bottom half ot he B1G? BULLSHIT.

Okay Zap. Whatever. Bowling Green lol. Gotcha. 7-5 overall (5-3 in THE MAC). 91st in Sagarin.

GT - couldn't "whip" the bottom half of the ACC yet YOU think they'd "whip" the bottom half ot he B1G? BULLSHIT.
The B1G is awful outside of 3 teams and an Iowa team that won’t beat anyone any good.
Sagarin LMAO

Reactions: ashokan
The B1G is awful outside of 3 teams and an Iowa team that won’t beat anyone any good.
Sagarin LMAO
Zap...you think Bowling Green would beat us....I remember when people were scared of playing Ball St in The International Bowl. Then we whipped them. We'd do the same to Bowling Green.

I'm not saying GT is a bad team. Not saying they couldn't beat us, either, BUT YOU are seriously giving them too much credit right now. Look at their entire resume NOT just Saturday's game. One of the biggest rivalries in the nation. Throw it out the window.

You "laugh" at Sagarin...probably the best ranking system out there for gamblers...or at lest one of...for a reason.

Zap...you think Bowling Green would beat us....I remember when people were scared of playing Ball St in The International Bowl. Then we whipped them. We'd do the same to Bowling Green.

I'm not saying GT is a bad team. Not saying they couldn't beat us, either, BUT YOU are seriously giving them too much credit right now. Look at their entire resume NOT just Saturday's game. One of the biggest rivalries in the nation. Throw it out the window.

You "laugh" at Sagarin...probably the best ranking system out there for gamblers...or at lest one of...for a reason.
No one was afraid of Ball St.
We had friggen 12 NFL players on the field

Reactions: ashokan
No one was afraid of Ball St.
We had friggen 12 NFL players on the field
Oh YES there were people here 100% thinking we would have trouble with them. No question whatsoever I remember it clear as day (the long term memory is still good, I promise...). We'd steamroll Bowling Green. 31-7 type of game.

Nuts, I was one of the first posters in this thread saying 4 weeks off for our defense and we can play with anyone.
It’s all the BS I’m opposed to….and I stand by we could absolutely 100% lose to Bowling Green

Oh YES there were people here 100% thinking we would have trouble with them. No question whatsoever I remember it clear as day (the long term memory is still good, I promise...). We'd steamroll Bowling Green. 31-7 type of game.
A half dozen out of thousands

Nuts, I was one of the first posters in this thread saying 4 weeks off for our defense and we can play with anyone.
It’s all the BS I’m opposed to….and I stand by we could absolutely 100% lose to Bowling Green
We "could," of course, but not the least bit likely. And, yes, you were I gotcha there!

All of these teams are in play:
- Syracuse 6-6 (not sure if ACC has a rule about no consecutive years) - unlikely
- Boston College 6-6 (probably ending up in the Fenway Bowl) - unlikely
- Clemson 8-4 (probably getting into a better bowl despite off year) - unlikely
- Georgia tech 6-6 (right record, no compelling reason to go to a different bowl) - likely
- Duke 7-5 (probably getting into a better bowl but maybe not) - decent possibility
- Miami 7-5 (nobody is talking about sending them north) - unlikely
- UNC 8-4 (probably getting into a bowl more local to them) - unlikely
- VT 6-6 (they won't replay a game from the regular season) - unlikely

While you'd have to consider GT the favorite, there are potentially 7 alternatives. So maybe wait until next Monday to continue this discussion.
LOL. You left out NC State (9-3/6-2). Finished 3rd in the conference. 🤨

I often say bowl season is almost like another season because of the long layoff. Now add in players sitting out and portal and it’s really a different season. I’m not sure how much you can read from the regular into bowl season for most teams.
Perfect example of what I'm saying. I wouldn't read much from the season into the bowl games. It's just another game but not so related to the regular season because of so many possible changes on both teams in a game.

They also lost the Boston College and Bowling Green, but you seem to not give two shits about that. They also have the single worst rushing defense in all of P5 ranked 128 out of 130 in the nation. 120th nation overall total defense. But, according to you, those things don’t matt
My bad Rutgers will blow them out. What was I thinking. And did you not read the part about if RU plays like they did against Md. You think this team can beat anyone if they play like that?

Reactions: CrankyMonkey
NJ.com is reporting that most likely opponents for the Pinstripe are GT, Miami, and BC.

Man, I would love for it to be Miami.

- Like Clemson, I think they would have more than a few guys sit the game out.
- Mario Christobal coaching against RU is a good story
- Fair to say a lot of those guys won't like playing in cold weather
- Chance for payback after all those butt whoopings in the 90s
- If we win it looks great. If we lose, perception not that bad.

Reactions: rutgersal
You can be assured, even without our best linebacker.
Several weeks off and the ability to re- charge the battery will result in a very formidable defense against Georgia Tech.
Our only chance like every other game we won is if Kyle (the best back in the league) goes off.
If GT stops the run we have zero chance, we don’t have the ability to throw to set up the run like a bad Iowa offense did to us
You can throw in Yankee Stadium? Thought there was only enough room for ground outs and bunts.

GO RU

They also lost the Boston College and Bowling Green, but you seem to not give two shits about that. They also have the single worst rushing defense in all of P5 ranked 128 out of 130 in the nation. 120th nation overall total defense. But, according to you, those things don’t matter
BCU is going to a bowl game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT