ADVERTISEMENT

Guarding the 3

RutgersJoe

Senior
Mar 9, 2012
Ok I'm not a big X's and O's guy so someone explain this to me. The announcers, writers, and just about everyone on this board have proclaimed in frustration how badly Rutgers defends the 3, yet they continue to give up wide open 3 point shot after shot, and to teams like Michigan where you KNOW that the 3 is their whole game plan. How has the team not figured this out yet?? Or have they, and are just incapable of making it happen for whatever reason? Am I missing something?

No, we are just that bad.

How to beat us:

A: Shoot the 3.
B: shut down Mack.

I am pretty sure we have the worst 3-point defense in the league.

Teams like Michigan use screens on just about every play to free up 3 pt shooters. Mike Rice had defenders switch on every screen. Jordan wants guys to fight thru screens and stay with their man. RU doesn't do that well. Its as simple as that.

Originally posted by MGSA99:
No, we are just that bad.

How to beat us:

A: Shoot the 3.
B: shut down Mack.

I am pretty sure we have the worst 3-point defense in the league.

Actually it’s not even close:

1. Michigan State 17 103 318 .324

2. Purdue 17 91 276 .330

3. Ohio State 17 109 330 .330

4. Illinois 17 107 323 .331

5. Iowa 17 119 359 .331

6. Michigan 17 110 323 .341

7. Maryland 17 118 345 .342

8. Rutgers 17 123 357 .345

9. Indiana 17 103 298 .346

10. Penn State 17 104 298 .349

11. Nebraska 17 120 328 .366

12. Wisconsin 17 85 230 .370

13. Minnesota 17 135 349 .387

14. Northwestern 17 148 377 .393

This is actually one of the least disastrous stats on the year. Rebounding is the only respectable stat, but on a bad rebounding day everyone says we are the worst rebounding team. RU fans always see what we did wrong the last game and assume that has been the issue all year and that the answer is simple.

This post was edited on 3/7 6:19 PM by 80RU

This post was edited on 3/7 6:20 PM by 80RU

This post was edited on 3/7 6:20 PM by 80RU

Go read Eddie's post game quotes about how his players don't understand the concept of help on defense. Classic. Too bad he isn't permitted to coach these kids or let them practice defense. Just not enough time. Aw, that's what you get for only recruiting premed majors.

And he costs less than $1.2 mill? A bargain.

Hysterical. If only there was someone that could work with the kids before and durng the season to give them a plan to defend the other team.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Defend the 3 by giving no help defense. Instead of collapsing to man when tour team mate gets brat stay with your man and overprotect the shooters

Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:
Go read Eddie's post game quotes about how his players don't understand the concept of help on defense. Classic. Too bad he isn't permitted to coach these kids or let them practice defense. Just not enough time. Aw, that's what you get for only recruiting premed majors.

Apparently they are unable to practice defense(or offense) in the RAC. This will change when the new practice facility is built.

Originally posted by WJLeggett:
Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:

Apparently they are unable to practice defense(or offense) in the RAC. This will change when the new practice facility is built.
I was at the RAC yesterday for the gymnastics meet. I saw the basketball players arrive from their game. They couldn't even get to their locker room because the meet was going on so they stood around and watched for about an hour. I hope none of them wanted to get treatment or watch film.

But yes, facilities and their overall infrastructure isn't a problem, right?

Of course facilities are an issue. They are not the issue with EJ trying to teach his player to play proper defense. The best practice facility in the nation would not solve most of the fundamental problems this team has.

From a Washington Post article, dated 10/04/09:

With the exception of one season, the Wizards have ranked in the bottom third of the NBA in points allowed and field goal percentage defense since Eddie Jordan's first took over in the 2003-04 season. Each training camp, the common refrain was that the team was going to get better defensively, but each season, the Wizards continued to try to have success by outscoring their opponents. The final result was one playoff series win in four postseason appearances.

The defensive deficiencies reached their nadir last season, when the Wizards finished 24th in points allowed (103.5 points) and 29th in field goal percentage defense (48.2) under Jordan and later Ed Tapscott. "In previous years, defense wasn't stressed," center Brendan Haywood said. "If you could score, you played. And now it's a little bit different. Now it's, 'What can you do on both sides of the ball?' Because you have to realize that offense isn't the only side of the basketball."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT