ADVERTISEMENT

How Hard is it to Pick up Arriving Passengers at Newark Airport?

dconifer

All Conference
Oct 4, 2004
(Newark International Airport, to be specific, couldn't edit the title)

Once I get to the cell phone lot on Basilone Road, will there be signs directing me to the various terminals for pickup?

Thanks in advance!

It really can't get any easier. Now, getting back to the highway of your choice, leaving, that can always be a lot of fun!

LOL, I figure at least by then I'll have a bigger target -- South Jersey.

Am I right, go to the cell phone lot and follow the signs? Much appreciated...

LOL, I figure at least by then I'll have a bigger target -- South Jersey.

Am I right, go to the cell phone lot and follow the signs? Much appreciated...

I didn't even realize there was a cell phone "lot" because of where I come from to pick people up (Hoboken). Essentially I can get a call the second cell usage is allowed, upon landing, and I'm pulling up to the curb to grab someone as they walk out the door. I can make it to Terminal C, typically, in less than 20 minutes. I've done it in 14 but that was maybe 10AM with zero traffic. Sorry I can't help with that buddy!

Thanks, people. I think I'm good then. I know how to get to the cell lot...

If coming from the NJ Turnpike and given unpredictable baggage claim/customs time duration, I prefer waiting on the right shoulder immediately after the toll plaza.

Once getting the call, you can fork right toward Newark airport (big brown sign that can't be missed) and be at the terminals in 3-5 minutes. Beware of heavy traffic into the arrivals area during peak travel periods, however; if in a hurry I'll ask my family/friends to walk upstairs to the departure area and meet there.

I didn't realize there was a cell phone lot either. Most times we use the approach that Nuts mentioned since I only live about 20 minutes from the airport depending on traffic. For people coming from longer distance a cell phone lot is a nice to have. I have used the one in Fort Myers on several occasions.

If I get lost, it looks like I can just drive around in circles on that express road, waiting for divine intervention...

Reactions: RutgHoops
Edited the title for you.

Very easy to pick up as long as you know which terminal (A, B or C) - all are well marked, and the Arriving/Departing sections/entry ways are also well marked. Just be aware that usually there's a ton of vehicles there if it's a busy time of day.

Reactions: dconifer
If you're reasonably capable of navigation and following signage, you'll have no issue. If worst comes to worst, you can just circle the terminals for awhile.

If you have a smartphone, using Waze on your phone will get you from wherever you happen to be (e.g. cell phone lot) to the terminal you need to get to and then back to wherever you want to go. It's easy.

Reactions: RUTaxEsq
It's not hard to get there. Signs everywhere and you will be able to figure it out. Depending on the time of day The issue is the amount of cars in a tight area and people all over the place. It's not the best setup. You merge as you get to the pick up area. Need to cross lanes to get to the curb and some drivers aren't very friendly. Cops can bust balls also it you are at the curb for a while waiting. Keep in mind Newark has the slowest baggage claim.

A couple of tricks I use to pick people up at the airport. If I get there early, sometimes I'll park on the shoulder of Route 78 east near the Route 21 exit for downtown Newark, but other times I'll go to the longterm lots, just past lot 36, and on the right is a building with lots of parking and nobody hassles you to move along. Then I'lll wait for the text and leave from there.

Also, at night, if the arriving-flights drive-up areas are packed at the terminals, I'll pick my friends/family up at the departing flights, since at night there are fewer flights departing than arriving. The cops don't hassle you nearly as much in the departing flights at night as they do in the arriving flights areas. I've waited over 20 minutes in the departing flights areas at night without being bothered at times when the lower levels of the arriving flights were a zoo.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Leaving the airport can be tricky but the road forks into different sets of highways. If there is a bunch of traffic it can sometime be difficult to merge but other than that it isn't too bad.

(Newark International Airport, to be specific, couldn't edit the title)

Once I get to the cell phone lot on Basilone Road, will there be signs directing me to the various terminals for pickup?

Thanks in advance!
Depends. Is it a stranger - because they might be a little reticent to get into your windowless van.

Reactions: dconifer
I didn't realize there was a cell phone lot either. Most times we use the approach that Nuts mentioned since I only live about 20 minutes from the airport depending on traffic. For people coming from longer distance a cell phone lot is a nice to have. I have used the one in Fort Myers on several occasions.

Love flying into and out of RSW in Fort Myers.
Now that they have the 7-11 there to top off the gas in the rental car for return, it's even better.

As an airport, it's pretty good. As far as planes arriving/departing on time, though, that's a different story. Newark to Chicago? Make sure you have plenty to do while you wait.

Agreed, EWR's on-time performance is notoriously poor.

Among commercial airports, in general, on-time performance is very formulaic. Newark has a lot of math working against it.

they better be ready when you arrive at the terminal or the PAPD will make you loop around. I find it easier to have them take the monorail to Lot P4 and pick them up there

The new Cell Phone lot makes pick up at Newark much much easier. The Cell Phone lot is located past P3 (towards the AB Brewery). There are signs to follow, take a look for arrows towards P1 (rental car lot) and follow from there.

If guests only have carry ons, I will have them either call/text when they have de-planed and are walking in the Terminal. I believe that Terminal A & B have two levels and Terminal C has three.

Curbside pick up at Terminal A/B is pretty easy. I agree with the earlier tip that if your guests do not have baggage, have them go directly out at the Level 2 "departure" level. This will be the same level as the Terminal floor (do not go down any escalators).

Terminal C has an Upper departure level (Premier), a middle departure level, and a lower arrival level. The C terminal takes the longest time to get to and has some brutal pedestrian traffic lights that cars will queue up behind, especially in the right most lane. If you have to pick someone up at Terminal C with carry on bags, have them meet you at level 2. If they need to get bags, I would have them call when they have their bags or wait until the bags are coming down the carousel before departing the cell phone lot. Terminal C can take upwards of 30-40 minutes at times to off load luggage. And the cops heavily patrol any cars "parked and waiting"...

It's not hard picking up "arriving passengers". In fact it can be quite pleasurable...

street-walker.jpg

Last edited:
It's easy, keep tabs on the flights arrival, get there 10 minutes later for domestic, 30 - 45 minutes later for international to allow for customs. Follow signs, if at terminal B call on cell phone and ask what level they are at.

You people rule, thanks! Last week I dropped them at JFK and it was surprisingly easy. Maybe this won't be so bad, either. I'll have my block R on the back of the truck, I'm sure everybody will bending over backwards to assist me!

Go to Spirito's in Elizabeth. Have the person call you when the plane lands. Order a pizza. When the pie is ready, drive to pick up spot.

There are too many cops at the terminal these days and they don't let you wait. They are some of the nastiest cops in the world.
I have not been to Newark after the Brussel bombing so I don't know if it has gotten worse.

Thanks, all. It went smooth. As reported, everything is well-labeled.

As was also predicted, I didn't end up quite where I wanted on the way out, finding my self on route 9 N instead of route 9 S. But both ways led to the turnpike, so no biggle...

Go Scarlet Knights...

Went last night. Flight was an hour late. Still- easy just have to circle around bc the cops were only giving about 5 minutes to wait by curb, prob bc of Brussels.

Thanks, all. It went smooth. As reported, everything is well-labeled.

As was also predicted, I didn't end up quite where I wanted on the way out, finding my self on route 9 N instead of route 9 S. But both ways led to the turnpike, so no biggle...

Go Scarlet Knights...
Glad to hear it went well. One of the things I love about this board is the wealth of diverse knowledge available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT