ADVERTISEMENT

How Hard is it to Pick up Arriving Passengers at Newark Airport?

Okay, folks, I'm seven years older and have to do this again. Am I going to struggle to find the cell phone lot and Terminal B tomorrow, to pick up a passenger at Newark? I will be coming from the Turnpike.

I wish she'd flown into Philadelphia, I know that airport pretty well.

All the directions I found are great -- for somebody who already knows how to do it.

Any tips?

Reactions: RutgHoops
Okay, folks, I'm seven years older and have to do this again. Am I going to struggle to find the cell phone lot and Terminal B tomorrow, to pick up a passenger at Newark? I will be coming from the Turnpike.

All the directions I found are great -- for somebody who already knows how to do it.

Any tips?
Picking up in the car is a hassle imo. You can park in b short term for 30 minutes free. Over 30 and less than an hour I think is $5. If you get there real early and want to avoid parking fees the cell phone lot is not hard to find but it is a little bit of a pain getting back to the terminal imo. So I would just head to the terminal and veer left (watch for b parking). That will be short term. Park and go in and meet them after security before they go outside. Follow their flight progress on the app. If they are back of the plan allow close 20-30 minutes for them to get out and past security. If they have bags just meet them at baggage claim. Walk to car and leave.

• Love
Reactions: dconifer
Picking up in the car is a hassle imo. You can park in b short term for 30 minutes free. Over 30 and less than an hour I think is $5. If you get there real early and want to avoid parking fees the cell phone lot is not hard to find but it is a little bit of a pain getting back to the terminal imo. So I would just head to the terminal and veer left (watch for b parking). That will be short term. Park and go in and meet them after security before they go outside. Follow their flight progress on the app. If they are back of the plan allow close 20-30 minutes for them to get out and past security. If they have bags just meet them at baggage claim. Walk to car and leave.
Ah, so there is parking for terminal B specifically? I will probably just do that...

Thank you, Bethlehem. I am a born worrier...

Any tips?
Its super easy. Just follow the signs for the cell phone lot. When they get their bags, exit and pick them up.

Trust me, a chimp can do it.

Is she somewhat mobile with little luggage? If so ask her to walk upstairs(escalators) and pick her up where folks are being dropped off for departing flights. Follow the DEPARTURE signs. Up there you can linger a bit longer to wait for her.

Stop your worrying...the cell phone lot is very easy to find. Just follow the signs. There are even port-o-potties if u need. As othets have said, have your folks go to the departures level and call you with the door number they are outside of. Easy peasy....

A couple of tricks I use to pick people up at the airport. If I get there early, sometimes I'll park on the shoulder of Route 78 east near the Route 21 exit for downtown Newark, but other times I'll go to the longterm lots, just past lot 36, and on the right is a building with lots of parking and nobody hassles you to move along. Then I'lll wait for the text and leave from there.

Also, at night, if the arriving-flights drive-up areas are packed at the terminals, I'll pick my friends/family up at the departing flights, since at night there are fewer flights departing than arriving. The cops don't hassle you nearly as much in the departing flights at night as they do in the arriving flights areas. I've waited over 20 minutes in the departing flights areas at night without being bothered at times when the lower levels of the arriving flights were a zoo.
I’ll add to this… my dad worked for an airline and flew frequently, and often out of EWR. We always did the pick up at departures. Simple and very useful trick.

A couple of tricks I use to pick people up at the airport. If I get there early, sometimes I'll park on the shoulder of Route 78 east near the Route 21 exit for downtown Newark, but other times I'll go to the longterm lots, just past lot 36, and on the right is a building with lots of parking and nobody hassles you to move along. Then I'lll wait for the text and leave from there.

Also, at night, if the arriving-flights drive-up areas are packed at the terminals, I'll pick my friends/family up at the departing flights, since at night there are fewer flights departing than arriving. The cops don't hassle you nearly as much in the departing flights at night as they do in the arriving flights areas. I've waited over 20 minutes in the departing flights areas at night without being bothered at times when the lower levels of the arriving flights were a zoo.
Agree with departing level advice. It can be an easier pick up because generally less traffic.

(Newark International Airport, to be specific, couldn't edit the title)

Once I get to the cell phone lot on Basilone Road, will there be signs directing me to the various terminals for pickup?

Thanks in advance!
There is a 7/11 which has parking which is an alternative place to wait for a call to the cell phone lot. Benefit is that there are bathroom
(Newark International Airport, to be specific, couldn't edit the title)

Once I get to the cell phone lot on Basilone Road, will there be signs directing me to the various terminals for pickup?

Thanks in advance!
Another choice to wait is the 7-11 which has parking, bathrooms and drinks or snacks. 5 minutes , following the signs to the terminals

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
There is a 7/11 which has parking which is an alternative place to wait for a call to the cell phone lot. Benefit is that there are bathroom

Another choice to wait is the 7-11 which has parking, bathrooms and drinks or snacks. 5 minutes , following the signs to the terminals
Was about to post this myself. Departure for pick ups is also not a bad idea.

Thanks for all the great advice, friends. I ended up just driving to the short-term lot outside Terminal B, parking, and walking in. Super easy. It's a nice airport...

I'm sure I will screw it up. But I'll post about it...
Funny story, when we were coming back from a job in Jersey City. Right by Newark Airport suddenly right behind my two dump trucks and I mean right behind there's no one else between us and 5 or 6 police cars lining up across all lanes, lights flashing and slowing down traffic. Here I am going nuts thinking something on the dump trucks must not be closed and we're dropping tools down the highway causing them to close the road. We can't see anything so proceed home.

My other dump truck driven by old timer Frank carrying my other three masons freaks out thinking he's got to get off the road. Next thing you know (heard the story when they got home) the 3 of them were driving around the airport for half an hour with no idea how to get out.

The highway closer, President Busch was flying in or out of Newark and they were stopping traffic for the motorcade.

If coming from the NJ Turnpike and given unpredictable baggage claim/customs time duration, I prefer waiting on the right shoulder immediately after the toll plaza.

Once getting the call, you can fork right toward Newark airport (big brown sign that can't be missed) and be at the terminals in 3-5 minutes. Beware of heavy traffic into the arrivals area during peak travel periods, however; if in a hurry I'll ask my family/friends to walk upstairs to the departure area and meet there.
Oh! You are one of those assholes.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Some missing of points.

First, I'm aware of how MVI works. I'm also aware of how it used to work.

My point is that shitty old cars should be subject to the inspections that they were subject to when they were shitty new cars. Check the lights, check the brakes, ensure that any and all modifications conform to the letter of the law - e.g. anyone driving around in a truck that's raised 3 feet, has wheels that are nowhere inside the wheel wells and no exhaust system should experience 1) confiscation, 2) incarceration and 3) eventual execution (upon exhaustion of all appeals, of course).

The point should NOT be to enable / encourage shitty old cars on our roads. It should be to make it so difficult to keep them that people give up trying.

The new cars of my youth sucked ass. The new cars of my father's youth were even worse. Speak not to me of "the glorious muscle cars of yore", for they sucked ass equal in quantity to their non-muscular brethren - they simply did it at much greater volume. They were, by today's standards, slow, uncomfortable, inefficient and unsafe. They should be purged.

Oh! You are one of those assholes.
Go pound sand, and feel free to stop in the middle of the highway after the toll plaza to tell all the idling drivers safely within the shoulder how you really feel. Would people prefer that we park curbside at the terminal and sit there until my passengers navigate out of the airport, waiting for the PA poilce to walk by and kick us out? There was actually a lot of traffic into the terminal's DEPARTURES level yesterday afternoon (which is unusual), because half of the curb space was taken up by idling parked vehicles while cars actually dropping people off had to double- and triple-park.

• Haha
Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Go pound sand, and feel free to stop in the middle of the highway after the toll plaza to tell all the idling drivers safely within the shoulder how you really feel. Would people prefer that we park curbside at the terminal and sit there until my passengers navigate out of the airport, waiting for the PA poilce to walk by and kick us out? There was actually a lot of traffic into the terminal's DEPARTURES level yesterday afternoon (which is unusual), because half of the curb space was taken up by idling parked vehicles while cars actually dropping people off had to double- and triple-park.

I'm not sure I understand why I was quoted in your response.

Do you know what they look like? Carry a sign with their name and dress professionally. Make sure the vehicle is clean.

I'm not sure I understand why I was quoted in your response.
My guess? He had started to reply to you back in July when you posted. But then never sent the response. The way the forum software retains unposted responses can lead to it hanging around until the next time we post in the same thread, and if not paying attention, show up in a new response.

If that wasn’t it, then yeah, it seemed pretty non-sequitur with respect to your post.

Although, now that I think about it, I don’t really understand why “pounding sand” is such a bad thing. I could research the origins of the phrase, but it;s more fun not to know in this case, I think. 😀

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT