ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley was canned here

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Remember he was on bannon’s staff and remained on staff until waters was hired. Hurley would have stayed, but it was Waters that dismissed him. Not sure who the coach was that waters chose instead , probably some midwestern guy. Larry disemplare did give some good radio interviews

Credit to Hurley, who went back to the hs ranks as a school teacher/coach. He certainly worked his way up at st Benedict’s and Wagner.

Just a few years later Waters (and mulchahy) added Fred hill jr to the coaching staff . Horray

At the time, I think people were excited for the pedigree. We were his first collegiate job, he had had success at Seton Hall, his dad was a well-known coach in the state, his brother was playing for the Sacramento Kings... He was an exciting get as an assistant.

But Bannon's tenure ended in scandal, and Waters was brought into be a more respectable presence. Hard to justify keeping an assistant around that was there for the strip free throws.

At the time, I think people were excited for the pedigree. We were his first collegiate job, he had had success at Seton Hall, his dad was a well-known coach in the state, his brother was playing for the Sacramento Kings... He was an exciting get as an assistant.

But Bannon's tenure ended in scandal, and Waters was brought into be a more respectable presence. Hard to justify keeping an assistant around that was there for the strip free throws.
Fair point . I think it was more though waters wanted to bring in his own guys . Like I said , disemplare did good radio interviews.

The funny thing during the those years, a harmless joke around the program was Hurley wanted to be Kevin Bannon . He kinda was his lackey. Interesting how things turned out.

Fair point . I think it was more though waters wanted to bring in his own guys . Like I said , disemplare did good radio interviews.

The funny thing during the those years, a harmless joke around the program was Hurley wanted to be Kevin Bannon . He kinda was his lackey. Interesting how things turned out.
Yeah, Waters had no connection at all to Hurley, and it would have essentially needed to be Mulcahy telling him that Hurley *had* to be kept on.... Which just wasn't going to happen after the way things with Bannon ended.

Of course, Waters had basically no NJ connections, and he was later pushed to hire FHJ.

Remember he was on bannon’s staff and remained on staff until waters was hired. Hurley would have stayed, but it was Waters that dismissed him. Not sure who the coach was that waters chose instead , probably some midwestern guy. Larry disemplare did give some good radio interviews

Credit to Hurley, who went back to the hs ranks as a school teacher/coach. He certainly worked his way up at st Benedict’s and Wagner.

Just a few years later Waters (and mulchahy) added Fred hill jr to the coaching staff . Horray
Do you still send him Happy Birthday cards?

One of Waters assistant coaches went to a summer high school clinic in North Jersey and asked who is this Hurley guy referring to the Hall Of Fame high school coach at St.Anthony?Fans kept asking why Rutgers didn't get top recruits from the power house parochial schools.

• Wow
Reactions: 4IUSox2 and redking
I came on this thread ready to bash you based on the subject line. But it's all very reasonable commentary.

My biggest memory of Larry DeSemplare is I ran into him in the yellow lot after a very hot afternoon of Rutgers football. He asked me if I had any bottled water, lol.

One of Waters assistant coaches went to a summer high school clinic in North Jersey and asked who is this Hurley guy referring to the Hall Of Fame high school coach at St.Anthony?Fans kept asking why Rutgers didn't get top recruits from the power house parochial schools.
I think it was Kevin Heck earning him the nickname "Coach Hell" on the Grease Truck board, I believe.

I came on this thread ready to bash you based on the subject line. But it's all very reasonable commentary.

My biggest memory of Larry DeSemplare is I ran into him in the yellow lot after a very hot afternoon of Rutgers football. He asked me if I had any bottled water, lol.
Always reasonable !

This is not true. No one around the program said that. Kowalcyzk was Bannon’s lackey. Danny was very much his own man - even back then at 24-25 years old.

It is a secret gift that Rutgers has.

(some of you may recall Waters stating that there was a "secret" for his success)

Last edited:
Did Hurley successfully recruit anybody during that time frame?
Asking for a friend?

Maybe we should have given Hurley that 10-year contract? Just a thought. :)

I saw an unnamed (he does have a name) RU assistant coach during the BE tournament between sessions making a transaction on the street.

I always loved DeSemplare's post game interviews. Thanks for reminding me!

Seeing how hurley behaved at all of his previous and current coaching stops, i would assume it was probably be an easy decision to let him go.

Reactions: Bleed_Scarlet
Well Hurley did push Cam Spencer in the back yesterday. So that's good. Right?

When the Eddie Jordan hire was made the speculation was we did not want to offer a 7 year contract . That seemed reasonable at the time since we had little money back then. Danny has brought his father’s in your face Hudson County defense , on full display last night , and changed his defense only philosophy to offense about 2 years ago. Like all good coaches he copied from some European teams and concepts to get something every trip that wasn’t isolation one on one basketball . His evolvement has been a major change that has worked wonders . Hats off to him but he is one of the biggest whiners in the sport that many find hard to root for.

Reactions: Antnee79
Say what you want about Danny but he went from being a Rutgers assistant to learning how be a winning HC during his 9 years as HC of the St.Benedick's Prep Basketball program
He left HS ball for a HC position at a minor college program , moving up the ranks till he became HC of one of the top college programs that now is a double Champion under him
Hurley might look like a hot head, but he knows how to coach and I don't believe ( except for being connected to Bannon) there are no embarrassing scandals connected to Danny.
I'd take him as RU's HC, but that wil;l not happen , so I'll support Pike and hope he can make RU MBB thought of in a few years like UConn is now

IIRC, he was the whistle blower for Bannons drinking issues.

The bigger mistake was not giving him the 7 year contract he wanted and hiring EJ instead.

Yup - the freaking yo-yo. Can you imagine how that went over? And I think his words in the infamous moment were, “Where’s high school Hurley?!” Ouch.
I remember that one too. Insane how bad that staff was. That doomed Waters tenure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT