ADVERTISEMENT

I Miss College Basketball

What is it with some of you guys and not liking the NBA? Especially this last couple months of the season and the playoffs. The last couple years have been super exciting as far as new emerging players playoff/play in drama..let me ask one of you guys, what is it that you don't like? A couple of those NCAA games were fun to watch but the lack of shot making and the frantic style of play with no foul calls is a gimmick. You'd really rather watch that than Dallas and Luka in a 7 game series with Paul George, kawhi and the clippers? Serious shot making in that series.
Anyone else missing college hoops?

I'd much rather watch Georgetown vs. Butler than just about any NBA game.

A friend of mine owns a planet fitness..if you don't know it is not a serious gym, lacks free weights, squat racks, benches
They just have cardio and basic machines like leg extension and things like that. They actually discourage people that actually know how to work out from joining, going as far as setting off an alarm if someone's in their grunting or looking too aggressive. They serve pizza and Tootsie rolls on special days...Their whole business plan is based on people not actually liking or wanting to work out, they want to sign up as many people as possible for a yearly contract and bank on them never coming because the gym is not big enough for all of the members...lol I say all that to say, idk if some actually like the game of basketball or if you just enjoy the group setting of being a fan, the stories that are packaged together and sold to you as college basketball. Just as people don't actually want to work out but can be sold on the idea of being fit. For example womens college basketball is being pushed currently, all of the storylines now all of a sudden there are 50 year old men having passionate arguments about the goat of women's college basketball lol...who would've thought? It seems that the company line by some on this board is "NBA BAD"...but there have been some excellent games over the last few years if you actually like the sport of basketball and can appreciate the skill sets on display...

Reactions: Goku
A friend of mine owns a planet fitness..if you don't know it is not a serious gym, lacks free weights, squat racks, benches
They just have cardio and basic machines like leg extension and things like that. They actually discourage people that actually know how to work out from joining, going as far as setting off an alarm if someone's in their grunting or looking too aggressive. They serve pizza and Tootsie rolls on special days...Their whole business plan is based on people not actually liking or wanting to work out, they want to sign up as many people as possible for a yearly contract and bank on them never coming because the gym is not big enough for all of the members...lol I say all that to say, idk if some actually like the game of basketball or if you just enjoy the group setting of being a fan, the stories that are packaged together and sold to you as college basketball. Just as people don't actually want to work out but can be sold on the idea of being fit. For example womens college basketball is being pushed currently, all of the storylines now all of a sudden there are 50 year old men having passionate arguments about the goat of women's college basketball lol...who would've thought? It seems that the company line by some on this board is "NBA BAD"...but there have been some excellent games over the last few years if you actually like the sport of basketball and can appreciate the skill sets on display...

My feeling is some don't like it on principle alone without having actually watched an NBA game in years. For those who do watch, would notice that the college game is becoming much closer to the NBA game but with less talent and worse officiating. For me, I just like watching basketball at all levels. From my kid in Rec/CYO and up.

What is it with some of you guys and not liking the NBA? Especially this last couple months of the season and the playoffs. The last couple years have been super exciting as far as new emerging players playoff/play in drama..let me ask one of you guys, what is it that you don't like? A couple of those NCAA games were fun to watch but the lack of shot making and the frantic style of play with no foul calls is a gimmick. You'd really rather watch that than Dallas and Luka in a 7 game series with Paul George, kawhi and the clippers? Serious shot making in that series.

Pretty excited for 2 months of playoff basketball.

Same.
I start watching baseball in September.
I’ll watch some of the playoffs.
I’m 40 years old and looking forward to the college football video game. Buying a ps5 just for it. Now I’ll have to find time for it.

Reactions: cshelley
Playoff basketball is awesome

82 games X 30 teams where the score is 130- 120 is awful to watch

The “top” defensive team gives up 108 points a game just isn’t my idea of good basketball

Load management, lack of defense aren’t great things either

Reactions: cshelley
It’s like any sport for me - if my team is competitive, I’m more engaged. Watching this version of the Knicks has me more into the NBA than I was. They’re an old school team to a certain degree, but able to compete in the new school.

It’s like any sport for me - if my team is competitive, I’m more engaged. Watching this version of the Knicks has me more into the NBA than I was. They’re an old school team to a certain degree, but able to compete in the new school.
As a Nets fan, I've hated the Knicks ever since John Starks broke Kenny Anderson's wrist at the Meadowlands

But I can admit the NBA is way more fun to watch when the Knicks are good and the Garden is rocking

@bac2therac

i havent watched a NBA game in over 25 years maybe 30 years now. I also have never worked out and will never work out at a Planet Fitness.

They should have the Top 16 kickers in the NFL each year after the Super Bowl compete to see who can make the the most 55 yard FGs.

Put the kickers in a 16 player bracket and have each kicker kick 40 balls and the best kicker 4 out of 7 rounds advanced.

That would be so cool to watch. If you want to spice it up make them kick 10 from each hash mark and 20 in the middle.

3 questions....can you say yes to any of these 3.
1. Do you bring a duffle bag with you to the gym
2. Have you ever flexed in the mirror at your gym in front of everyone
3. Do you drink from a plastic bottle with a wire ball at the bottom at your gym?

Serious answer.
I often prefer the higher degree of randomness in the college game to the higher degree of skill in the pro game.
Often, not always.

The Knicks always losing sapped my interest a decade ago.

i havent watched a NBA game in over 25 years maybe 30 years now. I also have never worked out and will never work out at a Planet Fitness.
Amazing, I'm trying to understand are you a former basketball player? Or just a fan? Would you say you're a BASKETBALL fan or do you like all sports in general?

Reactions: RUsojo
Serious answer.
I often prefer the higher degree of randomness in the college game to the higher degree of skill in the pro game.
Often, not always.

The Knicks always losing sapped my interest a decade ago.
This makes sense...the NCAA tournament was fun to watch but so many were offensively challenged some games were tough to get through...I guess it's similar to baseball I can watch my nephews travel team and little League world series all day because it's fascinating to watch the infield defense but in the MLB there is no sense of randomness because the infield defense is pretty much flawless besides the occasional error..

It’s irrational at best I applaud your effort but you’ll just be told why Hockey is better.

Of course I am not a big baseball fan so I'm probably the planet fitness goer in the world of baseball fandom. Basketball I love it and seeing guys like Kyrie, Luka, LeBron etc display crazy skill sets and athleticism is enjoyable and motivation for me at the gym...lol anyone want a serious gym check out "the impact zone" up in Norwood 🔥🔥🔥

tumblr_mi8irsEYcZ1qh9nffo1_250.gif

I miss college football when Rutgers had a team that could throw the ball downfield, like the Teel offense, or the Nova offense. The Schiano+Gavin offense of the past few years has been painful to watch

I miss college basketball when Rutgers had high-arc 3-pt shooters like Jerome Coleman and Ricky Shields, or the 2020-2023 Pike dynasty that would out-grit the opposition. This past season of bricks and missed bunnies was painful to watch.

I didn't watch the NBA for 20 years, but my 5-year old son loves it, so I love it now with him. I miss the 90s and early 2000s basketball, but one thing that has me excited this playoffs is that there really is parity and suspense on who will win.

Think about it...since the 80s, its been about superteams and fans knowing at the start of the playoffs who would make the NBA finals.

Since the mid-80s, we knew at least one team that was going to make the finals...usually who the 2 teams would e.

It was Celtics vs Lakers. Then the Pistons mini-dynsasty. Then Jordan's Bulls. Then the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. Sprinkle in there the Duncan Spurs. Then the Coward-Lebron Superteam Heat vs __________. Then Golden State vs Hero-Lebron Superteam Cavs.

In the NBA, it seems the superteam trio experiment is fading out, reshuffling, or decentralizing. Some shift is happening but it's good for competitive balance.

I can seriously see any of these teams make the finals and win it this year.
-Celtics...the East really seems like theirs to lose
-Knicks...especially if their 3pt shooters make their shots.
-Pacers, but doubt it
-76ers, but doubt it
-Would have the Heat on here, but Butler's injury now knocks them out
-OKC
-Denver
-Twolves
-Clippers
-Mavs, but doubt it
-Suns, but doubt it
-Lakers, but doubt it

The West is very wide open. The East seems like it will be the Celtics vs either the Knicks or Pacers

I do think the NBA game needs another recalibration to allow better defense on the perimeter, and the game is very much just 2 modes of scoring...drive in the wide open lane or chuck 3-pointers. But teams play great rotation zone defense in the playoffs and the level of intensity is more watchable for us fans who are 45yo and older.

Give it a shot. It's different than 1990s and 2000s basketball, but I've embraced the change.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
I miss college football when Rutgers had a team that could throw the ball downfield, like the Teel offense, or the Nova offense. The Schiano+Gavin offense of the past few years has been painful to watch

I miss college basketball when Rutgers had high-arc 3-pt shooters like Jerome Coleman and Ricky Shields, or the 2020-2023 Pike dynasty that would out-grit the opposition. This past season of bricks and missed bunnies was painful to watch.

I didn't watch the NBA for 20 years, but my 5-year old son loves it, so I love it now with him. I miss the 90s and early 2000s basketball, but one thing that has me excited this playoffs is that there really is parity and suspense on who will win.

Think about it...since the 80s, its been about superteams and fans knowing at the start of the playoffs who would make the NBA finals.

Since the mid-80s, we knew at least one team that was going to make the finals...usually who the 2 teams would e.

It was Celtics vs Lakers. Then the Pistons mini-dynsasty. Then Jordan's Bulls. Then the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. Sprinkle in there the Duncan Spurs. Then the Coward-Lebron Superteam Heat vs __________. Then Golden State vs Hero-Lebron Superteam Cavs.

In the NBA, it seems the superteam trio experiment is fading out, reshuffling, or decentralizing. Some shift is happening but it's good for competitive balance.

I can seriously see any of these teams make the finals and win it this year.
-Celtics...the East really seems like theirs to lose
-Knicks...especially if their 3pt shooters make their shots.
-Pacers, but doubt it
-76ers, but doubt it
-Would have the Heat on here, but Butler's injury now knocks them out
-OKC
-Denver
-Twolves
-Clippers
-Mavs, but doubt it
-Suns, but doubt it
-Lakers, but doubt it

The West is very wide open. The East seems like it will be the Celtics vs either the Knicks or Pacers

I do think the NBA game needs another recalibration to allow better defense on the perimeter, and the game is very much just 2 modes of scoring...drive in the wide open lane or chuck 3-pointers. But teams play great rotation zone defense in the playoffs and the level of intensity is more watchable for us fans who are 45yo and older.

Give it a shot. It's different than 1990s and 2000s basketball, but I've embraced the change.
This is a great analysis of the upcoming playoffs...so many young skilled players with an opportunity to be the next stars... Orlando is an interesting team to me as well... banchero and the Wagner brothers are big and skilled....idk about their guard play though...I haven't really watched them play this year so I'll be looking forward to watching them in a 7 game series....if the mavericks can get through the Clippers I think they can make a nice run for it. Ultimately if Denver beats the Lakers again, don't think anyone on the west will beat them and we will get nuggets, Celtics...I like that the Celtics added jrue Holiday, he might be able to get Tatum and Brown over the hump. Derek white has also played extremely well. But Jokic is unstoppable so they might be on their way to a repeat..

As a Nets fan, I've hated the Knicks ever since John Starks broke Kenny Anderson's wrist at the Meadowlands

But I can admit the NBA is way more fun to watch when the Knicks are good and the Garden is rocking
As a huge Nets fan, whenever I hear the name John Starks it still pisses me off.

Anderson's career was never the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT