ADVERTISEMENT

In Praise of JMike

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
True freshman playing his first real collegiate game and he showed why he’ll be great here.

Yes, he shot only 2-10 and was a bit out of control at times, but the kid had 7 (!) rebounds to go with 3 assists and only 1 turnover, and brought tremendous energy and effort on both sides of the floor.

It’s a shame veterans like Hyatt, Noah, and to some extent Cliff couldn’t perform better last night to cover for some of JMike’s freshman mistakes.

In all you have to be encouraged by what he can bring to the team this year.

J Mike will be a player. Fast, tight handle, can get downhill to the basket. Appears to have a midrange pull-up in his arsenal. Brings an intensity this team seems to badly need. Excited to watch him grow

Only tough part is none of our guards compliment one another, so will be interesting to see how their minutes are aligned. Given his lack of 3-point shooting, J Mike would be well-served playing with bigger guards that can shoot the ball — but we are who we are right now

I stated previously that I think JMike is a diamond in the rough. Reminds me of Corey Sanders, which is a compliment, and he has the potential to be much better than Corey.

Agree. He has a real nose for the ball. Saw it in the exhibition vs. St. John’s where he was all over the court picking up loose balls and rebounding and was arguably the best player on the court.
As you said, last night in his first regular season game it looked like from the broadcast that he forced some plays on the offensive end and he didn’t shoot well. But Pikiell obviously has a lot of confidence in him with him playing the most minutes (29).

Reactions: BillyC80
Agree. He has a real nose for the ball. Saw it in the exhibition vs. St. John’s where he was all over the court picking up loose balls and rebounding and was arguably the best player on the court.
As you said, last night in his first regular season game it looked like from the broadcast that he forced some plays on the offensive end and he didn’t shoot well. But Pikiell obviously has a lot of confidence in him playing the most minutes (29) last night.
A nose for the ball like AJ soprano

I stated previously that I think JMike is a diamond in the rough. Reminds me of Corey Sanders, which is a compliment, and he has the potential to be much better than Corey.
Sanders was a go to scorer for Rutgers which is lacking on the current squad.

needs to play like a point guard. and not a high school point guard. which means less jumpers.

excited to see him and Wolf develop

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I might have seen .8% of his career last night. Can he shoot. If the answer is no it really limits the impact he can have.

He definitely was what we needed last night. We were on a path to lose by 20+ until him and Williams Woolfolk came in.

needs to play like a point guard. and not a high school point guard. which means less jumpers.

excited to see him and Wolf develop
His last high school game was playing with Ace Bailey. There's gonna be an adjustment.

True freshman playing his first real collegiate game and he showed why he’ll be great here.

Yes, he shot only 2-10 and was a bit out of control at times, but the kid had 7 (!) rebounds to go with 3 assists and only 1 turnover, and brought tremendous energy and effort on both sides of the floor.

It’s a shame veterans like Hyatt, Noah, and to some extent Cliff couldn’t perform better last night to cover for some of JMike’s freshman mistakes.

I am super thrilled what JMike will be this year but last night wasn’t close to being good , offensively , defensively , assist wise or any other way. He had a bad night like a lot of the guys.

I am super thrilled what JMike will be this year but last night wasn’t close to being good , offensively , defensively , assist wise or any other way. He had a bad night like a lot of the guys.
Stat wise it may look like that but above his energy helped a lot. He was the only able to slow down the kid from Canada, he rebounded, he was vocal. Very mature game for his first as a freshman. Will get better as the season goes along.

Many of the shots he took that people are criticizing, it looks like he he was forced to take some of those shot because others were passing up open opportunities and constantly deferring. I liked his energy and determination..
Correct, the 3 he airballed late was because palmqvist passed up an open 3 right before.

Palm played well but idk how you are not ready to shoot when the play was an elevator screen for him at the top.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
He was also pretty much asked to be “the guy” the last 5 mins. That falls squarely on the rest of the roster not picking up any of the slack.

Simpson, hyatt, cliff, fernandes should be taking over in that spot and show their maturity

He was also pretty much asked to be “the guy” the last 5 mins. That falls squarely on the rest of the roster not picking up any of the slack.

Simpson, hyatt, cliff, fernandes should be taking over in that spot and show their maturity
He didn’t run pick and roll with Cliff as Noah did and the only time successfully for a dunk , followed by the next time Cliff got doubled hit a cutting JMike who gave it to Williams in the corner for the successful 3. But spacing was bad and JMike did not run pick and roll when he was running the offense and z Princeton was playing man to man defense. He should have every time.

I was very excited about him after the St. John’s exhibition. He was getting to the basket at will and was getting a lot of them to go. Also got a lot more favorable whistle when taking it to the basket than he did last night.

Wasn’t a pretty night shooting the ball for him but he’ll figure it out.

Really like his energy and he’s already better than I expected when we signed him. However, our freshman backup point guard, who quite possible is the worst shooter on the team, took more shots than anyone but Cliff..in competitive loss…and was 2 for 10…that’s a problem.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
He didn’t run pick and roll with Cliff as Noah did and the only time successfully for a dunk , followed by the next time Cliff got doubled hit a cutting JMike who gave it to Williams in the corner for the successful 3. But spacing was bad and JMike did not run pick and roll when he was running the offense and z Princeton was playing man to man defense. He should have every time.
Overall I was encouraged with his play. All his shortcoming were to be expected.

Pike for some reason has never just stuck to high P&R (an area cliff excels). It is probably because are lack of shooting threats so maybe that will slowly change.

Jmike, has what some players will never have: Great Court sense and awareness, his ball sense is very impressive. He will eventually surpass Fernandes as our point.
This why he rebounds well, his most impressive #'s from HS were his rebounding #'s all about angles and positioning.

Gets 30+ minutes by the end of the season. It ends up him at the point, Simpson at the 2, and GG at the 3. Speed kills.

Jmike, has what some players will never have: Great Court sense and awareness, his ball sense is very impressive. He will eventually surpass Fernandes as our point.
This why he rebounds well, his most impressive #'s from HS were his rebounding #'s all about angles and positioning.
Also, no one knows better where a missed shot will go than the shooter. Lots of rebounding opportunities there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT