ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana

rutgershoopsinsider

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2023
Before most fans give up on this team, tomorrow Rutgers has a chance to try and pick up a win POTENTIALLY build a little momentum.

Indiana has not been great this year; however, the Hoosiers continue to win. They've been blown out by UConn and Auburn, gave up a double-digit lead at home to Kansas, and were waxed by 16 to Nebraska last week.

Indiana's signature win of the season so far is Ohio State, who they beat at home. Had it been a road game, I don't think the Hoosiers would've won. They've struggled to put away low-level mid-majors including Army, Wright State, Kennesaw State, FGCU, and Harvard.

Rutgers has got to come out the gates strong and find their rhythm. It seems to be a problem with almost every game that Rutgers digs themselves in such a deep hole, they cannot get out of it. This has to stop. They have got to work and find good shots by drive 'n kick or ball reversals.

They also MUST avoid coldspells. There is no f***ing way they should be starting a game 1/15 from the field like they did against Iowa. It's inexcusable. We know this is not a great shooting team, but how can you start 1/15 from the field?

Defensively, Rutgers is pretty solid but they cannot allow Malik Reneau to get on fire. Reneau is at his best when he backs down defenders and uses his effective left hook shot. Rutgers must force him to go right. Is Cliff up to the task? I sure as hell hope so.

If I were Pikiell (and I agree 100% with Richie from the TKR Pod episode from Sunday), your starting lineup should be J-Mike, Austin Williams, Aundre Hyatt, Mawot Mag, and Cliff. Simpson and Fernandes should be coming off the bench.

Pike has to find a way to help build Gavin's confidence. I know Gavin's shooting has been terrible lately, he's looked lost on the court, and defensively he's a reliability. It's all part of the growing pains for the young freshman. But for goodness sake, create some offensive sets that can help Gavin instead of him forcing to create on his own and take bad shots. Work him into the drive 'n kick or ball reversals.

Free-throw shooting has been great as of late, but finishing around the rim including layups is a must. Shit, they went 11/26 on layups against Iowa. That is inexcusable.

If Rutgers can beat Indiana on Tuesday, it should help build their confidence when they face Michigan State next Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News