ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comments from the Master Plan Discusion

mkollar

All Conference
Jan 5, 2006
Somewhere
www.marckollar.com
The University manages 17,000 beds by itself. This does not reference any apartments, frats, sororities, etc. The number of beds puts us at the No. 1 University in the country managing dorm space.

The bus system remains the second largest bus system in the state, moving 90k students per day.

One of the biggest concerns in balancing class size with student experience is on campus vs. "distance education."

Right now all target dates for Lot 8 (Grease Truck Lot) and Honors College are on schedule.

Going forward, there are discussions about developing walkway bridges from the River Dorm bus stops over to the area where Records Hall, Brower Commons and the electrical generation plant are located. Probably one of the most interesting set of comments related to the future plans to remove Records Hall, the electrical generation plant, Brower Commons and Stonier Hall to replace them with a new dining hall and "student living area" including gym facilities and recreational space.
This post was edited on 5/16 5:09 PM by mkollar

"Probably one of the most interesting set of comments related to the future plans to remove Records Hall, the electrical generation plant, Brower Commons and Stonier Hall to replace them with a new dining hall and "student living area" including gym facilities and recreational space."
THANK GOD!!! I have hated that GD smokestack since the day I walked on campus 20 years ago.

mkollar, thanks for the interesting master plan information.

Probably one of the most interesting set of comments related to the future plans to remove Records Hall, the electrical generation plant, Brower Commons and Stonier Hall -- I wish demolition could begin on Monday.

That would be the greatest thing to ever happen to the College Avenue campus. As a recent graduate, Records Hall always felt pretty outdated and the smokestack was a real eyesore too. Brower is a dump too compared to the Livingston dining hall as well. Love the idea all around.

HA! The walkway over George st. From the Ledge to records hall has been needed since before I lived at Campbell hall in '87 and records hall always looked like a busch building that got lost whilst visiting college ave. Stonier and brower act as a wall between the student center and the river dorms; not a pedestrian-friendly structure at all.

Some of this sounds similar to the much debated college ave redev plan from a decade ago. Hopefully something comes to fruition

Originally posted by Scarlet Craig:

"Probably one of the most interesting set of comments related to the future plans to remove Records Hall, the electrical generation plant, Brower Commons and Stonier Hall to replace them with a new dining hall and "student living area" including gym facilities and recreational space."

THANK GOD!!! I have hated that GD smokestack since the day I walked on campus 20 years ago.
One of my first post on this Board was about said smokestack.

My suggestion...light it up: spell RUTGERS down it and light it like the old Carborundum plant off the GSP.

But that was thinking it was never going away. If this plan is to remove it, so much the better.

If this happens then FINALLY we get rid of those eyesores. God, I hope this happens.

To everyone,

I definitely agree this needs to happen. Of course it will take out the Learning Center as well. That building has a bit of history as being the location of the old book store from the mid-1950's through the early-1980's before it moved down to the Ferren Deck.

I know this is a long shot, but I'm going to see if I can get either Tony Calcado or Frank Wong to possibly interact with us on here. No guarantees, though. I'm sure Cofifa is probably snickering at my goal, but we'll see.
smile.r191677.gif

I should roll out my plans that built an elevated park from the front of browser across where a demolished Records Hall once was connecting to an all glass dining hall across George street overlooking the river.
All buses would be relocated to a bus terminal under the park taking bus traffic off College Ave and the loading and unloading of buses off the street

Originally posted by Cofifa:
I should roll out my plans that built an elevated park from the front of browser across where a demolished Records Hall once was connecting to an all glass dining hall across George street overlooking the river.
All buses would be relocated to a bus terminal under the park taking bus traffic off College Ave and the loading and unloading of buses off the street
I like the idea. But instead of an all-glass dining hall, I would recommend a brick dining hall with large arched windows overlooking the river. From the other side of the river, that would look a lot more interesting than an all-glass facade.

baltimore-smokestack-23194746.jpg

Thats because Rutgers is to stupid to do this to it

Ill be honest - Ive nver really considered George Street at that point to be some huge impediment to pedestrian traffic tat it needs a bridge.

This post was edited on 5/19 9:42 AM by derleider

Originally posted by derleider:
ec

Ill be honest - Ive nver really considered George Street at that point to be some huge impediment to pedestrian traffic tat it needs a bridge.

I don't think painting Rutgers or Baltimore on the side of a smokestack makes it any more appealing.

Originally posted by Arizona Knight:
ec

I don't think painting Rutgers or Baltimore on the side of a smokestack makes it any more appealing.
Well its a matter of taste. But in both cases the smokestack is there. You can make it at least somewhat decorative and an advertisement, or just leave it. I suggest not just leaving it.

ec

Well its a matter of taste. But in both cases the smokestack is there. You can make it at least somewhat decorative and an advertisement, or just leave it. I suggest not just leaving it.
I thought the OP was reporting that the idea was to do away with the plant, which means you can do away with the smoke stack. Perhaps Rutgers no long thinks it's economical to generate electricity on its own. I wonder what fuel Rutgers is burning in there.

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:

ec

I thought the OP was reporting that the idea was to do away with the plant, which means you can do away with the smoke stack. Perhaps Rutgers no long thinks it's economical to generate electricity on its own. I wonder what fuel Rutgers is burning in there.
Well obviously doing away with it would be for the best. But its not like its has to be such an eyesore. They could nice it up a little.

Originally posted by mkollar:
Going forward, there are discussions about developing walkway bridges from the River Dorm bus stops over to the area where Records Hall, Brower Commons...
If we built one from Johnson Park to the South end zone over River Road at the same time would we get a volume discount?

(I know 6/7 times a year over every academic day for these proposed spans.)

Yes, the entire generation plant, Records Hall, Brower Commons and Stonier Hall are slated to be demolished and the area "revitalized" in a way.

Tony did specifically state that the generation plant is "highly inefficient" (his words, not mine). IIRC, the fuel source is oil. It may have been changed over to natural gas, but I cannot recall for certain.

Originally posted by mkollar:

Yes, the entire generation plant, Records Hall, Brower Commons and Stonier Hall are slated to be demolished and the area "revitalized" in a way.

Tony did specifically state that the generation plant is "highly inefficient" (his words, not mine). IIRC, the fuel source is oil. It may have been changed over to natural gas, but I cannot recall for certain.
A unit designed to burn oil that is burning natural gas instead is not going to be very efficient. The switch to natural gas made environmental and economic sense, but you're still not going to get the kind of efficiency you'd want in a modern plant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT