ADVERTISEMENT

Is CVS coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rutgers employees accrue a day of sick leave each month. Bu that limit doesn't apply to faculty. I was on the faculty for over thirty years, and I *never* heard of anyone questioning a faculty member's sick time. -- and some, for various reasons, took a *lot* of sick time Beside, I know of faculty who are teaching classes remotely because of concerns about, among other things, possibly exposing family members to Covid. I think people should postpone worrying until the season starts on a week from today.

Rutgers employees accrue a day of sick leave each month. Bu that limit doesn't apply to faculty. I was on the faculty for over thirty years, and I *never* heard of anyone questioning a faculty member's sick time. -- and some, for various reasons, took a *lot* of sick time Beside, I know of faculty who are teaching classes remotely because of concerns about, among other things, possibly exposing family members to Covid. I think people should postpone worrying until the season starts on a week from today.
Because teaching a class and coaching a basketball team are very similar 😂

I know enough not to compare it to coaching a sport and that both activities are done much more effectively in person.
She's got assistants to give hands-on instruction. I'm sure she's got good video (much better than Zoom, probably) to see what's going on in practice. I agree I want her doing in-game coaching, but I'm not sure it matters much before then.

She's got assistants to give hands-on instruction. I'm sure she's got good video (much better than Zoom, probably) to see what's going on in practice. I agree I want her doing in-game coaching, but I'm not sure it matters much before then.
Agree to disagree and based on what some folks who attend games have said it appears in very recent years is it not CVSs voice being heard during games.

Agree to disagree and based on what some folks who attend games have said it appears in very recent years is it not CVSs voice being heard during games.
I think you meant to say "it is not" -- I make mistakes like that all the time! Maybe it doesn't matter if she's not at the games if she's not doing anything at them anyway. Perhaps she''s focusing on recruiting, but I don't know.

I think you meant to say "it is not" -- I make mistakes like that all the time! Maybe it doesn't matter if she's not at the games if she's not doing anything at them anyway. Perhaps she''s focusing on recruiting, but I don't know.
And the bolded/underlined is what has got most fans stirred up. AD should say something.

And the bolded/underlined is what has got most fans stirred up. AD should say something.
My guess (others here have said this, so it's hardly original) is that he doesn't want to talk about medical conditions. But I agree he has to say something (even just "she's on medical leave") if she's not coaching next Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
My guess (others here have said this, so it's hardly original) is that he doesn't want to talk about medical conditions. But I agree he has to say something (even just "she's on medical leave") sif he's not coaching next Tuesday.
Correct, we don’t need any medical info but how about what is her status as far as team interaction right now and is there a plan going forward or a timeline for her return.

Not contesting legalities or what’s right or not
But if thre was a fear of coaching suffering this is not a conventional situation. Tim, Nadine and Michelle have been together a good deal of time. Further I thought they did most of the everyday training with CViV clocking in occasionally.
We have 5 ooc games and I think we will be close to ready ( not the strongest competition ) and by the Thanksgiving tournament they will be rolling

of course just an opinion but I don’t care either if she is here or not.. her most important roll is finding 4-5 2022 players to fill out next years roster

The problem here is that no information has been put out there about her current and potential future coaching situation. That causes rampant speculation. I have heard everything from the fear of getting Covid to dementia. No information let’s minds run wild and it will continue.

Maybe you have no clue about teaching??
Teachers especially college professors should be entitled to fair compensation . At Rutgers that is over compensation if you are comparing it to Vivian Stringer’s absence from her team. We have MadHat attempting to justify the coaches unexplained absence. Here’s my prediction going forward. Viv will not return anytime soon and perhaps maybe never if it is the virus that is the issue. A better assumption is she has a health issue herself simliar to what caused her to leave last season. The stress of the pandemic, her advanced age and yes the care of her daughter all are factors. To think she can accomplish what she would like to do away and on a zoom call is bogus. She is a hands on coach. Always has been since she was a protege of John Chaney. You don’t want “ assistants “ to be calling all the shots .

Not contesting legalities or what’s right or not
But if thre was a fear of coaching suffering this is not a conventional situation. Tim, Nadine and Michelle have been together a good deal of time. Further I thought they did most of the everyday training with CViV clocking in occasionally.
We have 5 ooc games and I think we will be close to ready ( not the strongest competition ) and by the Thanksgiving tournament they will be rolling

of course just an opinion but I don’t care either if she is here or not.. her most important roll is finding 4-5 2022 players to fill out next years roster
You can find a YOUNG vibrant , successful coach out there at the right dollar amount. Paying Viv to be a recruiter at her new salary is foolish but we’ll give Rutgers that . The times have changed and Vivian will not be coaching in the next few years. A great career looks better when you can walk away ahead of the inevitable of playing the string out too long.

Reactions: bac2therac
You can find a YOUNG vibrant , successful coach out there at the right dollar amount. Paying Viv to be a recruiter at her new salary is foolish but we’ll give Rutgers that . The times have changed and Vivian will not be coaching in the next few years. A great career looks better when you can walk away ahead of the inevitable of playing the string out too long.
Just curious about the "right dollar amount" - after 5 years, Adia Barnes here in AZ is making approximately what Vivian is, about the 9th or 10th highest paid coach in the land. She's relatively young and certainly vibrant.

Just curious about the "right dollar amount" - after 5 years, Adia Barnes here in AZ is making approximately what Vivian is, about the 9th or 10th highest paid coach in the land. She's relatively young and certainly vibrant.
As I understand it (and maybe I'm wrong), Stringer is entitled to $5 million for the next five years, guaranteed. So she would have to be bought out to hire a new coach. I don't follow women's basketball carefully enough, but I'm a little surprised that there is a five-year contract, starting this year, with a coach who is 73 years old. Presumably, it is a golden handshake, but others may know better than I do

As I understand it (and maybe I'm wrong), Stringer is entitled to $5 million for the next five years, guaranteed. So she would have to be bought out to hire a new coach. I don't follow women's basketball carefully enough, but I'm a little surprised that there is a five-year contract, starting this year, with a coach who is 73 years old. Presumably, it is a golden handshake, but others may know better than I do
What I actually was looking for was what the poster thought was the right dollar amount for a young and vibrant coach that RU Bob was suggesting should be available. What Adia is making - probably 4 times what she was hired at 5 years ago - suggests that good, young and vibrant coaches do not necessarily come cheap.

I think Viv's contract either extends to filling a different role or isn't guaranteed. I did not think she had to be bought out, but I could be wrong.

What I actually was looking for was what the poster thought was the right dollar amount for a young and vibrant coach that RU Bob was suggesting should be available. What Adia is making - probably 4 times what she was hired at 5 years ago - suggests that good, young and vibrant coaches do not necessarily come cheap.

I think Viv's contract either extends to filling a different role or isn't guaranteed. I did not think she had to be bought out, but I could be wrong.
This article says it's guaranteed. https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...-stringer-contract-extension-rutgers/2779002/. So does this one. https://www.espn.com/womens-college...-gives-coach-vivian-stringer-5-year-extension

A couple of years ago, just down Rt. 27 (she wouldn't even had to move her family) was Courtney Banghart, who went to North Carolina for $650,000.

A couple of years ago, just down Rt. 27 (she wouldn't even had to move her family) was Courtney Banghart, who went to North Carolina for $650,000.
My understanding is on top of her salary Courtany could be getting a bit of extra money with bonuses of up to $470,000 available annually for the team's academic performance, winning an Atlantic Coast Conference championship and for how far the Tar Heels advance in the NCAA Tournament.
Banghart is a HC moving up from a school that she had success at but the competition she faced isn't like she will face now.
She was at the time of hiring considered one of the better up and coming HCs, but not an established winner at the highest level of competition
That's why salary hired for was less than a mil, but her potential made for including bonus clause

As for Stringer's extension, I believe the last contract she signed had the money guaranteed for the first two years , then the remaining years were to be paid at 50% of what owed if she was let go
The latest contract between CVS and Rutgers that has been reported doesn't included included buyout terms or if fully guaranteed for length of contract.
By extending CVS Rutgers let the Women's Basketball World know they were keeping their HOF HC who is one of the most respect in college basketball , men or women's.

Last edited:
Its not a golden handshake it is an ironclad 5 year guaranteed contract and she is going to milk the remainder of the contract till the end whether it means her sitting on the bench doing nothing or staying home because of Covid she is going nowhere and either way we have to pay her.

Many people in the athletic department are NOT Happy about this!!!!!

See my last post her money is guaranteed!!!!

My understanding is on top of her salary Courtany could be getting a bit of extra money with bonuses of up to $470,000 available annually for the team's academic performance, winning an Atlantic Coast Conference championship and for how far the Tar Heels advance in the NCAA Tournament.
Banghart is a HC moving up from a school that she had success at but the competition she faced isn't like she will face now.
She was at the time of hiring considered one of the better up and coming HCs, but not an established winner at the highest level of competition
That's why salary hired for was less than a mil, but her potential made for including bonus clause

As for Stringer's extension, I believe the last contract she signed had the money guaranteed for the first two years , then the remaining years were to be paid at 50% of what owed if she was let go
The latest contract between CVS and Rutgers that has been reported doesn't included included buyout terms or if fully guaranteed for length of contract.
By extending CVS Rutgers let the Women's Basketball World know they were keeping their HOF HC who is one of the most respect in college basketball , men or women's.
By extending her contract it just showed how selfish CVS is and she knows that she is holding Rutgers/Hobbs hostage by her not retiring and she is going to milk this thing until the end; This is fact!!!
Hobbs would get rid of her in a second if he could

Its not a golden handshake it is an ironclad 5 year guaranteed contract and she is going to milk the remainder of the contract till the end whether it means her sitting on the bench doing nothing or staying home because of Covid she is going nowhere and either way we have to pay her.

To me, a five-year guaranteed contract for a 73-year old is the equivalent of a golden handshake, but I won't argue about semantics. I doubt she will sit on the bench for five years or do anything you describe because she doesn't have to in order to earn the money-- that's what it means for a contract to be guaranteed.

By extending her contract it just showed how selfish CVS is and she knows that she is holding Rutgers/Hobbs hostage by her not retiring and she is going to milk this thing until the end; This is fact!!!
Hobbs would get rid of her in a second if he could
Could be no holding hostage but a mutual agreement between the school and coach to continue what began many years ago.
Hobbs might be thrilled to continue the relationship.

As for guaranteed all 5 years, of course it will be as long as she's the HC, but in the past Vivian's contract salary was guaranteed , but there was a clause in it that cut the buyout down from the guaranteed salary if she was terminated.
I searched for Stringers contract but couldn't find it in full and can only go by the media's bare bones reporting about extension.
Maybe you can provide a link to the new extension in full, I'd appreciate your doing so.
If not I figure your guaranteed money is going by her doing the whole 5 and don't know if there's a buyout clause on contract or not
I can't say if there's a buyout clause or not because I haven't read the whole contract, just media report on it.

I've seen the following sentence in two different news reports from the contract's signing: "Beginning next season through the duration of the contract, Stringer is guaranteed $5.5 million, plus performance incentives and retention bonuses." So it appears she gets paid extra if she coaches for that period of time, but receives the $5.5 millionin any case. The most detailed story is in nj.com, but it's behind a pay wall and I no longer waste my money subscribing. https://www.onthebanks.com/2021/4/1...-contract-extension-womens-basketball-big-ten

You mean the HOF icon sitting at home collecting a paycheck ? Vivian deserves some slack however there is a limit to even those good intentions. Let her “ fans” know when … after this contract or after the pandemic which will end in March 2022.

Gee that is hard to believe. C. Viv herself ( if able) should address the absence. That would salve long time supporters and WBB fan base. In this instance silence is not golden.

Gee that is hard to believe. C. Viv herself ( if able) should address the absence. That would salve long time supporters and WBB fan base. In this instance silence is not golden.
Agreed there should be some statement especially with the season starting but let’s be real she has only been a figurehead for a few years anyway and is definitely doing very little coaching herself which makes the contract more of a joke

Reactions: motorb54

If and when CVS runs out of sick time why would Rutgers have to pay her? An employee simply can’t stop showing up and still get paid? Can they

If and when CVS runs out of sick time why would Rutgers have to pay her? An employee simply can’t stop showing up and still get paid? Can they
Can she stop showing up and still get paid? Depends on what the contract says. I haven't seen it, but it's possible it says that the money is guaranteed even if she doesn't coach or have any position with Rutgers. It depends on what the contract says, and we don't know that.

Last edited:
Can she stop showing up and still get paid? Depends on what the contract says. I haven't seen it, but it's possible it says that the money is guaranteed even if she doesn't coach or have any position with Rutgers. It depends on what the contract says, and we don't know that.
That's the problem ,talking about a contract that no one can say what's exactly in it and a media that reports about CVS signing an extension but only reporting the money and years instead of providing information of what all is in the contract.
Being a public university Rutgers is probably obliged to provide that info if the media request it .

As for Stringer sitting at home being paid and no explanation being put forward by her or University, privacy laws might prevent giving that info out and both RU and C.Vivian Stringer decided it wasn't something for public knowledge.
As for collecting her pay while away from program, no one knows if contact between Vivian and her staff is going on and CVS is remotely running the program from her home.

It's frustrating, the lack of knowing, I admit, and all RUWBB fans want to know what's happening, but some of the anti Stringer crowd are using the lack of information for their never ending Stringer must go movement.
Whether it's her age, salary or implying RUWBB is a losing team m the anti Stringer bunch finds something to fit their CVS must go agenda and this is just another added to it.

If it was agreed by the employer and employee that the employee could work remotely from home, employee would be paid
If employee received a paid leave of absence from work, employees paid and knowledge of why on leave of absence might be held from public because of privacy laws .
If employee was granted an unpaid leave of absence privacy laws might keep the reason from being disclosed by employer and employer and employee decided that there was no reason to explain leave was unpaid absence because conditions in it might make for partial or full payment if employee started doing something for the employer on that leave and it was away from worksite .

No one knows for sure what's going on, but we all have our own opinions.
Mine is that CVS is running the program from home using her staff to implement what she wants done

With her multiple National Championships it is reasonable to guarantee her $5 million whether she coaches or not!

I'll give Hobbs the benefit of doubt and let him decide what the fans should know.
But not happy about the lack of information, even though it might be a health issue that should be kept private and not discuss because the public wants answers.
That's why I'll refrain from joining the $#!t or get iff the pot crowd.

Some of them might not really care about the lack of information, they'll use any reason, valid or not, to claim Viv must go.
No wonder NJ Government is in debt. Most taxpayers don’t get 8 months of paid sick time. Maybe 8 days?

Reactions: koleszar and RC83
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT