ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to start Gavin?

Who should start at the 4 if Mag is out?

• Hyatt

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Griffiths

Votes: 89 84.8%
  • Oskar

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • #FreeChol

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
This season is essentially over. I guess you can argue the NIT angle and I would like to see them play in it

Even so, is it time to start Gavin? (If Mag is still hurt)

@Eagleton96. Broke down the stats....

Gavin vs. Hyatt last 4 games:

Hyatt:
Mins: 21
Pts: 8.25
FG%: 32%
3ptFG%: 14%
Reb: 3.5
Blocks: 0.5

Griffiths:
Mins: 20
Pts: 5.75
FG%: 33%
3ptFG%: 38%
Reb: 4.5
Blocks: 1

Also keep in mind Hyatt has never seemed to play well as a starter for whatever reason

NO. Are we going to start Woolfolk over Cliff?

Things need to be looked at over stretches of games. How many times have fans gone back and forth on their opinion of Cliff based on the last game.

With that being said there was so much to like in yesterday's game from Woolfolk and Gavin.

The argument of taking some Hyatt and Simpson minutes and giving to others is definitely an open conversation.

Simpson is like a hitter batting .170. You know he isn't a good hitter, but he isn't a .170 hitter. However every time he gets up he makes an out. I am f'ing sick of it. JaMike we know is a bad hitter, but he plays a mean SS.

I would start Gavin on Thursday, partly as a reward for an energized performance at Lincoln, but start
Hyatt on Senior Day.
That's fair. Senior day I would fully expect seniors to start so discounting that game... Wisconsin and B1G tournament only for polling purposes

NO. Are we going to start Woolfolk over Cliff?

Things need to be looked at over stretches of games. How many times have fans gone back and forth on their opinion of Cliff based on the last game.

With that being said there was so much to like in yesterday's game from Woolfolk and Gavin.
Please read the post before commenting, thanks

I’ve been screaming for this. Gavin’s defense has vastly improved, he’s shooting 38.4% from 3 in his last 4 games. Let’s get him going with JMike and JWill. We need to open the floor with another guy so here is your optimal lineup:

Jmike
Noah
JWill
Gavin
Cliff

JMike and Noah are both smaller so defense has to pick up, but Gavin is showing he cannot be just islanded. Noah and Gavin on the perimeter works

Please read the post before commenting, thanks
You are cherry picking stats from Gavin in garbage time at Purdue.

Gavin was out of the rotation for Michigan game.
Gavin was last off the bench in the recent game.

1 game we are talking about....not 4.

I am OK with Gavin being back to his role 3-4 games ago where he is in as the 1st sub.

You are cherry picking stats from Gavin in garbage time at Purdue.

Gavin was out of the rotation for Michigan game.
Gavin was last off the bench in the recent game.

1 game we are talking about....not 4.

I am OK with Gavin being back to his role 3-4 games ago where he is in as the 1st sub.
Not cherry picking. Those are the full stats

Reactions: Scangg
Players develop over the course of the season. Of course you look at a player’s most recent performance(s) to gauge where they’re at.

I’ve been screaming for this. Gavin’s defense has vastly improved, he’s shooting 38.4% from 3 in his last 4 games. Let’s get him going with JMike and JWill. We need to open the floor with another guy so here is your optimal lineup:

Jmike
Noah
JWill
Gavin
Cliff

JMike and Noah are both smaller so defense has to pick up, but Gavin is showing he cannot be just islanded. Noah and Gavin on the perimeter works
Noah's defense on Tominaga was a major contributor to the loss

Jmike
Noah
JWill
Gavin
Cliff

38.4% and many of them total bombs from about 30 feet.

Everyone’s defense on Tominaga is a major contributor to the loss. That’s why they’ve won the most games at home of any college basketball team

Yeah, Noah earned more minutes with his play the last few games, but last night wasn’t good. He was late on a bunch of cuts and the killer 4 pt play that pretty much sealed it.

• Sad
It is difficult going off of one game because this is the most inconsistent team in the Pike era , but based off of yesterday , I am not starting Derek , JMike and JWill and JWill is the guaranteed starter . Playing Wolf and Cliff together as long as Egbole is healthy to back up Cliff if he gets in foul trouble has to be back on the table. Starting Gavin over Hyatt , assuming no Mag the rest of the way , and deciding between Derek , Noah , JMike or Austin for the last spot. Hyatt coming off the bench is better than anything we have seen from him as a starter ( excluding senior Day ) . Talk about a disappointing year, lack of rebounding , hitting threes ( especially on the road ) and yesterday ‘s 2 missed foul shots that would have cut it to 6 ( and actually 4 because we got a stop and converted the next trip ) . A number of disappointing performances by players this year but Hyatt has to be at the top of the heap.

Fans may not like it but Gavin is going to shoot 25+ footers for as long as he’s here. That’s his range and where he’s comfortable. Yes, he will get to a point where they perhaps don’t look as rushed but I don’t expect them to go away.

Players develop over the course of the season. Of course you look at a player’s most recent performance(s) to gauge where they’re at.
Yes this. Exactly. The same crowd screaming don’t look at the last 4 games (which is weird) is the same crowd screaming Pike doesn’t know how to develop guys and thus Pike won’t make it next year

Reactions: bitnez
Not cherry picking. Those are the full stats
It is cherry picking. Taking garbage time stats.

Facts….
Each game in that stretch coach had him 1st come in to the game later.

This is Game 1 of Gavin earning minutes and not game 4

As far as Hyatt tough to make any case for him

Reactions: socaldave
It is difficult going off of one game because this is the most inconsistent team in the Pike era , but based off of yesterday , I am not starting Derek , JMike and JWill and JWill is the guaranteed starter . Playing Wolf and Cliff together as long as Egbole is healthy to back up Cliff if he gets in foul trouble has to be back on the table. Starting Gavin over Hyatt , assuming no Mag the rest of the way , and deciding between Derek , Noah , JMike or Austin for the last spot. Hyatt coming off the bench is better than anything we have seen from him as a starter ( excluding senior Day ) . Talk about a disappointing year, lack of rebounding , hitting threes ( especially on the road ) and yesterday ‘s 2 missed foul shots that would have cut it to 6 ( and actually 4 because we got a stop and converted the next trip ) . A number of disappointing performances by players this year but Hyatt has to be at the top of the heap.
Wolf and Cliff together in the starting lineup was our worst starting lineup of the season

Facts….

So you don't want Gavin or Hyatt... Oskar

Can I get A #FreeChol??

Reactions: RUonBrain
No, JMike was shutting him down all game. He might have scored all his points on Noah or at least close to it
Okay so this is a great point. You’re right. JMike is going to be a defensive player of the year candidate one year. The biggest issue is Noah guarding a 2 because he’s smaller and then they try to free up a 3 on Noah which is a nightmare. Any time Noah ends up in the paint on a rebound forget it.

BUT - Derek simply doesn’t open the fooor enough. Kid has so much heart but no shooting and also for some reason cannot finish on a fast break besides getting the stolen ball from JMike that play vs Michigan.

It’s tough to have JMike, Simpson, Gavin because they just keep a defender glued on Gavin and let JMike and Simpson shoot freely. Noah frees that up a bit, but yes you take a bit of loss at defense

Win the tournament! Gavin looked good out there last game. Looked to be more confident and the shots weren't as rushed. He's coming along nicely but Hyatt has been the most consistent apart from jwill. Start him, if he's laying an egg sit him..Gavins minutes should increase because he can help the team win and after last game he can definitely do that. He should play more because he's looking better and better not because they've given up on the season. Never surrender! Lol

I think he's definitely earned more minutes. I don't think he's "earned" it yet, but I selfishly want to see him start to see the results of getting into a groove earlier. While also understanding that he could just implode earlier.

Wolf and Cliff together in the starting lineup was our worst starting lineup of the season
It didn’t work early but not sure it wouldn’t work in the Big 10 against Edey and Kaufman Read , yesterday against Mast and Isiah or Gary , or against Sissoko and Hall , or Against Maryland ‘s Reese and Geronimo , or Indiana’s against Ware and Reneau , or Wisconsin’s Wahl and Crowl , or against Northwestern, etc. etc.

Win the tournament! Gavin looked good out there last game. Looked to be more confident and the shots weren't as rushed. He's coming along nicely but Hyatt has been the most consistent apart from jwill. Start him, if he's laying an egg sit him..Gavins minutes should increase because he can help the team win and after last game he can definitely do that. He should play more because he's looking better and better not because they've given up on the season. Never surrender! Lol
Hyatt on the road has been a total disaster. Unfortunate as he waited his turn after Ron graduated but has never delivered.

Facts….

Cherry picking is when you selectively pick some stats in a biased way to make a point. That's not what's going on here. You are saying that there is important context that needs to be looked at when judging the data; like when did he get those stats in games? Fair enough. But these are still just a straight reporting of the last 4 games. Not cherry picked.

Also saw Wolf go out and aggressively guard on the perimeter. We have not seen that all year. He also rebounded better yesterday but was atrocious against Minnesota. The inconsistency of each player on this team has just been hard for fans or coaches to figure out.

Cherry picking is when you selectively pick some stats in a biased way to make a point. That's not what's going on here. You are saying that there is important context that needs to be looked at when judging the data; like when did he get those stats in games? Fair enough. But these are still just a straight reporting of the last 4 games. Not cherry picked.
cherry picking is taking 4 games instead of 5
cherry picking is using garbage time data to make a point
chery plcking is ignoring defense

cherry picking is taking 4 games instead of 5
cherry picking is using garbage time data to make a point
chery plcking is ignoring defense
That's not cherry picking. You might say selecting last 4 instead of last 5 is possibly a weak example of cherry picking. But overall, if the question is: "how has he been playing recently?"...then looking at the last 4 is as reasonable as anything.

Gavin looked his best yesterday. If we play him a lot the rest of the way, there is a chance he gets better and there is a chance he comes back next year.

Hyatt on the road has been a total disaster. Unfortunate as he waited his turn after Ron graduated but has never delivered.
He also had Mag miss games end of season back to back years and failed to rise to the challenge and deliver sadly. Back to back years now he's fading down the stretch of the season

Reactions: goru7
That's not cherry picking. You might say selecting last 4 instead of last 5 is possibly a weak example of cherry picking. But overall, if the question is: "how has he been playing recently?"...then looking at the last 4 is as reasonable as anything.
I chose last 4 because that’s what ESPN shows + he played 7 and 8 minutes games 5 and 6 ago so really using that data would be cherry picking, no? Don’t you want relevant data and substantial data? Cherry picking would be saying Gavin made 100% of the threes he he made last game. Not giving you stats that show Hyatt had more points scored lol. Also, Hyatt played 15 more minutes than Gavin in a garbage game vs Michigan in which he had 6 of his rebounds, 3 of his assists and 10 of his points. If you want to talk garbage time…

I’m a big Hyatt fan because of his toughness and just overall loyalty to this program. It’s something we all want these days. But he’s way more effective as a 6th man and Gavin is the future. It’s time to let him go and get really great quality minutes now. Let’s see if it was truly all garbage or the start of great development

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT