ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a "wtf" game in our future this season?

RUforester72

All Conference
Jul 23, 2014
Bend Oregon
Which one could that be? Army? Kansas? Hopefully we are well beyond wtf games but you never know. As a devoted RU fan I dont want to ever experience that again.

Almost every program has one on a regular basis. It is simply a matter of degree as to what defines a WTF game. We are in one of a hell of a division that puts a ton of pressure on the program to not miss every opportunity to win a game. I believe that this mind set is actually a positive to the team to not look ahead. I know we all are used to Flood's "one game season" mantra, but it really has a reality to it when you look at our daunting schedule within the Eastern division of the BIG.
We are, again, not expected to do too much this season by the media writers. Good!
I think Flood is the perfect person to turn this lack of respect into a positive force to go out EVERY game to not take anything for granted. We most certainly will not win every game (Sorry Al), but we should win most of them when you look at the schedule. Making another bowl is a true win for us when you look at the situation we are in.
Baring catastrophic injuries, we should be able to win the games we are favored in and maybe one or two of those we are not.

Most DEFINITELY!!! BUT, it will be the osu coaching staff and their team that will be saying it [cheers][cheers]!!!!

Reactions: MADHAT1
We must not forget Wisconsin and Nebraska along with OSU as wtf games.
Michigan and the Nits will be expected victories by our Scarlet Knights and can't be considered wtf games.
[banana]:cool2:

I don't know what a "WTF Game" is . I don't take any game for granted. RU will be a heavy favorite vs. NFSU, Kansas and probably Army. The WSU game is a game that could go either way..i don't know why some think this should be a comfortable win. The game could've went either way last year and this year the same thing may be in order. RU is going to be an underdog in most of the others, except maybe MD at home. The game @ Indiana is a key game for this season and may determine whether or not RU gets to a bowl imo.

I don't know what a "WTF Game" is . I don't take any game for granted. RU will be a heavy favorite vs. NFSU, Kansas and probably Army. The WSU game is a game that could go either way..i don't know why some think this should be a comfortable win. The game could've went either way last year and this year the same thing may be in order. RU is going to be an underdog in most of the others, except maybe MD at home. The game @ Indiana is a key game for this season and may determine whether or not RU gets to a bowl imo.
---------
I think some might look past the Washington State game, because we probably will be favored by several points and it is at home....that game was a death struggle and might be again......both teams have changes on the field, which will be ready?

Last year they had two WTF games. One a victory and one a lose. WSU was the win. When you see what happened to that team the rest of their season you wonder why RU didn't crush them. The Penn State game was the other WTF game. Like why do the keep letting Nova throw the ball, WTF.
I don't see any true WTF loses this year. Rutgers only has 3 WTF opponents on the schedule this season. Norfolk, Kansas and Army. They aren't losing to any of them. WSU should be on the list except struggled to win last year.

Reactions: Bones131
We must not forget Wisconsin and Nebraska along with OSU as wtf games.
Michigan and the Nits will be expected victories by our Scarlet Knights and can't be considered wtf games.
[banana]:cool2:

Baaaaa Haaaaa you won't get within 17 pts of PSU!!!!

Indiana and WSU are two of the expected victories that I feel could easily go the other way.

And what exactly gives you such confidence? You realize you would need to score at least 17 to beat us by that much. You guys got 5 int's last year and scored 13

He's trolling. Should be a good game this year. I give us an advantage purely because it's at Beaver Stadium and freshmen QBs don't always fare too well there. Don't think it's a WTF game for you guys. You guys should roll through your easy games. While you may be favored in a few games in the B1G, I wouldn't call any losses there WTF losses.

last year there were no WTF games....RU was on the same level as Michigan, Penn State, and Maryland. Some years you have them, some you don't. Obviously Kansas and Indiana stick out as the potential suspects. If they do have one you hope its balanced out by another school such as Wisky or Nebby have a WTF against RU

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Kansas has about 65 scholarship players and will be Shea-level bad this year. I don't think there's going to be any WTF games. RU will win the games it should win and lose the games it should lose.

Last year PSU was the WTF game, but not everyone sees it that way since previous WTF games were against teams like UNH, Buffalo, Villanova and UCONN.

last year there were no WTF games....RU was on the same level as Michigan, Penn State, and Maryland. Some years you have them, some you don't. Obviously Kansas and Indiana stick out as the potential suspects. If they do have one you hope its balanced out by another school such as Wisky or Nebby have a WTF against RU

Army and Kansas jump out at me, with Indiana a distant 3rd. Norfolk is one of those games where if we lose we should forfeit the rest of the season. Hopefully we take care of business in all 4 of those games and then some.

Joe P.

Which one could that be? Army? Kansas? Hopefully we are well beyond wtf games but you never know. As a devoted RU fan I dont want to ever experience that again.
Of course there is. Its just simple math. There is alot of variance in the scores of CFB games. The standard deviation from the expected results is something like two TDs. Which means that a team should perform 28 points worse than expected at least once a season.

IMO the Maryland game came closest to being our WTF game last year. As someone said, they were considered to be on about the same level as us, maybe a slight favorite; but they were literally blowing our doors off until the last minute of the first half.

Somehow we pulled ourselves together and rallied to produce one of our most improbable wins ever - and it did take a little luck. It could easily have been a 50 point loss if our players had given up on the game.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
IMO the Maryland game came closest to being our WTF game last year. As someone said, they were considered to be on about the same level as us, maybe a slight favorite; but they were literally blowing our doors off until the last minute of the first half.

Somehow we pulled ourselves together and rallied to produce one of our most improbable wins ever - and it did take a little luck. It could easily have been a 50 point loss if our players had given up on the game.
-------

Going by memory, we were a touchdown or better underdogs against Washington state, Navy and Maryland..

..you cannot really call a game you are an underdog and lose, a WTF game...... WTF usually indicates blowing a game you were supposed to win......it sure did seem like a WTF when we fumbled the ball with the game in hand at Maryland, however

Good post. IMO if the late hit on Janarion Grant's punt return near the end of the half doesn't happen, that game ends up something like 58-24 Maryland. Team gets a LOT of credit for the heart they showed in that comeback.

Joe P.

Flood might have broken the WTF game curse last year. Hopefully we will never have one again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT