ADVERTISEMENT

Is this some of work action or protest

Doesn’t take emotion out of the game. You just can’t gloat and taunt in the opponent’s face.

an MD player hit a three, turned and faced the other way as he ran back to play D. He flexed and shouted toward no one in particular. That’s emotion and that’s fine.
The announcers strongly disagree with you, two games in a row now.

And this is not a "complain that the refs are biased against Rutgers" thing because both of those games had the terrible calls go against both teams.

the same announcers who said Cliff got elbowed by Key in a different part of his body than replay showed ? They often don’t even watch the replay they comment on half the time.

Anyhow, I do agree Noah’s T was lame and improper. Too mild, not a taunt. Same as the Purdue makeup call.

But I think AWill’s was a legit T. Definitely taunting and unsportsmanlike.

Well no. Key plays for Ohio State. We haven't played Ohio State in the last two games.
Speaking of announcers generally. Their opinions are nearly worthless because they often dont pay close attention, hard as that may be to accept,

Speaking of announcers generally. Their opinions are nearly worthless because they often dont pay close attention, hard as that may be to accept,
Announcers can certainly be wrong. It's rare ime for announcers to criticize officiating anywhere close to as extensively as they did in both of the last two games.

Reactions: cm_13 and RUChoppin
I’m with you on Noah’s T, but sometimes refs do feel inclined to set the tone early even on a questionable call. Then the same call a minute later on Purdue, so, what’s the fuss about ?

AWill’s T was deserved, no question. Direct, in your face taunt.

Complaining about refereeing in every loss is not what this thread is about. I am kind of interested in the point that Loyal has raised...
This is the third game (out of last 4) this has happen to Rutgers AND the B1G has been talking about "it" (AKA not just the Rutgers games but overall) so you're off base here. Something went down and the refs owe it to the teams to let them know what the "new rules are" so players can adjust (clearly Pike & co. doesn't. know). Watched several other conf. games today and NOTHING like this was seen.

The 2024 B1G Paul Mulcahy Technical imposed from 2021-2022 and 2022-23 Conference referee convention? (referenced as the T-M)

Seriously? The color guys for B1G all played and several were stars and Bardo especially watches EVERYTHING.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I’m with you on Noah’s T, but sometimes refs do feel inclined to set the tone early even on a questionable call. Then the same call a minute later on Purdue, so, what’s the fuss about ?

AWill’s T was deserved, no question. Direct, in your face taunt.
The call on Noah was so bad they made up for it just after. man Shelby I like your technical observations but I find your " color" comments out there. Direct "in your face"? No. he looked towards the player. Did he say something to him directly? did he move over towards him after the block? No. he didn't .

Reactions: Loyal-Son
yelling “And 1” has always been an automatic T in college and HS basketball, I have no idea why (got T’d up for it when I played in HS).

As for the other stuff, I do know refs are trying to take the n-word out of some of the banter. So if you drill a 3 and turn to the guy who you’ve been talking to all game and hit him with a “wasssup n***a” it’s an auto T. Not saying thats what our guys did at all, just something I read earlier this season.

Reactions: dconifer
This is the third game (out of last 4) this has happen to Rutgers AND the B1G has been talking about "it" (AKA not just the Rutgers games but overall) so you're off base here. Something went down and the refs owe it to the teams to let them know what the "new rules are" so players can adjust (clearly Pike & co. doesn't. know). Watched several other conf. games today and NOTHING like this was seen.

The 2024 B1G Paul Mulcahy Technical imposed from 2021-2022 and 2022-23 Conference referee convention? (referenced as the T-M)
Yes, you are right; discussion about Rutgers unfairly getting hit up with extra technical fouls is legit here. I was just disappointed to see the general "the refs are out to get us" posts without anything relating to what the opening post was honing in on, because I too noticed the rash of technicals in basketball as well, and was curious about it.

I realize now that wasn't my place to make a snide remark to try to keep the thread in it's own lane...

I don't know whether it's a sign of officiating getting worse, or it just being more socially acceptable to discuss it, but more coaches, players, and commentators are starting to call it out publicly.

Seriously? The color guys for B1G all played and several were stars and Bardo especially watches EVERYTHING.
Ex-players or not, announcers usually run their mouths on irrelevant stuff instead of accurately analyzing the game. They get lost filling air time and don't always pay attention. Whether about golfing with Gene Keady, a favorite pizza joint in Bloomington, and somehow every single arena they are at is the "one of the loudest in the country". Every player is "the first to begin practice and the last to leave"

So yes, announcers know the game but that gets lost in their ramblings. Bardo said Cliff got hit in the windpipe when he did not. He said Cliff got a high ankle sprain in the first half of a game when he did not (and came back in the game at the next break).

Nobody should believe anything Bardo or any other announcer says is necessarily true. We pay closer attention to games than they do.

Ex-players or not, announcers usually run their mouths on irrelevant stuff instead of accurately analyzing the game. They get lost filling air time and don't always pay attention. Whether about golfing with Gene Keady, a favorite pizza joint in Bloomington, and somehow every single arena they are at is the "one of the loudest in the country". Every player is "the first to begin practice and the last to leave"

So yes, announcers know the game but that gets lost in their ramblings. Bardo said Cliff got hit in the windpipe when he did not. He said Cliff got a high ankle sprain in the first half of a game when he did not (and came back in the game at the next break).

Nobody should believe anything Bardo or any other announcer says is necessarily true. We pay closer attention to games than they do.
I would be ok with less rambling and "schtick" too but I wouldn't say the B1G guys are that bad compared to some of the older guys trying to remain relevant and keep their trademarks alive.
There is some room for a couple of fellas watching the game and having some fun and banter.

I would be ok with less rambling and "schtick" too but I wouldn't say the B1G guys are that bad compared to some of the older guys trying to remain relevant and keep their trademarks alive.
There is some room for a couple of fellas watching the game and having some fun and banter.
yeah, absolutely. point was, just because Bardo or some other talking head says something, it doesn't make it true. Much of what they say is thoughtless nonsense.

Yeah, Cliff has a high ankle sprain....and two minutes later when Cliff returns Bardo doesn't even bother to correct what he said just before.

They sure talk, it's what they're paid to do. It's just blather.

yeah, absolutely. point was, just because Bardo or some other talking head says something, it doesn't make it true. Much of what they say is thoughtless nonsense.

Yeah, Cliff has a high ankle sprain....and two minutes later when Cliff returns Bardo doesn't even bother to correct what he said just before.

They sure talk, it's what they're paid to do. It's just blather.
Bardo gives his opinion on the rules and how they are applied during the game. I don't think he has done a lot of rulebook study. My general impression of basketball announcers is that they are correct on the rules about 50% of the time. I really enjoy listening to Bardo more than most announcers, but one must separate the fact from the fiction. Also, since Simpson got his T a few games ago, I can't understand how our guys haven't figured out how to keep their mouths shut.

Reactions: Shelby65
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT