ADVERTISEMENT

Ismael Massoud

Today is the first day that Division I coaches can go off campus to see or visit with members of the 2019 and 2020 classes.

With Bruce Pearl and Auburn looming this weekend for Massoud's next visit (LSU vs Auburn in football is a big game), it was very smart and aggressive for the staff to continue to show Massoud and his family that he is the 1 and only priority.

Hoping he doesn't fall into the Pearl trap and gets past this weeks visit and can stay uncommitted through his RU visit for the blackout game here vs Illinois on the 6th....RU will need to stay on Massoud through other visits to Georgia Tech and Wake Forest as well the next few weekends.

Reactions: gregkoko
We get the last visit, right? I know it’s always tough as you never know what happens down south in the recruiting game.

But for some reason I think we win this one. Not saying there’s anything wrong with these other schools but I think Massoud really likes Pikiell and Rutgers and that’s what gets us his commitment.

I would imagine that a kid that is looking at Harvard wouldn't get swept up in the moment and see all his options to a rational conclusion. Granted, logic doesn't seem to work in these situations all the time but hopefully it does in this case.

Doesn't he want to be closer to home? Auburn makes little sense.

maybe Auburn has already offered everyone in his family a job and relocation benefits to boot. just sayin...;)
Auburn wouldn't do that. Some Auburn booster might, but not Auburn.

I'm not worried. I've already Forecasted Massoud to Rutgers. They need to hurry up and make Forecasting live. I've got three correct so far and the rest of my forecasts are "undecided".

Edit: Correction, I've got four correct so far (I forgot that Jae'lyn Withers committed to Louisville yesterday) and the rest of my forecasts are "undecided".

Last edited:
This kid seems to value education (Harvard, GT, Wake, Rutgers). Why Auburn is in his top 5 is just baffling.

And, yeah, I know Bruce Pearl is a whiz-bang recruiter, but Auburn is not a good academic school (#115 on U.S. News & World Report rankings, which I know are B.S., but just citing this as a measuring stick).

This kid seems to value education (Harvard, GT, Wake, Rutgers). Why Auburn is in his top 5 is just baffling.

And, yeah, I know Bruce Pearl is a whiz-bang recruiter, but Auburn is not a good academic school (#115 on U.S. News & World Report rankings, which I know are B.S., but just citing this as a measuring stick).
With all due respect for academics, Auburn was a 4 seed last year in the NCAA tourney. I still think its either us or Auburn.

I'm not worried. I've already Forecasted Massoud to Rutgers. They need to hurry up and make Forecasting live. I've got three correct so far and the rest of my forecasts are "undecided".

Edit: Correction, I've got four correct so far (I forgot that Jae'lyn Withers committed to Louisville yesterday) and the rest of my forecasts are "undecided".

OK, I'll trust you on that.

Can you clear one thing up? If you have 4 correct so far and the rest undecided, where does Massoud fit in? Are you that confident in your RU forecast you have him as one of the 4? Or is it 4 correct, plus Massoud foretasted RU, and then the rest undecided?

OK, I'll trust you on that.

Can you clear one thing up? If you have 4 correct so far and the rest undecided, where does Massoud fit in? Are you that confident in your RU forecast you have him as one of the 4? Or is it 4 correct, plus Massoud foretasted RU, and then the rest undecided?
I will attempt to clarify, but I might lie you even more confused lol.

Massoud is "one of the rest of my forecasts that are undecided".

Undecided = kids who have not verbally committed

Luke Anderson (Iowa State), Hunter Cattoor (Wofford), Joe Toussaint (Iowa) and Jae'lyn Withers (Louisville) are the four I have correctly Forecast so far.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

You just made my week on Monday.....!

I like our chances here

I think I love you, Russ...

".

I find it very strange that you draw the distinction. Athletes have been paid to go to Auburn University for 40 years that I know of. So you are saying that if the money doesn't come from the general student funds that it makes a difference? It's a dirty school. Has been for decades. You know that right?

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
I find it very strange that you draw the distinction. Athletes have been paid to go to Auburn University for 40 years that I know of. So you are saying that if the money doesn't come from the general student funds that it makes a difference? It's a dirty school. Has been for decades. You know that right?
I'm very familiar with Auburn's reputation. Remember I do cover basketball recruiting for a SEC team school.

I draw the distinction because I think it is relevant. The end result is the same but it deserves to be pointed out whether the money comes from a booster or the school.

Reactions: biazza38
I can’t tell you the importance of massoud...both as a fit on the team and the recruiting momentunm

Not to mention doubling the 4 star recruits on the roster from 3 (2018-2019) to 6 (2019/2020)

That will be a big ten roster ...with the prospect of 3 ship for the class of 2020 m...

Things could really be looking up big time

Reactions: koko2315
This is wishcasting but getting a commitment from Massoud on his visit would also wrap up the 2019 class and let our coaches focus on 2020 and beyond. Of course there could always be a transfer to open up another scholarship, but still.

Reactions: biazza38
Getting Massoud would be monstrous for this program. We’d be talking Big Dance in a few seasons.

Reactions: dkostus
Re you saying that no Rutgers athlete has ever gotten money from a booster or just that Auburn does it more?

The reality is that all schools have been bending the rules for decades. My grandfather was offered a football scholarship to Notre Dame in the 1920's as long as he went to a local Catholic college for a year to prep -- all on their dime. This was long before redshirting rules.

Bottom line is that illegal gifts by boosters are hard to track but is done by all schools. Some do it much more than others.

I still remember SI last year mentioned that Auburn wanted to get rid of a major and athletic department complained so the major remained. Wish they wrote what it was. Old joke was that a tree could get into Auburn.

Could someone remind me of when Massoud visits RU, and has he said anything about when he’ll make his decision. Thanks.

Looks like another recruit who visited Harvard with Massoud committed to Harvard.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/09/12/idan-tretout-to-harvard/
BOOM!!!! Thanks for posting. This is great news.

Now I have six Forecasts correct, zero wrong and a bunch of kids still undecided. [banana]

EDIT: Looks like our system didn't register my Harvard Forecast. Perhaps I didn't click "save." I see a message that says "No previous forecasts for Idan Tretout" yet he is in my list of "Current Forecasts." Sigh. I was feeling myself for a few minutes there lol

Now I have six Forecasts correct, zero wrong and a bunch of kids still undecided. [banana]

EDIT: Looks like our system didn't register my Harvard Forecast. Perhaps I didn't click "save." I see a message that says "No previous forecasts for Idan Tretout" yet he is in my list of "Current Forecasts." Sigh. I was feeling myself for a few minutes there lol
Let’s hope your record stays true!

Reactions: Russ Wood

with all due respect there is only 1 forecast I hope you still nail :)

If it makes you feel better, I remember that you got Montez Mathis correct

Could someone remind me of when Massoud visits RU, and has he said anything about when he’ll make his decision. Thanks.

I believe Massoud’s visit to the banks is in the first half of October. He had 5 visits on consecutive weekends starting in September and we were last. I don’t know, but I would think he has set up these visits with the intention of committing in the November signing period. Anyone else??

I REALLY, REALLY hope he is Scarlet.

Reactions: zebnatto
Even though GT and Wake are listed, I've got to believe that right now it's between Auburn and us, and Harvard (for entrely different reasons). Of course, anything can happen at these visits.

Personally, I'd almost never say "no" to an Ivy education...except it I am a legit NBA prospect. There's no question that better competition should prepare him better for that. Of course, these guys probably all dream of the NBA, and he's a shooter with size, so I'm liking our chances here. Provided he takes all of his visits, I sure do like that we are last.

We get the last visit, right? I know it’s always tough as you never know what happens down south in the recruiting game.

But for some reason I think we win this one. Not saying there’s anything wrong with these other schools but I think Massoud really likes Pikiell and Rutgers and that’s what gets us his commitment.
----
yes, but you always have to fear that the youngster does not impulsively pull the trigger while on a visit..... we had a football recruit unexpectedly verbal to Pitt, along with a number of other visitors, when he went out there, not intending to do so before hand...

if Massoud is level headed and wants to stick to the plan, we would have a good shot.....

I think Rutgers visit which occurs last should be viewed as a positive because of all the interaction in the past with this recruit.The other visits Massoud likely will use to see how comfortable he feels at those schools as compared to Rutgers.In a sense its similar to the Mulcahy recruiting where the cumulative attention wins out.

Reactions: gregkoko
----
yes, but you always have to fear that the youngster does not impulsively pull the trigger while on a visit..... we had a football recruit unexpectedly verbal to Pitt, along with a number of other visitors, when he went out there, not intending to do so before hand...

if Massoud is level headed and wants to stick to the plan, we would have a good shot.....

If he's looking at Harvard, there's a good chance he's level-headed, and, IMO, he's probably less likely to react impulsively.

Reactions: wheezer
How about Massoud committing after Oct 6th visit and joining us for Midnight Madness on Oct 12... sounds like a plan!!!

According to the article where he discusses his five OV's, he does plan to decide shortly after he finishes his visits.

Russ Wood said, "I was feeling myself for a few minutes there lol"

TMI Russ, TMI!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:[roll]

Reactions: Russ Wood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT