ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball It's Official — new WBB head coach

I wish her the best snd will be in my front row seat watching her. I hope she gets a high powered staff that I think CVS lacked since Staley, Law, etc. she certainly has a bare cubbord!

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I didn’t see the entire press conference. But from what I did see I came away somewhat impressed. Let’s hope she can hit the ground running and turnaround some of the relationships that have been strained locally over the years. I will be rooting for her to succeed
Politi asked the elephant in the room question about what happened when things did not go so well at Penn State. Coach Washington vaguely referred to external factors impacting the program. Wondering if it could have been the lingering effects of the Sandusky scandal, PSU suing the NCAA (2013) and the subsequent decision/settlement in 2015? Not looking to make excuses, but the men's basketball team was floundering around the same time frame under Chambers, and football was treading water until the 2016 season (Franklin's 3rd year). That still does not explain Coach Washington's final 2 years.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Sad about the name recognition, as if you read her biography you will realize she was a very important part of the WNBA's early labor negotiations. Was, among those of us who followed the "W" in the day, well known for it. As well as for earning her law degree, probably why she was so involved in the labor organizing, by the way.
It would be nice if someone in RUWBB media would put together a highlight reel of Coquese's vast achievements at ND, the W, as a coach, as a student, as a labor leader. It could serve as a history lesson for our young ladies to let them know who stands before them.

I did notice some WNBA photos flashed on the screen at the press conference. It took me back for a second. Those things go a long way toward ensuring relatability and credibility with youngsters

Reactions: eso1989
That still does not explain Coach Washington's final 2 years.
From my recollection of those last two years, she just didn't have enough talent left.

She was relying on her All-American caliber guard as the centerpiece of her team. Problem is, she had unfortunately suffered major injury after major injury. She did her best to play through it but was only a shadow of the player she originally was.

The other complimentary players around her were okay but not conf. champ, Elite Eight , Sweet Sixteen level.

Reactions: Knight Shift
She was a train wreck and her program was revolving door. Other than a four year window it was a mess. She must interview well because she was a mess at Penn state. Her program was such a disaster people actually was Portland cluster back.
Bill Belichek didn’t do so well on his first Head Coaching job. Experience is a great teacher.

She played an up tempo high scoring aggressive style of play. They shot threes all day long and was a guard heavy team. They struggled inside and defensively. They often played three guards. This seemed to kill then in tournaments because when they had a off shooting night they couldn’t pound the ball. They would struggle against better teams who were more balanced. When they had guard like Maggie Lucas they were successful.
If have to comment again.

"They often played 3 guards and...........often struggled against teams that were more balanced".

It's obvious you have not watched basketball in 15 years and definitely not the last 7 years .. 😂 lol, everyone plays 3 guards.

Last edited:
I remember watching the program spiral downward, it was very strange. Her teams played a fast pace and were opportunistic on the defensive end but the physical nature they once brought had disappeared her last several years. She brought in highly regarded recruits and a few transfers but most didn't pan out or were overrated.

After what we and the players went through this past season with Tim, I can't wait to see what's in store for the next few years. We can only go upward.
Tim was a disaster but I blame CVS for what's happened to the bb program.

Reactions: toby83
Tim was a disaster but I blame CVS for what's happened to the bb program.
I have to agree CVS needs to be held accountable.
I feel her refusal to accept the fact she couldn't coach any longer and delayed retiring cause every problem the program is facing now and wghat CW has to overcome;

Won't knock CW, but if Stringer retired when she should have , there would have been a lot more canidates willing to accept the RU WBB HC position , then when CW was offered the job.

Tim ran the program to the ground, Vivian put him in that position by refusing to admit her time was up and allow the program to move on hrom her when they could have come out far better and not lik the mess she made by forcing Hobbs to wait for her to retire

Reactions: RULoyal

Coquese is at work trying to bring in this Class of '23 prospect that she was likely recruiting to ND. It's a good thing that Coach and Nielle have a sisterly bond.

Competition is stiff for bringing Jasmine here to RU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT