ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball It's Official — new WBB head coach

She won big ten coach of the year 3 years in a row. Hard to call that a failure. That’s actually very impressive. You can say she finished horribly for sure.

After her initial success her top assistant / recruiting coordinator got the head job at Clemson. She came back to Penn St a few years later (after being let go) but didn’t have the same success. Interesting to note that this coach is now an assistant/lead recruiter at UNC with Banghart.

To me it’s all about the staff she hires. Maybry, a NJ native, is the lead recruiter at ND per a poster on the Boneyard but the 3rd assistant. Maybe she comes home and moves up a seat.

Don't think that was the case. She built her own roster and culture that she succeeded with. She just couldn't sustain it for some reason.

She took over for Portland in 2007-8. By the time she finally had great success, Portland's players were long gone. And Portland had brought an end to her own culture with her stance on sexuality.

post the last 5 which should be the most relevant..any tradition Penn State had under Portland was gone by the time they fired Coquese

That had nothing to do with it..she crashed and burned

I don't know for sure that it did. Just like you don't know that it didn't. I know that wouldn't have helped recruiting chances if I were a top player or the parent of a top player. At that time, PSU had some rebuilding to do to it's image that I'm sure steered some elite athletes away.

Idk, maybe there were other factors to her sharp decline there atPSU. If you find out what they were, please let us all know. I'll do the same.

Wonder if any Penn St posters that closely follow WBB have comments or thoughts on her as a coach and recruiter. Agree with others in thread that in the end this may come down to who is helping coach on the bench with her.

One thing that is odd is that there is not / was not a peep off of the Stringer tree. Not sure what to make of that.

I don't think she finished strong at State Penn. Hopefully she used the time at ND to learn and evolve her coaching and recruiting to take advantage of a second opportunity in the B1G.
She was a train wreck and her program was revolving door. Other than a four year window it was a mess. She must interview well because she was a mess at Penn state. Her program was such a disaster people actually was Portland cluster back.

She was a train wreck and her program was revolving door. Other than a four year window it was a mess. She must interview well because she was a mess at Penn state. Her program was such a disaster people actually was Portland cluster back.
Thanks, PSU. Nuff said.

After what we and the players went through this past season with Tim, I can't wait to see what's in store for the next few years. We can only go upward.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Whatever happened to wait and see? It's the way it is nowadays. Complainers are taking over the world...😀

Something happened at psu for her to go from 3 time B1G Coach of the Year to the worse results later. It's not like she forgot how to coach.

It’s all about having good assistants. Keep in mind that when CVS had that great success from 2006 to 2009 or so that she had Marianne Stanley on staff along with Jolette Law and Carlene Mitchell. A real combination of recruiters and X and O coaching. Not to mention CVS.

Spoke to friends that are high school and AAU coaches and train many girls in central jersey and the shore area about this hire. Very under impressed. They expected more from this hire. They expected someone that has a better history or someone on the rise. This is neither. This is someone that flamed out at PSU with good players and hasn’t been well received on the recruiting trail in her post PSU career.
CVS delaying her retirement and the uncertainty of her ongoing role were also mentioned as a reason that scared away more than one candidate.

Crazee, and MADHAT, what were her W/L numbers after 2014? Just curious.
I;m just trying to be positive, but there are a lot of negitives that can be seen in her last years at Penn St.Since the season hasn't started and the seemingly chaotic coaching hunt , I'll try to post positive thoughts, but can't defend Coquese's hire, looking at her overall record at PSU,especial;y her last couple of years.
Bac posted her last 5 year record, so no need for me to post it or even try to defend the hire based on last 5 years there.
Just hope she proves better than that and more kike the 3 years I posted

edited to add :
Coquese Washington (Big Ten) (2007–2019)​
2007–08Coquese Washington13–184–1410th
2008–09Coquese Washington11–186–127th
2009–10Coquese Washington17–148–106thWNIT First Round
2010–11Coquese Washington25–1011–52ndNCAA Second Round
2011–12Coquese Washington26–713–31stNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13Coquese Washington26–614–21stNCAA Second Round
2013–14Coquese Washington24–813–31stNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15Coquese Washington6–243–1513th
2015–16Coquese Washington12–196–1211th
2016–17Coquese Washington21-119-77thWNIT Third Round
2017–18Coquese Washington16-166-1011thWNIT First round
2018–19Coquese Washington12-185-1312th
Coquese Washington:209–16998–111

Last edited:
Can someone familiar with her coaching style offer a brief summary of how her teams played and the types of players she recruits. Defense first? Run and gun? Does she have pony tails who can shoot? Full court pressure? What can we expect see?

• Love
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
There is something off with her record and somewhat of an erratic finish to her time spent at PSU. We’ll know soon enough if she has any recruiting chops or portal cred. The salary is quite good at 770k is that for 5 years ? Mediocrity pays well in this day of high inflation.

Reactions: 1coastalknight
Well one thing’s for sure. If Coach Washington is able to win here, Hobbs is a genius. I believe we only have 3 returning players, so you’d have to be a magician to succeed this coming season.

Ugh. That doesn't bode well for us.

Calling a coach that made the post season 7 of her 12 years at PSU a “failure” is the bad joke.
She was. First of all using the WNIT to pad those number is a joke. She made the real post season 4 times. The reality is when she was younger hip coach. The manage to put together a few good classes. She owes her success to Maggie Lucas who carried that team to those 4 NCAA tournaments. When Maggie graduated Washington had no clue how to run or manage the program. She no longer was the new young hip coach. The roster was a revolving door. They were a poorly coached team that had no direction.

I have no doubt that Hobbs loved that she was a minority with a law degree. I have no doubt that the law degree was huge for him. I am sure he glossed over the totality of her career and focused on the 4 year run and the law connection.

She was. First of all using the WNIT to pad those number is a joke. She made the real post season 4 times. The reality is when she was younger hip coach. The manage to put together a few good classes. She owes her success to Maggie Lucas who carried that team to those 4 NCAA tournaments. When Maggie graduated Washington had no clue how to run or manage the program. She no longer was the new young hip coach. The roster was a revolving door. They were a poorly coached team that had no direction.

I have no doubt that Hobbs loved that she was a minority with a law degree. I have no doubt that the law degree was huge for him. I am sure he glossed over the totality of her career and focused on the 4 year run and the law connection.
One player was responsible for 3 straight B1G Championships ? A star player certainly helps a lot but can't be the only reason for 3 #1 finishes. But, with that said, if she finds her next Maggie at Rutgers she'll win 3 straight again ? Lol

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Whatever happened to wait and see? It's the way it is nowadays. Complainers are taking over the world...😀

Something happened at psu for her to go from 3 time B1G Coach of the Year to the worse results later. It's not like she forgot how to coach.
She didn’t forget how to coach. She just didn’t have a star player who put the team on her back. Maggie Lucas made those teams. We see it all the time in sports. A great talent can make a coach look better.

One player was responsible for 3 straight B1G Championships ? A star player certainly helps a lot but can't be the only reason for 3 #1 finishes. But, with that said, if she finds her next Maggie at Rutgers she'll win 3 straight again ? Lol
Pretty much. In a sport like womens basketball one player make a huge impact. Yes she had other solid players around her but the team clearly fell apart when she graduated.

Pretty much. In a sport like womens basketball one player make a huge impact. Yes she had other solid players around her but the team clearly fell apart when she graduated.
So, she could do it again. Time will tell.

thank you for your input here

How many B1G HC's won 3 B1G Championships in a row since 2008? Plus, a 2nd place?

Reactions: needmorecowbell

Your position is that Hobbs prefers a black lawyer to a good coach?

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT