ADVERTISEMENT

ITT we discuss RU Athletics balance sheet and what is possible '18 or '19

RUskoolie

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2007
So this was written by Sarge in Oct of 2017 (a bit lengthy post so I apologize)

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...nveils_financial_plan_how_the_big_ten_is.html

It was based on a letter written by Barchi the dolt. Barchi was once again very clear what his goal was:

“Five years ago, I committed to reduce the direct support to Athletics from the University by $1m per year. That commitment is reflected in this budget. Direct institutional support for the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics will continue to decrease annually, until FY2021, when it will drop to zero."

What I found interesting, is in FY 2018 (which someone else will need to confirm on here what that time period is) our projected revenues from the B1G DOUBLE YOY:

"According to the university’s 10-year projections document in 2012, the Big Ten was expected to give Rutgers $11.2 million in 2017, $11.5 million in 2018, $14.9 million in 2019 and $19.3 million in 2020.

Rutgers’ new five-year projections plan shows a dramatic increase in those figures. The Big Ten is now expected to give Rutgers $12.6 million in 2017, $24.6 million in 2018, $27.1 million in 2019 and $29.4 million in 2020."

Now, I am sure this money is somehow accounted for in a projected budget, but I found it very interesting (and frankly convenient) that we get a 12 million dollar bump in TV money in 2018. That being said, I don't know if it matters and here is why.

I felt Ash would get a 4th year because we couldn't afford to fire him and his staff at $10m (and we probably still won't despite the bump) but if the difference in TV money is $3m by waiting until 2019, and his buyout dips another $2m, we save $5m by waiting until 2019. The question becomes, will we lose that much in ticket revenue/parking/concessions...not to mention the further destruction to the Rutgers brand? Possible (keep in mind our season ticket base is now at 22k), but do the higher ups (BOG/Pres) care from a macro level? Doubtful.

Furthermore, you REALLY put all your eggs into the basket of who you're going to hire because if you screw that one up, you're really behind the 8 ball financially, not to mention what the actual football program would look like if you need to can that guy 3 years later.

So IMO, this is harder that it looks because I don't see many coaches willing to come here and coach against the schools in our division after a guy with 2 years of NCAA probation to work with was canned after 3 years. We are likely going to see Ash in 2019 and they'll do some window dressing in December like firing the DC and some assistants. It gets easier to fire him in 2019 and we likely get a slightly better pool of candidates. I also think that's why they structured Ash's contract the way they did, so if something like this happened, it wouldn't be so easy to fire him. They wanted to give him enough time.

Just my 2 cents from re-reading Sarge's article.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News