Joe Paterno (merged threads)

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Originally published July 11, 2016 at 9:07 pm

The Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Barring a last-minute appeal, a Philadelphia judge is poised to unseal documents from an insurance lawsuit that could shed new light on allegations a boy told Penn State coach Joe Paterno in 1976 that assistant coach Jerry Sandusky molested him.

Judge Gary Glazer is expected to release records Tuesday that also may contain details about claims Penn State assistant coaches saw “inappropriate contact” and “sexual contact” between Sandusky and a child in 1987 and 1988.

Sandusky’s lawyer has denied the allegations. Sandusky is serving 30 to 60 years on a 45-count child molestation conviction.

Before Paterno died in 2011, he told a newspaper the first inkling he had that Sandusky was abusing children came in 2001, when assistant coach Mike McQueary complained about Sandusky in a team shower with a boy.

Please stop. You're looking for a witch hunt and it's very, very sad.

That's an absurd statement. My comment was merely intended to warn against premature celebration of PSU's situation because there's a possibility that Schiano may have also had some idea that Sandusky was up to no good.

Reactions: Block R and vkj91
I'll give you all the cliffs notes version since there are literally hundreds of pages:

No new allegations involving Joe Paterno. The deposition of the 1976 victim claims Jerry Sandusky abused him (I'll spare you the details here) in front of other football campers, and the victim then told other campers and coaches, but cannot remember what he told them or who he told. He then says he spoke with Paterno directly, and Paterno was dismissive, but then the victim never told another soul - a teacher, a parent, a police officer, etc. - until a random friend in the mid-1990s. None of these many people around at the time can be produced to corroborate the claim.

A couple of mentions of a former assistant coach, who is now dead, witnessing Sandusky and a child, and a trainer who is now in the NFL. I'll be curious to see his response. Tom Bradley and Greg Schiano were mentioned in a Mike McQueary deposition. Obviously they are both around to answer any questions. As far as I can tell, everyone involved, who is able, must have denied the allegations or chose not to comment, based on the statement from the PSU president a few weeks back.

FWIW, outside of the 1998 and 2001 incidents, which have been discussed at length, no other incidents in these docs were ever documented to have been reported to anyone.

Two other interesting notes:

A damages expert says PSU wildly overpaid the claimants.

No documents pertaining to the 1971 incident that CNN disbelieved, and then decided to believe when it felt it had the cover of the judge's earlier ruling.

Reactions: redking
There is unlikely to be anything in the released documents that proves that Paterno knew. Certainly the documents contain cases of testimony of someone claiming to have informed Paterno. But the 409'ers will just dismiss that as someone lying in order to defame Paterno or for monetary gain.

Reactions: jmc11201
the 1976 victim probably felt there was no use in telling anyone after the treatment he got from Joe. 12 yr old at PSU football camp already has high regard for the man, so he isn't going to question how his complaint was handled

Rutgers & Pitt fans today

...and also...the Insurance company's saying Paterno killed Ray Gricar.....and...and....JFK...and...and...is partially responsible for 9/11......what else???...more more!!!

200.gif

enjoy your day, fellas....should be a lot of fun

As much as I'd like to not hear about this story, part of me would feel greatly satisfied knowing a single joebot has come to terms with reality.

Reactions: JQRU91
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...records/?postshare=3711468329658719&tid=ss_tw

Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse in 1976 per testimony in newly unsealed records

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?'” the man’s lawyer asked him in 2014.

“Specifically. Yes … I was shocked, disappointed, offended. I was insulted… I said, is that all you’re going to do? You’re not going to do anything else?”

Paterno, the man testified, just walked away.

The school reached a settlement over the matter, paying out $93 million to 32 victims.

the 1976 victim probably felt there was no use in telling anyone after the treatment he got from Joe. 12 yr old at PSU football camp already has high regard for the man, so he isn't going to question how his complaint was handled

I find it hard to believe a young boy who was bold enough to tell other players, coaches and Joe Paterno himself about this alleged abuse would then be too timid to tell his parents, or a teacher, or any other adult. Obviously, I cannot put myself in the mind of an individual going through that type of trauma, but his initial actions don't seem to suggest he'd be afraid to tell others. Also, from Paterno's viewpoint, it would have been pretty damn bold to dismiss a kid who had the guts to come forward in that fashion as someone who would never tell another soul, and thereby exposing Paterno's coldness toward his allegations.

To believe the 1976 allegations is to believe at least 10-15 people were aware of what happened - people that the victim now can't remember, nor can he remember what he told them exactly - and chose to do nothing, and none of them could be produced to corroborate the allegation. I suppose reasonable people can disagree here, but I'm still in the camp where uncorroborated deposition is just that, and miles away from proof of anything. Instead, and this is regardless of what the actual truth is, you're about to watch "journalists" piss all over the profession's grave today accepting it as fact.

Top newsView all
Link to headline article
Sandusky accuser: I told Paterno about shower assault in 1976A man claims he told Joe Paterno and his assistant coaches the day after Jerry Sandusky allegedly molested him in a shower at a 1976 football camp, but Paterno…

Philly.com
Jul 12, 2016
Search results

1. Tim Urban and 3 others follow

Breaking NewsVerified account ‏@BreakingNews 39m39 minutes ago
    Late Penn State coach Joe Paterno knew of abuse claims against Jerry Sandusky in 1976 - Penn Live

114 retweets48 likes
  2. Ralph Vacchiano and 1 other follow

NY Daily News SportsVerified account ‏@NYDNSports 22m22 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Joe Paterno was told in 1976 that Jerry Sandusky abused a boy, according to testimony in unsealed docs http://nydn.us/29Br3xy

51 retweets15 likes

3. Post SportsVerified account ‏@PostSports 51m51 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse in 1976 per testimony in newly unsealed records http://wapo.st/29tlyCT

221 retweets48 likes
  4. Gerry DiNardo and 1 other follow

Jason WhitlockVerified account ‏@WhitlockJason 27m27 minutes ago
    Jason Whitlock Retweeted Washington Post

Paterno truthers, let's hear you explain this one.

Jason Whitlock added,

Washington Post @washingtonpost
    Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse in 1976 per testimony in newly unsealed records http://wapo.st/29BpChv
    47 retweets55 likes

5. amy walterVerified account ‏@amyewalter 13m13 minutes ago
    Time to stop idolizing this man. Paterno knew of Sandusky abuse in '76 http://www.washingtonpost.com https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/07/12/joe-paterno-knew-of-jerry-sandusky-abuse-in-1976-per-testimony-in-newly-unsealed-records/?campaign_id=A100&campaign_type=Email…

13 retweets19 likes

6. Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow 2m2 minutes ago
    Tim Montemayor Retweeted Kevin McGuire

#Paterno is just as guilty as #Sandusky

Tim Montemayor added,

Kevin McGuire @KevinOnCFB
    Per @washingtonpost, Sandusky victim abused in shower at 1976 football camp at PSU told Paterno about incident, and Paterno walked away.
    1 retweet1 like

7. Anonymous News ‏@Anon_Celebrity 2m2 minutes ago
    Paterno was told of Sandusky's child abuse in 1976: court docs: The then-14-year-old victim told Paterno that...

0 retweets0 likes

8. Seth Sharp ‏@SethSharp35 2m2 minutes ago
    It blows my mind that people still support Joe Paterno. Absolutely disgusting.

2 retweets3 likes

9. NESbot OT ‏@NESbot_OT 3m3 minutes ago
    Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse in 1976 after 14 year old boy came to him

0 retweets0 likes

10. Mark ‏@MarkMizzouSteel 3m3 minutes ago
    Mark Retweeted Washington Post

Paterno and his ilk just need to slide into history and that is all. He lied and we all know it.

Mark added,

Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse in 1976 per testimony in newly unsealed records http://wapo.st/29BpChv
    0 retweets1 like

11. Ryan Melyon ‏@RMelyon 4m4 minutes ago
    Joe Paterno thought football was more important than reporting child molestation in 1976 http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20160713_Judge_unseals_records_on_claim_Paterno_knew_about_Sandusky_abuse.html…?

1 retweet2 likes

12. Kevin Zellmann ‏@KevinZellmann 4m4 minutes ago
    I wish I believed in Hell. Because knowing Joe Paterno is rotting there for eternity would be comforting.

0 retweets2 likes
  13. Ryan Dunleavy and 1 other follow

Garrett Stepien ‏@GarrettStepien 5m5 minutes ago
    Garrett Stepien Retweeted Washington Post

How will the Paterno apologists spin this latest disgusting finding?

Garrett Stepien added,

0 retweets2 likes

14. D-Lobi ‏@Dlobi123 5m5 minutes ago
    I knew Joe Paterno knew about Jerry Sandusky touching those football players smh

0 retweets1 like

15. trash chet af irl ‏@MouseRat_Fan 5m5 minutes ago
    trash chet af irl Retweeted Debbie

Take of the day is blaming the Paterno-Sandusky stuff on a presidential candidate

trash chet af irl added,

Debbie @hiorns57
    @PostSports @greta great Sexual predators with POWER get FREE passes Hillary wants to bring a Sexual predator back to the people's house NO
    0 retweets1 like
  16. Sal and 3 others follow

Kevin McGuire ‏@KevinOnCFB 5m5 minutes ago
    Obvious counterpoint Paterno-supporters will make is allegation is testimony that happened after Paterno died, nearly four decades later.

0 retweets0 likes

17. Michael David Smith ‏@MichaelDavSmith 9m9 minutes ago
    There was a time when a short list of America's most admired men would have included Joe Paterno and Bill Cosby. We don't know our heroes.

10 retweets9 likes

18. Jen LadaVerified account ‏@JenLada 12m12 minutes ago
    Just call in sick today, Paterno defenders.

6 retweets21 likes

Reactions: socaldave
I don't have the time to go and read through all of this but common sense tells me there will be some people that make allegations now just to get paid.

The victim, who was identified in court records as John Doe 150, said that while he was attending a football camp at Penn State, Sandusky touched him as he showered. Sandusky’s finger penetrated the boy’s rectum, Doe testified in court in 2014, and the victim asked to speak with Paterno about it. Doe testified that he specifically told Paterno that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, and Paterno ignored it.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?'” the man’s lawyer asked him in 2014.

“Specifically. Yes … I was shocked, disappointed, offended. I was insulted… I said, is that all you’re going to do? You’re not going to do anything else?”

I find it hard to believe a young boy who was bold enough to tell other players, coaches and Joe Paterno himself about this alleged abuse would then be too timid to tell his parents, or a teacher, or any other adult. Obviously, I cannot put myself in the mind of an individual going through that type of trauma, but his initial actions don't seem to suggest he'd be afraid to tell others. Also, from Paterno's viewpoint, it would have been pretty damn bold to dismiss a kid who had the guts to come forward in that fashion as someone who would never tell another soul, and thereby exposing Paterno's coldness toward his allegations.

To believe the 1976 allegations is to believe at least 10-15 people were aware of what happened - people that the victim now can't remember, nor can he remember what he told them exactly - and chose to do nothing, and none of them could be produced to corroborate the allegation. I suppose reasonable people can disagree here, but I'm still in the camp where uncorroborated deposition is just that, and miles away from proof of anything. Instead, and this is regardless of what the actual truth is, you're about to watch "journalists" piss all over the profession's grave today accepting it as fact.

Isn't that what happened with the later cases where no one did the right thing and made sure Sandusky went to jail?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The following year, Jerry was promoted to Defensive Coordinator and started a state wide charity to help disadvantaged young boys.

Anything for football wins.

Nothing is going to change. The PSUcultists will continue to live out the jopa fantasy and everyone else will understand the reality that he chose to protect the brand rather than do the right thing. It is that simple.

It disgusts me when paterno apologists say it's hard to believe they would tell anyone. Are you a freaking doctor or do you study this behavior for a living? The answer is clearly no because this is exactly what innocent victims of child abuse act like. They are embarrassed, mortified and they think it's their fault. This has been studied over and over and this is the exact behavior to be expected. It's just sick and sad how people defend anyone that was there during all hose years.

Yes, because years of research on PTSD since the mid-70s has shown that victims who are exposed to a traumatic event tend to prefer to relive that traumatic event over and over again.

you're a good guy. It's okay to be ashamed of people you looked up to without blaming the victim.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT