ADVERTISEMENT

Knightmoves: Story to share

ru78

Senior
Aug 24, 2002
I was most recently at a trade in Chicago. Noticed down the isle a guy posing with people and giving out footballs. As I got closer, noticed they were Raider footballs. As a kid growing my favorite team. Turns out to be Phil Villapiano and I had asked if he had gone to Bowling Green and he said yes. I then rattled off jack Tatum the "ASSAIN" from Passaic. He mentioned growing up in Asbury Park. I told him I was from Paterson and went to Rutgers. Asked what was Howie Long like a player and he told me he was traded to the Buffalo Bills that summer when he got drafted by the Raiders. I then asked him what are his thoughts of Rutgers to the Big Ten. This is when it soured after a fun 5-6 minutes of football talk. He replies: "Rutgers should of stayed in the league they were in because the Big Ten teams will over power them and that it will tough time to compete and Rutgers should play the likes of Lafayette and Lehigh". I did get a photo of him with the signed football. I can post it if their is an interest.

llKKRrB.gif

You always say the right things. I was surprised of the retired football players that I met over the years that he lost a lot weight and did not look like a football player. Guessing he was around 180 pounds versus what he weighed back then as a linebacker.

When people question why RU has such problems recruiting NJ, they should remember this story.

For generations this has been the impression of RU football around the state. For RU to get the top Jersey kids they not only need to change the mind set of recruits but just as important their families, friends, and coaches. Nothing is done in a vacuum and the kids are not immune to outside influences.

Phil Villapiano appears to have done a great number of fine civic / charitable things & has accomplished quite a bit in his business career in an ever evolving field ... but for some strange reason his perceptions about Rutgers seem to be oddly & firmly stuck back in 1967 - the year he graduated from high school & headed out of the state to go to college.

Phil Villapiano appears to have done a great number of fine civic / charitable things & has accomplished quite a bit in his business career in an ever evolving field ... but for some strange reason his perceptions about Rutgers seem to be oddly & firmly stuck back in 1967 - the year he graduated from high school & headed out of the state to go to college.
Time warp?

Good story ru78. Some of my former golf buddies from Monmouth County went to Ocean Township HS and played FB with PV. Said that he was a great guy.

Agree that he appears to have the old school mentality about RU FB. He probably hasn't kept up with the strides made by our FB program since Greg Schiano came on board in 2001.

Phil and his brother ran the local Raiders fan club for years. He would be at many of the viewings each Sunday as well.

According to this guy, Rutgers is still an Eastern Independent.

Yes - since he graduated High School and made his choice to go out of state to college during the next to last year of the Johnson Administration - he is probably clinging to the idea that - - - Rutgers is specifically an All-Male Eastern Independent populated by guys in seersucker suits with straw hats who are paired with co-eds from that Women's school - Douglas

I guess he was out of the room when they announced the Michigan score. Or the score of the Michigan State game when we last played them. Or the score when we played MSU in 1988, etc.

You always say the right things. I was surprised of the retired football players that I met over the years that he lost a lot weight and did not look like a football player. Guessing he was around 180 pounds versus what he weighed back then as a linebacker.
When I met Tommy Nobis and shot skeet with him at an NFL alumni event, I couldn't belI've how small he is now.

When I met Tommy Nobis and shot skeet with him at an NFL alumni event, I couldn't belI've how small he is now.
I can say the same for Lydell Michell along the side of Jersey native Franco Harris at trade show 10 years ago. Lydell was very short and not thick but Franco with a graying afro was huge about the size of short in height offensive lineman. When asked if the ball hit the turf during the AFC Championship against the Raiders, he grined and moved on with the conversation.
Dave Duerson of the Chicago Bears secondary who committed suicide had the thickest fingers that I ever seen on a person.
Knightmoves can help: The wrestle from Tampa, FL was huge and friendly with the ladies but a prick to the guys. Laughed at me and said he brake me in half like a toothpick. All show and a loud guy.

I will check the football because it listed all of the Raiders Super bowl wins
Not sure if they were in Oakland or LA for at least one. Signed "Just Win Baby: Al Davis signature quote when he was alive. Fun jibe DJ. Must be an old fart with plenty of time to post nearly 30K.

I can say the same for Lydell Michell along the side of Jersey native Franco Harris at trade show 10 years ago. Lydell was very short and not thick but Franco with a graying afro was huge about the size of short in height offensive lineman. When asked if the ball hit the turf during the AFC Championship against the Raiders, he grined and moved on with the conversation.
Dave Duerson of the Chicago Bears secondary who committed suicide had the thickest fingers that I ever seen on a person.
Knightmoves can help: The wrestle from Tampa, FL was huge and friendly with the ladies but a prick to the guys. Laughed at me and said he brake me in half like a toothpick. All show and a loud guy.

ru78,

Might you be talking about the Hulkster ?

Problem is ole' Phil is not the only one who thinks of us that way. Win consistently and we change perceptions.....win here and there and it is only an outlier season as far as anyone is concerned. As Kevin Spacey said in 'Seven' '....you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention.'

ru78,

Might you be talking about the Hulkster ?
Hulk Hogan
He is a Tampa area resident now and he grew up in the area according to the restaurant help. Was a frequent guest is what I was told. Forget the restaurant but near a bay.

Always wonder why we don't schedule Lehigh instead of Norfolk St, Morgan St or Howard.

Lehigh doesn't strike me as the type of school willing to get their heads bashed in for a pay day. Does Lehigh play any p5 teams?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT