ADVERTISEMENT

Last night and the portal

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Last night was a great game and I would like to play Hofstra at the RAC and not as a buy game during the last week of December every year. Good test.

Kudos to those 5000 plus who attended.

2 kids who I know Rutgers is getting involved with are Dame Adelekun and Joe Jones of Georgia State. Both would see considerable minutes.

Cliff is not an NBA player as of today and there are many ways being explored to get him NIL at Rutgers.

My hunch is that Paul,Miller and Reiber are not back,but no inside info.

The loss has nothing to do one way or the other with the Dylan decision.

Let's wait to see if Ace signs on the dotted line.No guaranteed there.

Joe Jones? The guy averaging 3.3 points per game in two seasons at Georgia State? That's the guy we want? If Rutgers is projected to give significant minutes to that guy I'm gonna take a pass on next season.
Has a history injuries. His brother is Greg Oden who also was injury prone. I'll trust the staff.

There should be no surprise that a five star recruit might change his decision before signing date.Negative recruiting against Rutgers will be in full throttle in coming weeks for 2024 recruits.Bailey and Harper will be at the top of the list.
Great. I just cannot take another end of season collapse. Not closing on Ace would not be a good look given other misses..this one with the fish in the net.

It should be expected. This was an epic collapse. Reminds me of 2013 football, and we all know what happened there.

Not acceptable to crumble that badly and lose in the first round of the NIT at home. If we lose some of these recruits, why be surprised?

Enough with the positivity crap. This was a meltdown for the ages.

Has a history injuries. His brother is Greg Oden who also was injury prone. I'll trust the staff.

"Trust the staff" is the dumbest point that can be made on a forum. If we're all trusting the staff there would be zero posts here. Did you trust them with Jalen Miller? With Dean Reiber?

Reactions: kcg88
There's a less than zero chance RU brings in either the Dartmouth or Georgia State kid.....and I don't see anything to be concerned with in regards to Ace Bailey.

RU72 is an ardent supporter/fan of Ivy League basketball, but it is rare that Ivy League players, especially front court players, make any impact other than being a backup or role player once they transfer up. There's a 5% chance that a player helps, unless the goal is upgrading over Dean Reiber as your 10th or 11th player on the roster.

Last night was a great game and I would like to play Hofstra at the RAC and not as a buy game during the last week of December every year. Good test.

Kudos to those 5000 plus who attended.

2 kids who I know Rutgers is getting involved with are Dame Adelekun and Joe Jones of Georgia State. Both would see considerable minutes.

Cliff is not an NBA player as of today and there are many ways being explored to get him NIL at Rutgers.

My hunch is that Paul,Miller and Reiber are not back,but no inside info.

The loss has nothing to do one way or the other with the Dylan decision.

Let's wait to see if Ace signs on the dotted line.No guaranteed there.
Dame Adelekun stats are phenomenal 13.8/7.2 in a little over 23 minutes/game
56% from the field 7/17 from 3 on the year so maybe some potential there
Ivy League has been a decent conference too
have to find some video

If Cliff’s back I’m fine with taking a chance on Jones and his injury history. Otherwise, we need to do way better.

I know we’re all still hurting but if Cliff is back we have a chance to be good again. I’m not saying I want Paul gone, absolutely not. But if 72 is right:

PG: Simpson, Davis/Transfer
SG: Spencer, Griffith
SF: Griffith, Mag
PF: Mag, Hyatt/Chol/Ndongo
C: Cliff, Wolf/Transfer

For anyone asking where’s the depth, most teams don’t play more than 7-8 guys in real games. Palm, Reiber, Miller are fine end of the bench guys and if you think Pike’s bringing in more than 1-2 transfers you’re nuts.

There's a less than zero chance RU brings in either the Dartmouth or Georgia State kid.....and I don't see anything to be concerned with in regards to Ace Bailey.

RU72 is an ardent supporter/fan of Ivy League basketball, but it is rare that Ivy League players, especially front court players, make any impact other than being a backup or role player once they transfer up. There's a 5% chance that a player helps, unless the goal is upgrading over Dean Reiber as your 10th or 11th player on the roster.
Paul Atkinson (Yale) was great for Notre Dame. Jordan Brunner (Yale) was a very good rotation player for a 2 seed Alabama. Chris Knight (Dartmouth) was the starting center for 10 seed Loyola last year. Seth Towns (Harvard) was good for Ohio State until he got hurt.

Upgrading over Reiber is exactly the sort of thing we need to be doing.

Trust the staff might be second only to the epic idiocy of "I only want players who want to be at Rutgers."

My issue with "I only want players who want to be at Rutgers" is that it negates any recruiting efforts by the HC.

I want some players who DIDN'T want to be at Rutgers.
But our HC is such a good recruiter and our program has such a great outlook - he gets those players anyway.
You think Ace Bailey grew up wanting to go to Rutgers? No. But HC Pike used his recruiting (and NIL......) efforts to get him to commit.

Nobody this year, I went back a year

Jimmy Boeheim - Cornell to Syracuse
Paul Atkinson - Yale to Notre Dame

If Cliff’s back I’m fine with taking a chance on Jones and his injury history. Otherwise, we need to do way better.

I know we’re all still hurting but if Cliff is back we have a chance to be good again. I’m not saying I want Paul gone, absolutely not. But if 72 is right:

For anyone asking where’s the depth, most teams don’t play more than 7-8 guys in real games. Palm, Reiber, Miller are fine end of the bench guys and if you think Pike’s bringing in more than 1-2 transfers you’re nuts.
I'd say Simpson is both PG/SG and Ndongo SF/PF and Hyatt is gone
But otherwise, I agree and that will be a much better team than this year's

Gavin is not a 2, dude. Him and Cam will be on the floor at the same time. Gavin will start. Book it.

Indeed.

A starting backcourt of Simpson, Spencer, and Griffiths brings a skill set we haven’t seen at Rutgers in a long time.
Yup - 3 guards on the floor most of the time just like this season.

have to find some video

Paul Atkinson (Yale) was great for Notre Dame. Jordan Brunner (Yale) was a very good rotation player for a 2 seed Alabama. Chris Knight (Dartmouth) was the starting center for 10 seed Loyola last year. Seth Towns (Harvard) was good for Ohio State until he got hurt.

Upgrading over Reiber is exactly the sort of thing we need to be doing.

Nobody this year, I went back a year

Jimmy Boeheim - Cornell to Syracuse
Paul Atkinson - Yale to Notre Dame
Small sample size, but 2 players heavily discussed here last year really struggled jumping from Ivy League to P5 (Jaelin Llewellyn and Ethan Wright).

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Small sample size, but 2 players heavily discussed here last year really struggled jumping from Ivy League to P5 (Jaelin Llewellyn and Ethan Wright).
It's for sure a gamble. Mike Smith from Columbia was great for Michigan two seasons ago, Jaelin Llewellyn from Princeton struggled. The chances are way better than 5% though.

Reactions: GoFish2 and Scangg
have to find some video
Not sure where Hawk is coming from but Dame starts at Rutgers and plays 30 mpg. I am not certain why Jones is being looked at and he would be at best a role player. No League in the country produces better portal talent than the Ivy because you can't play a 5th year there and loads of kids,for obvious reasons chose Ivies over Stanford, Northwestern,Michigan,etc.Yale has a center from Dallas coming in who chose them over Texas and Baylor. A banger. Ledlum is probably the most talented portal kid,but he is not considering Rutgers. Here is a partial list of standouts,which are in direct contrast to his off role player comments:
Makai Mason at Baylor
Aiken at Seton Hall
Bruner at Bama
Towns at Ohio State
Atkinson at ND
Cambridge at ASU
Boeheim at Syracuse
Friberg at Belmont

And dozens more.Both bigs and guards. The Rutgers staff knows this and tried hard on Llewellyn,Wright and immediately tried on Tosan Evbuomwan of Princeton who after Cliff was the second best NJ college player this year.

Gavin is not a 2, dude. Him and Cam will be on the floor at the same time. Gavin will start. Book it.
I have him as the starting 3, dude. I think he can play the 2 for a few minutes per night while Cam sits, though.

It’ll be a big lineup so play some bully ball on offense. He will get any shot he wants except against tall athletic 2’s. Yes he will struggle defensively at first but if he wants to play in the league, he will need to be able to stay in front of college guards.

Also Mag’s more of a 3 than a 4 so it works out, though as we both know Mag will need to play mostly 4 to accommodate Gavin.

I have no inside on Ace except being told that the SEC types are still on him and have huge deep pockets and won't stop. Hopefully it won't matter as Knight has a serious in with him through a relative.
Wish you would’ve said this originally, instead of making a cryptic post that people rightfully interpreted as you having some inside info.

So basically the post is that the other teams are still gunning for Ace. No shocker there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT