ADVERTISEMENT

Football Latest I've got on Rutgers coaching search

Alex Gleitman

All Conference
Staff
Jul 8, 2019
I spoke to a source "in the know", who gave me some scoop on what he has regarding the latest on the coaching search.

The source felt pretty strongly that Greg Schiano was the top choice for Rutgers, but that it wasn't a slam dunk that Schiano would take the job. From the source's understanding the ball is in Schiano's court right now, but it seems like he may be playing "hard to get" with RU, meaning there may be some other options on the table for him that he's exploring and strongly considering. Is Schiano seriously looking at another opportunity over Rutgers or is he just using that as leverage to ensure all of his conditions are met by the administration (i.e. assistant salary, continuous facilities upgrades, support staff, etc.)? That is a question that is hard to answer right now, but from what my source told me, Greg Schiano is definitely the guy Rutgers wants as their next head coach. It seems Schiano does have an appetite for a return "On The Banks", but the circumstances need to be how he wants them for that to happen.

But what about the news that the search firm was hired? Well, as mentioned, things very well may not work out with Schiano, either because he goes with another gig or he can't get RU to concede to everything he's asking for. In that case, the Scarlet Knights obviously have to have a "Plan B", which is where the search firm comes in. The firm will be not only helping Hobbs and the key stakeholders identify a pool of candidates (many obvious, some not as much), but also vet them inside and out, to try and find the right "culture fit". Many feel that Chris Ash checked all of the boxes you're looking for in a head coach, but that his downfall was that he just didn't understand culture/what it takes to be able to have success in the area and at RU. There are many intangibles that go into that, and that will be a big part of what the firm is helping with here---overall just a much more in-depth and thorough vetting process than the last search.

That's what I've got for now---no specific names outside of Schiano, but that he's the top choice and that RU is currently working through "Plan B" options should it not work out with Greg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News