ADVERTISEMENT

Longerbeam’s Near Transfer

Posted this in a couple of the Gavin-related treads, and glad you posted this as it's own thread. This shows how Greg handles these situations. Not every situation is the same, but he went out of his way to convince Longerbeam to stay. We don't know what he said to Gavin when they named AK the starter, but surely that did not mean that GW could not win the job back if he stayed.

But having been the starter, and wanting to keep that role, it is certainly understandable why Gavin decided to hit the portal. We may never know the particulars of what was said if Gavin was encouraged to stay or hit the portal.

Great story. I can confirm that no boss has helicoptered ahead of me to convince me to stay in a job. 😁
I had a boss who told me he is missing his helicopter ride to the Hamptons to convince me to stay.

I think the whole key to this is how Greg flew down there not to say come back Robert and you will be the starter. He made it clear, come back and compete and you will be given a fair start to earn the position. Integrity from both of them, GS saying you will be given a fair shot and RL coming back to take that shot. Folks question why so many RU players who could have left and come back this year, this event a few years ago shows why. Coach Schiano develops his kids into men, and they believe in him because he is upfront with them, treats them like men and is honest.
We have a good program building and thank you to GS and RL for being a part of that and making us proud of RU Football.
Longerbeam is going to rock it this year and follow Max into the draft in 2025.

I think the whole key to this is how Greg flew down there not to say come back Robert and you will be the starter. He made it clear, come back and compete and you will be given a fair start to earn the position. Integrity from both of them, GS saying you will be given a fair shot and RL coming back to take that shot. Folks question why so many RU players who could have left and come back this year, this event a few years ago shows why. Coach Schiano develops his kids into men, and they believe in him because he is upfront with them, treats them like men and is honest.
We have a good program building and thank you to GS and RL for being a part of that and making us proud of RU Football.
Longerbeam is going to rock it this year and follow Max into the draft in 2025.
All well and good but more in conference W’’s on Saturday is the important thing.

Reactions: jtung230
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT