ADVERTISEMENT

Major changes in the works for college Avenue, several buildings to be demolished and a state of the art large student center to be built

Heard some speculation that the new dining hall won't be built until 2029?!?! Haven't validated this. Anyone hearing otherwise or have more details? That's pretty disappointing if accurate.

On both admitted students day and Rutgers day, I heard many parents with their children very concerned about not having a dining hall on College Ave. For one family it most likely meant going to another school.

Reactions: Leonard23
On both admitted students day and Rutgers day, I heard many parents with their children very concerned about not having a dining hall on College Ave. For one family it most likely meant going to another school.
It's really odd that they didn't find the money to build a new dining hall years ago.

They updated the Rutgers Student Center and added the atrium.

The food concepts in the Atrium will join Café West as dining locations on the College Avenue Campus.

The five concepts include:
- Pi Pizza
- Mezze (Mediterranean)
- Scarlet Ginger (Asian)
- Three Chilies (Southwestern Tex/MexMex
- King’s Hawaiian burger/sandwich concept

Most dining halls are moving toward individual offerings rather than buffet style. My son is on cook and eats at the Douglass Student Center most of the time.

Last edited:
I can only speak anecdotally, but my son(FR on College Ave) and his friends hate the Atrium and they often trekked to other campuses(mostly Busch) to get dinner at the dining halls there.

I think RU is missing the boat here.
I've heard and read a bunch of complaints that students want a real dining hall with normal sit down, not some nonsense grab and go.

I've heard and read a bunch of complaints that students want a real dining hall with normal sit down, not some nonsense grab and go.

Yep, Corey's friends down at RU NB have said the same thing to him. It's nice to have an alternative place to go (he had Jersey Mike's up in RU Newark), but the dining hall is a central place to meet up.

Reactions: Leonard23
I can only speak anecdotally, but my son(FR on College Ave) and his friends hate the Atrium and they often trekked to other campuses(mostly Busch) to get dinner at the dining halls there.

I think RU is missing the boat here.
I was only trying to supply information.

I have heard that after freshman/sophmore year dining halls are overrated and a waste of time. They would rather grab and go and hang out.

Rowan moved to a pre order via the app and pick up or eat in. That seems to be the new trend.

Last edited:
I was only trying to supply information.

I have heard that after freshman/sophmore year dining halls are overrated and a waste of time. They would rather grab and go and hang out.

Rowan moved to a pre order via the app and pick up or eat in. That seems to be the new trend.
I agree that upperclassmen need the dining hall much less. Many live off campus or in apartments and already have a large group of friends.

But 50% of students are underclassmen and the lack of a dining hall is a real problem for them.

Reactions: SF88 and Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT