ADVERTISEMENT

McConnell Update

As bad as Willis’s injury was (knee) it still allowed him to drag his leg onto the court and hit his first shot.
It’s also one of my greatest sports memories.
You can’t do that with a bad back, they’re simply debilitating.
I remember Don Mattingly busting Winfield’s chops for missing a game in 1985 with a bad back…A few years later after injuring his own back he said I will never question someone missing a game with a bad back again.
Still hoping for a miracle recovery from Caleb for tonight anyway.
Think Willis hit his first 2 shots and that was it. Clyde and rest are d the team took over from there.

Reactions: SJScarlet
As bad as Willis’s injury was (knee) it still allowed him to drag his leg onto the court and hit his first shot.
It’s also one of my greatest sports memories.
You can’t do that with a bad back, they’re simply debilitating.
I remember Don Mattingly busting Winfield’s chops for missing a game in 1985 with a bad back…A few years later after injuring his own back he said I will never question someone missing a game with a bad back again.
Still hoping for a miracle recovery from Caleb for tonight anyway.
I always thought people with bad backs were just lazy but I learned lol. Youth = dumb sometimes

Reactions: zappaa
Remember that game well... Was just a kid, but loved NBA and Knicks back then, although my favorite team was the Baltimore Bullets. Couldn't wait to see the weekend televised games. Loved the way the game was played, loved the fact that there were only about 14 teams so it was easier to be familiar with many of the rosters, more teams had multiple stars, and each team played each other 6 or 7 times per season, so you had more chances during the regular season to see the top players in the league play against your favorite team...
Baltimore Bullets…Phil Chenier…I hated them. But grudgingly respected Wes Unseld.

Give me:
Willis Reed
Dave Debusschere
Dollar Bill Bradley
Walt Frazier
Dick Barnett

Reactions: mikeyo and Kbee3
All the mentions of strong core, etc. are great and all and make total sense. That said, this probably doesn't apply to Caleb. Guaranteed that guy prob. has a 6-pack and plenty of core strength, ha.

Yes, he's probably got a great build and all that, but when it comes to back injuries that doesn't necessarily equate to stabilizing your core so that it heals. There are a wide variety of exercises and stretches that are not included in weight and exercise routines which can really help overcome this. To be clear, it's usually not a quick fix, but a gradual climb out of the pain.

And something else to consider in general: he's playing a sport with a lot of vertical motion, so that constant jarring on the body from landing takes a toll on the overall skeletal structure not just the lower/mid back.

Williams played 21 minutes vs Indiana on Saturday 2/11 - (EDIT - that was over a week ago, he missed their last two games) and between 28-32 in the three games before that. He's been a key part of their rotation.

Jett Howard is their 2nd leading scorer behind Dickinson. He is probably their 2nd most important player on the season.

Barnes isn't much of a factor.

Looking at this another way, they have five players that have started 14+ of their 16 conference games. Two of those players are Howard (29.9 minutes) and Williams (26.3). Their other starters are Dickinson (Cliff, stay out of foul trouble and make him work); Bufkin (6' 4" guard, very talented on O), and Dug McDaniel (listed as 5' 11", we've got to use our size advantage with whoever he is trying to check).

This would be a massive equalizer if both are out tonight.

Baltimore Bullets…Phil Chenier…I hated them. But grudgingly respected Wes Unseld.

Give me:
Willis Reed
Dave Debusschere
Dollar Bill Bradley
Walt Frazier
Dick Barnett
bullets had cool uniforms but always a thorn in the Knicks side. My favorite player ever, Earl “The Pearl” Monroe, started there, until the Knicks got him and then I liked him even more.

Last edited:
Elvin will always be remembered for his play in 1968 for the Houston Cougars as they ended UCLA's 47-game winning streak in the "Game of the Century" in the Astrodome.
The "Game of the Century"
"Up to that point, only NCAA post-season games had been broadcast nationally, so there was much skepticism regarding where the broadcast would take the non-profit organization's policy.[9] The broadcast drew a vast television audience in addition to the 52,693 fans who had filled the Astrodome for its first basketball game. Each school received $125,000 for the game, four times the 1968 NCAA tournament payout of $31,781"

Reactions: Kbee3 and AZBlues
bullets had cool uniforms but always a thorn in the Knicks side. My favorite player ever, Earl “The Pearl” Monroe, started there, until the Knicks got him and then I liked him even more.
When I was a young kid and a huge Bullets' fan, Earl Monroe was one of my idols... Had an action photo of him on my desk at the time that I'd cut out of Sports Illustrated and put in a frame... Bummed when he went to the Knicks... Too bad that Earl the Pearl couldn't have still been on the team when Bullets had Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes together in the front court, two more of my favorite players from that era...

(Disclaimer: This post was not intended in any way to cause Plum Street additional suffering, frustration, angst,, or traumatic stress....)

Reactions: Mr Magoo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT