ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile at Old Dominion... LOL

RUScrew85

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 7, 2003
1399764430153177410.png

Reactions: MikeR0102
The good thing is that this was not a fraternity but an off campus house involving fewer students. Shouldn't be too difficult to do a roster check if ODU students are renting that house. This is very bad publicity for the school and I expect they will want to punish the guilty for this.

Reactions: eceres
The good thing is that this was not a fraternity but an off campus house involving fewer students. Shouldn't be too difficult to do a roster check if ODU students are renting that house. This is very bad publicity for the school and I expect they will want to punish the guilty for this.
Is house owned by the school? If not what can they do? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they will but if it's off campus and not school owned it's more BS.

Reactions: bac2therac
If someone's really smart and entrepreneurial they've got a stand set up selling Maalox. Pepto Bismol and bootleg valium to the parents dropping off their little girls for their freshman year.

PS I think ownership of the residence is irrelevant. I'll bet that violates some kind of honor code.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Looks like Sigma Nu taking the heat on this one. Funny, but not too smart in this day and age.

If someone's really smart and entrepreneurial they've got a stand set up selling Maalox. Pepto Bismol and bootleg valium to the parents dropping off their little girls for their freshman year.

PS I think ownership of the residence is irrelevant. I'll bet that violates some kind of honor code.
But it should be relevant. The school shouldn't have the authority to control every aspect of these kids lives especially when they have zero issue with profs tweeting whatever they want.

I'd like to see the college honor code rule this would violate.

College kids joking about getting laid. Not really shocking. What is more shocking is the article I saw trying to tie it to the false notion of campus rape being on the rise.

Wow talk about an overreaction. College kids trying to get noticed on social media/one-upping what is done elsewhere. Story at 11.

Reactions: bac2therac
Lighten up ...... this is college ...... where did we lose our way as a nation ? College prank, nothing more, nothing less

Exactly! I think it's funny as hell!! Where's the harm? Mindless freshmen girls walking through the doors of humiliation, where does it all end!!! LOL

If anything those signs just assured those guys, that no girl will enter those halls of shame. lol

So does the OP disapprove or did he actually write these signs before drunkenly catcalling at every woman to walk by, some of whom were actually dudes with long hair?

My bet is on the latter.

Reactions: MikeR0102
Oh MY GOD!!!

These terrible people should be drawn and quartered in a highly publicized fashion. What has our world come to? This is a black mark of shame against ODU, Virginia and our society as a whole.

a few brews makes doing that seem like a great idea and no harm is/was intended.

Love the middle-aged men defending this. Not the end of the world, but embarrassing behavior that just put Old Dominion in the news cycle for all the wrong reasons.

Also, would you want to have to drop your daughters off on campus while shameless meatheads target them in such open fashion?

Also, would you want to have to drop your daughters off on campus while shameless meatheads target them in such open fashion?

Since neither I nor my daughter would be under any illusion that there were no shameless meatheads targeting unsuspecting girls on campus, these signs would be just a way to remind her to keep her wits and avoid meatheads like this.

But it should be relevant. The school shouldn't have the authority to control every aspect of these kids lives especially when they have zero issue with profs tweeting whatever they want.

I agree, if this is off campus, besides doing something a little crude what law did they break? No curse words, no racial insensitivity which is the big thing now, I say slap them on the wrist and move on.

It would be a major overreaction on OD's part to toss someone out of school for this.

This doesn't even fall under PC. It's some college guys having harmless fun. Where does it say drop your daughter off to be sexually ravaged? Give me a break move on!

Reactions: BaseballFan913
Any parent dropping their daughter off and having not instructed them on the real life situations like this in this world has not done their job as a parent.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that this creates a rather unwelcoming (or, I suppose, overly welcoming, in a really creepy way) environment for half of the incoming student population. I wouldn't put up with it if I were the university, either.

I agree that it's worth no more than a slap on the wrist and not the end of the world. But those condoning it as "harmless fun" should cough up their adult cards.

This doesn't even fall under PC. It's some college guys having harmless fun. Where does it say drop your daughter off to be sexually ravaged? Give me a break move on!

Apparently concepts like innuendo and reading between the lines escape you.

I had a full single life (maybe too rich - led me to be a bit too caddish for too long and to get married very late) vis a vis young ladies so I am not a prude by any means. However, I do not think what they wrote and displayed is just "fun" or funny. The fact is that in many case (not all) young men in college (and otherwise) view the boundaries of partying and the mating ritual very differently and young ladies, particularly when drinking too much (and yes I know it's their fault for doing so) can be very vulnerable to the aggressive advances of young men, particularly where they don't want to be seen as "prudes" or not cool. Of course if young ladies (like many young men) want to be promiscuous, that's up to them.

What is reflected on the banner and, more so, in the fact that they felt comfortable enough to display it, is a perfect example of the mentality that leads guys to thoughtlessly seek to engage in non-consensual sexual activity with young ladies which often has very destructive consequences to the young ladies involved. So I think addressing the banner to show that approaches like that, even jokingly, should not be the norm among young men who ascribe to be gentlemen, is the right way to go and referring to it as PC or something like that misses the point. The mentality that fosters banners like that and a hundred examples of other similarly offensive utterances (whether sororities do it as well or not - and if they do, shame on them) is simply wrong and one of the ostensible things that college is supposed to teach young people - I would think - is the difference between right and wrong.

Last edited:
I had a full single life (maybe too rich - led me be a bit too caddish for too long and to get married very late ) vis a vis young ladies so I am not a prude by any means. However, I do not think what they wrote and displayed is just "fun" or funny. The fact is that in many case (not all) young men in college (and otherwise) view the boundaries of partying and the mating ritual very differently and young ladies, particularly when drinking too much (and yes I know it's their fault for doing so) can be very vulnerable to the aggressive advances of young men, particularly where they don't want to be seen as "prudes" or not cool. Of course if young ladies (like many young men) want to be promiscuous, that's up to them.

What is reflected on the banner and, more so, in the fact that they felt comfortable enough to display it, is a perfect example of the mentality that leads guys to thoughtlessly seek to engage in non-consensual sexual activity with young ladies which often has very destructive consequences to the young ladies involved. So I think addressing the banner to show that approaches like that, even jokingly, should not be the norm among young men who ascribe to gentlemen, is the right way to go and referring to it as PC or something like that misses the point. The mentality that fosters banners like that and a hundred other similarly offensive stuff is simply wrong and one of the ostensible things that college is supposed to teach young people - I would think - is the difference between right and wrong.
man you got a lot our of those banners. Here I was thinking they were simply young immature knuckleheads. Who would have thought that scribbling something on a dirty sheet could help me determine who was or wasn't a potential rapist. I will be on the look out for people hanging sheets with cartoons on them as they are probably pedophiles.

What's funny is that ODU is really a commuter school. No one is really getting dropped off.

man you got a lot our of those banners. Here I was thinking they were simply young immature knuckleheads. Who would have thought that scribbling something on a dirty sheet could help me determine who was or wasn't a potential rapist. I will be on the look out for people hanging sheets with cartoons on them as they are probably pedophiles.

Not what he said. At all.

Not what he said. At all.
actually it is.......

"What is reflected on the banner and, more so, in the fact that they felt comfortable enough to display it, is a perfect example of the mentality that leads guys to thoughtlessly seek to engage in non-consensual sexual activity with young ladies which often has very destructive consequences to the young ladies involved."

Actually, no, it isn't.

Unless, of course, you're saying that "example of a mentality" somehow equates to a predictor of specific behavior, in this case rape?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT