Minnesota @ #2 Purdue

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
The Gophers are up at the half on the road 43-35

Our next two opponents going at it

Minnesota is a good team. They are fighting for a chance to make the dance too. I believe bac said they have the worst OOC SOS so that's a huge red flag

Win at Purdue is as good of a win as there is though... if they can hang on

Minnesota is a good team. They are fighting for a chance to make the dance too. I believe bac said they have the worst OOC SOS so that's a huge red flag

Win at Purdue is as good of a win as there is though... if they can hang on
Let’s hope not. I think we are tied for 7th if Minn loses.

Probably the best outcome tbh. A fairly efficient loss gives the Gophers a path toward Q1 while not giving a bubble rival a quality win

Reactions: Scangg and Pdabs
No doubt but just watching, we are a different team.

Simpson is playing so much more relaxed. Love seeing him take a move to the basket and then dish. He’s so quick. These guys might still be getting better.

JWill, dials up the Mulcahy Special, knows he needs to feed Cliff on the oop to ignite the RAC. As soon as we started the 2nd with that, I texted game over to my friends. No way the crowd was letting us lose. Barely any early leavers today.

Reactions: BillyC80
Probably the best outcome tbh. A fairly efficient loss gives the Gophers a path toward Q1 while not giving a bubble rival a quality win
Along with the emotional letdown of shooting so well and having a lead that you let slip away

Hawkins is going to have a tough time with Davis hounding him. Hopefully Mag back on Garcia. JWill on Christie.... I feel like I keep saying this now but.... I really like this matchup

Scangg, I've been thinking Cliff would draw Garcia. He's 6' 11" that's a lot of height for Mag. Granted Payne is 255# and that is a load, too. Either way, it does look tough if Mag is not playing. But I like where you're at with the rest of the D. Only five turnovers for the Gophers tonight. I expect we will force considerably more.

Scangg, I've been thinking Cliff would draw Garcia. He's 6' 11" that's a lot of height for Mag. Granted Payne is 255# and that is a load, too. Either way, it does look tough if Mag is not playing. But I like where you're at with the rest of the D. Only five turnovers for the Gophers tonight. I expect we will force considerably more.
Cliff has to guard Payne. Mag on Garcia is a lock as long as he's playing

I saw the back end of the first half when Minnesota was hotter shooting the three than we were against Wisconsin. They have a nice team. Payne is an active big who more polished this year. Garcia is very tall but seems to prefer the perimeter. Christie can also shoot the ball.

I see some real match up problems for us particularly if Mag cannot play. We are going to have to play a much cleaner game than last night on the offensive end to offset what I expect to be a rebounding and foul disadvantage.

I see some real match up problems for us particularly if Mag cannot play. We are going to have to play a much cleaner game than last night on the offensive end to offset what I expect to be a rebounding and foul disadvantage.
Matchup problems work both ways. I see a Minnesota team where Christie won't like being checked by Williams, and Davis and Simpson will make life difficult for Mitchell and Hawkins. Hawkins has 5+ assists in 18 straight games. Let's see how he handles Davis being all up in his business on Sunday night.

This is another team that gets very little contributions from their bench and looked bad at Iowa when Garcia was out in the second half. He is the key to this game IMO.

Reactions: Scangg and DirtyRU
Lots of people saying yesterday that a Purdue win put us at #7 but the sports sites (including https://bigten.org/standings.aspx?path=mbball ) have us as #9.

Anyone know why? Or do they just not count tiebreakers at this point
I do not know why, but the tiebreakers at the moment would have us as the 7 seed if the season ended today.

Rutgers 1-0 (beat Indiana)
Indiana 1-1 (lost to us, beat Minnesota)
Minnesota 0-1 (lost at Indiana)

Minnesota and Indiana play again in March.

Boy, those standings are tight with only two games between the double bye in 4th place and the 12 seed.

I saw the back end of the first half when Minnesota was hotter shooting the three than we were against Wisconsin. They have a nice team. Payne is an active big who more polished this year. Garcia is very tall but seems to prefer the perimeter. Christie can also shoot the ball.

If Mag plays, what are "some real matchup problems"?

I absolutely love our matchups in this game with Mag. Without, I don't like the Garcia matchup, but that's it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT