ADVERTISEMENT

Monangai > Berger

ru-baby

All American
Aug 11, 2001
Ru went after Berger twice. He opted the second time for the Mel Tucker pitch.

Monangai to my understanding was in the recruiting mix to help get Berger. Gald GS kept with it and offered and honored evben after Berger chose Wisc. With Saquon Taylor and rb near misses, so nice to catch a break!

Seems like a great kid and has been a monster all year and today when he was needed. Kudos to KM!

During the recruiting stage Berger had all of the hype, the four stars etc the 4.4 forty. He had all of the curb appeal and multiple big time offers. etc.. What was KM, a 2 star with little recruiting fan fare although his high school stats were off the charts But most people who saw both said KM was a better running back.

Needless to say......Berger has had a fairly good college career but not close to KM's.
KM had alot of Ray Rice in him today. Great vision, great balance and impossible to bring down

If he had been rated higher we probably don't get him.

Does anyone else see some Ahmad Bradshaw in Monangai? Pretty sure he's going to have a really good NFL career even though he might be drafted late or a UDFA.
I see a little more of an elusive Ray Rice. Similar style where they seek out contact and keep moving forward instead of going down.

Seems clear to me he should be the bell cow going forward and limited only by how much work he can handle.

Reactions: LOU-RU85 and Zak57
But most people who saw both said KM was a better running back
That of course is not accurate as COACHES saw both and berger had offers from everywhere and KM had two. The people paid to watch them play made determinations. "Most" nearly all of them. So most people who saw them didnt have that take. Glad it worked out and it's a great career unfolding but let's not rewrite history.

Monongai is a punishing runner more than he is elusive. Rice was the opposite. Not a good comparison.

Brown is a feature back who will likely look for another opportunity next year if he doesn’t get more plays. kM is a beast and taken the spot. Have to go with the hot hand but feel bad for Brown.

they both had very comparable stats

Berger is faster on the clock and bigger in addition to being a good receiver out of the backfield. Unfortunately, a lot of scouts today are tied to numbers vs the eyes

when you don't have 4.4 speed, 3/4 of coaches won't even watch regardless of how well you run

Brown is a feature back who will likely look for another opportunity next year if he doesn’t get more plays. kM is a beast and taken the spot. Have to go with the hot hand but feel bad for Brown.
buh bye

we are stacked at rb and KM and Benjamin are the future of the position

That of course is not accurate as COACHES saw both and berger had offers from everywhere and KM had two. The people paid to watch them play made determinations. "Most" nearly all of them. So most people who saw them didnt have that take. Glad it worked out and it's a great career unfolding but let's not rewrite history.
Saw them both play in high school. Was much more impressed with Monangai in the games I saw. Spoke with people I know that coach in the big north and they all said Berger presents better at combines and has better measurements that is why he had so many more offers. Both are d1 players but Monangai was the guy they worried about defending against.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Not punishing like this. Great college player, quicker and more elusive than KM. KM described here as a beast. Don’t think Ray was that kind of runner.

Not so stacked that a quality big back when healthy should be ignored. That being said, when you have a player at any position who's in a zone you stick with him. And for a couple of games last season it was Brown.j
he'd make a good short yardage back but he's not the best back on the roster and dare I say, is fighting for 3 spot on depth chart

Looks like Jawan Jamison but has the strength like Ray.
I am going to take this word for it...

BTW- today did remind me of a combo of Jawan and Ray. Was thinking the same thing. The thing I would have hated if I was on the Dline with Ray though, you just couldn't see him behind the OL and he would hit his spot with a center of balance 2 ft off the ground. Would be like trying to tackle a 210 lb boulder rolling down a hill but not seeing it until it hit you...

Reactions: RUnTeX
Also- in regard to today's game- we may see other B1G players that may show more yds and or TD's then KM today but would almost be impossible for him not to get the B1G offensive player of the week. I have never seen a 100 yd quarter where the longest run was only 21 yds.

He’d be an idiot if he left. KM is a junior. Would not be surprised if he tests the waters in the draft.

I would think a lot of defenders are not happy to see him coming.

Not so stacked that a quality big back when healthy should be ignored. That being said, when you have a player at any position who's in a zone you stick with him. And for a couple of games last season it was Brown.j
This is what's surprising to me. Not taking anything away from KM but our offense took a big hit last year after Brown went out with his injury. Is he still not fully recovered or is KM just playing that much better this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT